• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine oil spray under hood on front of engine.

Marmaduke2011

I took my 11 Nytro xtx for a little dig and when I went to park the sled there was oil leaking out of the belly pan and oil spray on the forward part of the engine and the hood. I tried to track down the cause of the oil spray, and was not able to see anything. So I ran the sled for 20 min and there was still no sign, I know that if the sled is tipped the oil can leak out of the oil tank, but that is not the case in this situation. Has anyone else had this problem?

Are you sure u did not overfill it? We just had our Nytro RTX do the same. We changed the oil and made sure we had the correct amount. Problem solved.

It might have been a little bit over full, but would that cause it to spray oil across the engine compartment? I have a roll over valve on the oil tank, so the vent line no longer goes into the air box

whenever my sled is laidover on its side it leaks oil out the vent and it somehow ends up in the airbox then it just leaks out of that no big deal.

Hi Marmaduke. I experienced the same problem shortly after installing the yamaha rollover kit. The return line in the center of the reservoir split open obviously from an over pressure and I lost 2L oil before engine shut down. I have not proven this yet, but my theory is that the roll over solenoid stuck closed when I started it outside @-25C, and that would not allow the crankcase or reservoir to vent. In your case if a hose didnt blow, could those low psi hose and small spring clamps let go allowing oil to squirt out under pressure? and then once warm, or once you looked closer, you found no smoking gun (ie ruptured line? cracked reservoir?) i have just been riding locally near roads and cell phone coverage, and since have had sled in warm shop it hasnt failed? I am debating taking the rollover solenoid out before riding in remote mountain areas where it is a helicopter ride home!

I could be wrong but the valve is only supposed to close when the tether is pulled grounding the relay causing it to cut power to the sled sending it to the valve instead causing it to close, as long as the key is on and tether in place (only way engine will run) the valve should not be closed even before starting on cold days.

Of course I am using a OFT ROV not yamaha so it may be different but I was under the impression they operate in the same way

NVM I reread and I believe you are referring to the relay(or solenoid) being stuck not the valve. Is this correct? Even so I would think it would be the same concept. It should be set like the valve and be in the position allowing power to the sled not the valve allowing the sled to run, if it was stuck sending power to the valve than it should not allow power for the sled to run

snownytro19: I apologize for responding to your same dilema in different threads :o| I didn't remember I posted on the other one before leaving work. At least here I was able to be a little more descriptive for my thoughts instead of while i was on my phone at work.

snownytro19: I was just reading what you had wrote, and that is very possible. It was -30ish the day that this happened, so that roll over valve could have froze closed causing the tank to pressure up. The only other thing that I thought could have been the cause is the vent on the valve cover. If it had froze it might have done the same thing.

The roll-over shut-off valve is a normally open type of valve. This means that if there is no voltage being supplied to the valve it defaults to the open position.
Normally open valves are much safer then using a normally closed for several reasons.
For example, often times there will be moisture present in the breather line. If the sled sits outside overnight in sub-freezing tempratures and freezes the moisture in the hose, it may be possible to freeze any trapped moisture in the valve also. Because the valve is always open when the key/engine are off, if there is frozen moisture the valve would be "frozen" in the open or venting position. This allows the oil tank to vent normally on cold start mornings. As the engine warms up, the warm air flowing through the breather hose and thaws out the moisture.

The other primary safety benefit to using a normally open valve is that if there is a power loss to the ROV system such as a blown fuse. The valve cannot close while the engine is running and is defaulted to open, which in turn allows the oil tank to vent normally.

The shut-off valves will flow air both directions, however the valve is directional. The valve is a flat piston type of valve and during normal engine operation there is positive air flow exiting the breather hose. In this case it is desireable to have the positive air flow exposed to the bottom or sealing side of the piston. What this does is effectively make the valve into a "pop-off" type of pressure release valve.
On Nytros and Phazers the "shorter fitting" should face towards the oil tank.
On Apexes and Supercharged Phazers that have larger fitting attached, you'll want the lower fitting facing towards the crankcase (Apex) or oil tank S/C Phazer.

Electrically the ROV systems use either a switching relay or dual pole tether switch. The relay contacts or dual pole tether switch will either be in the engine run position or engine off/ROV on position. By design both sets of contacts cannot be engaged at the same time, its either in one position or the other. (kind of like a knife switch in those old Frankenstein movies, its either up or down)!!
This prevents the system from appling voltage to the valve, while the engine is running.

Another safety feature is the red flashing LED. The LED will flash anytime there is power being applied to the shut-off valve. In this case you should never see the LED flash while the engine is running. If the LED flashes while the during engine operation, the rider should shut down the engine right away and investigate the cause. Just like you would do if a red warning light came on in the dash of your car/truck. ;)!

Bill

Bill,

Awesome explanation, thats exactly what I was thinking but could not for the life of me explain it in such a detailed manner.

For these systems (I use OFT), due to the normally closed design of the OEM kill switch it would probably be advisable to disable it as I mentioned in the other thread correct? Reason being that if (or when) during a roll over the kill switch is depressed it effectively kills power to everything including the ROV and therfore defaulting open effectively defeating the purpose of the valve preventing oil loss.

s1d3w1nd3r1480 said:
Bill,

Awesome explanation, thats exactly what I was thinking but could not for the life of me explain it in such a detailed manner.

For these systems (I use OFT), due to the normally closed design of the OEM kill switch it would probably be advisable to disable it as I mentioned in the other thread correct? Reason being that if (or when) during a roll over the kill switch is depressed it effectively kills power to everything including the ROV and therfore defaulting open effectively defeating the purpose of the valve preventing oil loss.

With the Four Stroke Solutions versions, you can leave the handle bar kill switch connected/functional and it won't effect the ROV operation. The ROV cicuit is designed so that if the kill switch does get pushed down during a roll over, the valve will still stay closed.

I'm not sure about the OFT version though as there are some slight differences in circuit layout due to the different switches used. I would check with Rick at OFT to see what he recommends to be sure.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I do know on the OFT one I have with the key on and tether pulled I can hear the valve cycle closed and open as I cyle the kill switch. So i guess my observation is geared towards OFT users, and maybe its just mine for some reason. This does not bother me though as i seem to inadvertantly hit my kill switch while riding so i don't miss it anyways. Just something others should check I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

:rocks:

Back