• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine temp

Vmax

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Arctic Cat ZR 6000 El Tigre
I just got back from a two day ride. The trails where mostly farm fields and in good condition. I noticed after riding for a bit at a constant 45-50 mph the engine temp would start to rise. Started at 167 then up to 190, then up to 205. The trails were chopped up from sled traffic, so in other words we were not riding on fresh groomed.
If I could find and edge of the trail that was groomed the temps went down fairly quickly, if not the temp would take several miles to finally get back to 167.
Is this normal for this to happen with this type of riding? I usually ride on trials that we cannot sustain that kind of speed for miles and miles.

Mine only goes over 200 if I’m stopped for a few minutes otherwise fluctuates between 165 to 185. But also have redline water wetter in my cooling system

What you experienced was ice building up on the heat exchanger. Hard to believe, that ice can form on something hot, but it can.
Hit a couple bumps, most of it falls off, and temperatures begin to slowly fall.
You never did get over 205, right? That means your fan is working.
Spoke with our local Yamaha rep about 200 degree temperatures.
He said let the radiator & fan do their job. Normal.
It's a 4 stroke like your car. My Yukon runs 210 all the time. Normal.
We'd like to see the coolant gauge bar resting someplace towards the middle.
Takes some getting used too that 3/4+ black is normal at times.

What you experienced was ice building up on the heat exchanger. Hard to believe, that ice can form on something hot, but it can.
Hit a couple bumps, most of it falls off, and temperatures begin to slowly fall.
You never did get over 205, right? That means your fan is working.
Spoke with our local Yamaha rep about 200 degree temperatures.
He said let the radiator & fan do their job. Normal.
It's a 4 stroke like your car. My Yukon runs 210 all the time. Normal.
We'd like to see the coolant gauge bar resting someplace towards the middle.
Takes some getting used too that 3/4+ black is normal at times.
Yup and colder weather seems to make it happen more often. It’s weird but you will see a instant drop once the chunk falls off exchanger. This sled needs bumps and jumps!

Awesome.....thanks guys

You could try the Moflow knee vents. With the amount of heat that comes out of them it has to help keep motor and clutch heat down a bit. I did not test before and after. But I believe they help.

Thanks for the tip

Back