• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine reinstalled and won't start...any ideas

SRX44 said:
I think I would go back to basics and start with a compression test. You have spark and fuel but without compression its going to do what your describing. This is a good way to verify valve timing, integrety of rebuild and cyl oil seal, maybe washed down. Simple way to get alot of info! Just a thought. Good Luck

HaHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Of course I shoulda compression tested 3 days ago. I didn't have access to a tester until today. No Compression in #2 and #4. Intake vale or valves not closing on these two cylinders. Took it apart and found two friggin shims not seated...one on each of those cylinders center intake valve. Installed shims correctly and checked all others. Put her back together and "fought" with the intake cam. Wouldn't line up very well and seat very well but kinda got it in place. Turned motor over by hand and turned over good. Did compression test on all 4 cyls before reinstalling valve cover. all 4 cyls were around 150 psi. Engine cold and cylinders pretty washed down with gas from previous days floodings.

Put her back together and she fired right up!!!!! Didn't even have to touch the throttle. Started in like 3 or 4 seconds and ran like a brand new sled.

Uh Oh....ran smooth for about 20 secs then started to die. gave some gas and just didnt seem right. Re-checked compression and found it dropped to about 75 on all four cyls. I'm 99% sure cam jumped a tooth. Don't know why yet. Must have to do with how we had to fight that intake cam/chain/sprockets the whole way. I think the chain was riding high on both sprockets because on cam alignment and it finally settled in and skipped the tooth.

No more time left to fix today. Borrowing a 500 Polarass Classic and riding this weekend.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Wish I had access to compression tester 3 days ago...but, oh well.

Anyone up in Old Forge/Big Moose area this weekend, look for me with my buddies. I'll be on the baby blue polaris 500.

I'll give it another go on Monday !

...Wayne

wayne go to daikers have 15-20 beers,then to totes
you will forget all about that sled untill mon.have a good weekend

wantboost said:

Thanks for the suggestion. You know that's gonna happen. I might settle on 12 - 18 beers though...any more than that would be irresponsible :drink: :drink: :drink:

stoutner said:
wantboost said:

Thanks for the suggestion. You know that's gonna happen. I might settle on 12 - 18 beers though...any more than that would be irresponsible :drink: :drink: :drink:

Glad you found it!

Did you remember to activate the cam chain tensioner?

Is she up and running?

Watch for the radar traps! They are cracking down in light of all the accidents and fatalities.
But there isn't any speed limit on the lake on front of Daikers!!!!! Have at it with that 500...

rxrider said:

Is she up and running?

She is up and running. Compression tested after she warmed up and all cylinders within 5 psi. All are still sround 150-155 but battery is a little dead and engine not spinning very fast.

I do not know what you mean by "activating" the chain tensioner. When you take the screwdriver out, it seems to activate. Is there something I should do? How do you activate it?

It does seem to idle a bit rough once it warmed up but I screwed around with that black IAC screw the other day and have no idea where it was set. I gues I'll just play with it until I can get it to idle smoothly. What RPM should it idle at? about 1500?

1200-1500 per the manual, at operating coolant temp. Before you set it, go out and beat on it to clean it out and get it up to temp. That way the valves will all be seated good, too.

How was Old Forge?

You should have mentioned you didn't have one, i could have driven up with my manual and helped you drink your beer.
Next time you blow it up..

Mauri, I consider myself to be an expert now. How many guys can tear it out, tear down the engine, and reinstall it in 7 hours? Pretty easy to do now since I did it 3 times in the last two weeks...lol

P.S. We drove all the way up to Big Moose Saturday, arrived at 9 am and it was raining. We figured we'd wait it out. After two 18 packs, two college basketball games, a NASCAR race, and some chick flick that was on, it still didn't stop raining. Anyway, spent the night and never even offloaded the sleds. I was looking forward to beatin on that 500 Classic. :o|

stoutner said:
rxrider said:

Is she up and running?

She is up and running. Compression tested after she warmed up and all cylinders within 5 psi. All are still sround 150-155 but battery is a little dead and engine not spinning very fast.

I do not know what you mean by "activating" the chain tensioner. When you take the screwdriver out, it seems to activate. Is there something I should do? How do you activate it?

It does seem to idle a bit rough once it warmed up but I screwed around with that black IAC screw the other day and have no idea where it was set. I gues I'll just play with it until I can get it to idle smoothly. What RPM should it idle at? about 1500?

Here's what my manual says:

5. Install:
Timing chain tensioner
Installation steps:
 While lightly pressing the timing chain tensioner
rod by hand, turn the tensioner rod fully
clockwise with a thin screwdriver 1 .
 With the timing chain tensioner rod turned all
the way into the timing chain tensioner housing
(with the thin screwdriver still installed),
install the gasket and the timing chain tensioner
2 onto the cylinder block.

Tighten the timing chain tensioner bolts 3 to
the specified torque.
Bolt (timing chain tensioner):
10 Nm (1.0 mkg, 7.2 ftlb)
 Remove the screwdriver, make sure that the
timing chain tensioner rod releases, and then
tighten the cap bolt to the specified torque.
Bolt (cap):
6 Nm (0.6 mkg, 4.3 ftlb)
Turn the crankshaft
(several turns clockwise)

stoutner said:
P.S. We drove all the way up to Big Moose Saturday, arrived at 9 am and it was raining. We figured we'd wait it out. After two 18 packs, two college basketball games, a NASCAR race, and some chick flick that was on, it still didn't stop raining. Anyway, spent the night and never even offloaded the sleds. I was looking forward to beatin on that 500 Classic. :o|

You would have been better off trailering towards Buffalo and down to Springville, we got pounded with snow this weekend from that storm. It was a little drifty, but no rain. That sucks.

Back