• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine Overheating Problems - Any Known Resolutions?

as far as overheating, i'm going to keep the big flipper floored and if she blows up then yamaha can eat it, i think everything will be fine once we all have time to really break them in, there yamaha's they don't break

I like the pinning the big flipper idea best. thats what the warranty is for right???

I think that something along these lines would work best.[/img]
This is an accessory part from Yamahas website for thier ATV's.

ArcticFlier

Attachments

• RADIATOR GUARD.jpg
    RADIATOR GUARD.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 92
i got that kit on ebay, ITs worth the Try to me for $21 Shipped... What do they MAKE FOR THAT UGLY HOLE IN THE REAR TUNNEL?

donnyrhodes said:
i got that kit on ebay, ITs worth the Try to me for $21 Shipped... What do they MAKE FOR THAT UGLY HOLE IN THE REAR TUNNEL?
hey donnyrhodes look at my solution http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q274/checkman39/
it is easy to make didn't cost me a penny and it's water tight as for the radiator screen. I made my own almost a month ago. I personally think my setup looks better than the one on ebay

Just to pass on an update, Yamaha Factory says "do not cover the hole in the tunnel at this time due to cooling issues with the exhaust that may be caused."

Looks like I'll be putting some kind of guards in there to block the snow splash. As for the rad, I've decided to wait till I get the sled next week, test the coolant, then try it out if the coolant is good and see what happens. If cooling is not an issue, then I don't give a crap if the rad gets plugged with snow and ice. If it is running too hot and needs the rad to be clear, I'll cut out the entire panel in front of it, guard it with steel, and line the guard with SLP Prefilter material.

dont think it will be a big problem on groomed trails,there is a bit of snow that forms in the bottom of the rad but it looks like its melting enough to keep things cool,that's on groomed trails,in the powder could be different story.

SharkAttak said:
as far as overheating, i'm going to keep the big flipper floored and if she blows up then yamaha can eat it, i think everything will be fine once we all have time to really break them in, there yamaha's they don't break

i agree with sharkattak cuz my attak was overheating a couple times in the first 300kms on 3 feet powder snow and after that and once my first service was done haven't had a problem yet and the conditons were hardpacked too.

CHEERS JP

Does the mtn lite have a cooling fan? cause I swear and my bro in law swear that we can hear a fan cycle on and off.
if not.. I'm hearing things...

swmpr1 said:
I like the pinning the big flipper idea best. thats what the warranty is for right???

Have you guys ever thought of breaking in your expensive new machines before you destroy them?
This is why I am scared of buying a used sled.

It needs at least 300 miles of varied rpm, limit high rpm use and definitely no deep snow, where the engine is under light load and high revs!!

(adding in: read the motoman break-in, it is good.)

If you can't take the time to break it in and let the engine loosen up and run cooler, which it will, whatever you get you deserve!

Not saying the rad exposed isn't a problem, IT IS but thrashing a sled with 100 miles on it is not a great idea.

These aren't 2 strokes guys, where it just has to seat a set of rings... they have cams, valves, tighter clearances, higher cylinder pressure, bearings on the cranks and rods and they all need time to get broken in properly. This will reduce the overall operating temp by a lot (maybe 20% or more)
So take it easy for the first 4 tanks of fuel or so, then change the oil and filter. If you plan to keep these for a few years you are only doing yourselves a favor. :ORC

ski said:
swmpr1 said:

Have you guys ever thought of breaking in your expensive new machines before you destroy them?
This is why I am scared of buying a used sled.

It needs at least 300 miles of varied rpm, limited full throttle use and definitely no deep snow, where the engine is under light load and high revs!!

If you can't take the time to break it in and let the engine loosen up and run cooler, which it will, whatever you get you deserve!

Not saying the rad exposed isn't a problem, IT IS but thrashing a sled with 100 miles on it is not a great idea.

These aren't 2 strokes guys, where it just has to seat a set of rings... they have cams, valves, tighter clearances, higher cylinder pressure, bearings on the cranks and rods and they all need time to get broken in properly. This will reduce the overall operating temp by a lot (maybe 20% or more)
So take it easy for the first 4 tanks of fuel or so, then change the oil and filter. If you plan to keep these for a few years you are only doing yourselves a favor. :ORC

I think that's an improper break in. Mototune. WOT, seat those rings.

Back