• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EPS Conversion?

this is correct. And if yours is a 19, you need to make some simple changes to this harness for it to work properly. If we can figure out the right EPS unit connectors and secure them, making a standalone jumper harness would be easier and much cheaper than replacing the whole sled harness. The other option would be to remove the EPS unit female connectors (they look removeable) and just direct wire, which I know is not very elegant but would probably work fine.

View attachment 173999
This is my issue now! I bought all the parts listed and want to avoid getting a new harness, I have a 2019. I have been unable to source those female connectors locally. Really, the 2 prong is simple, can even use blade connectors if needed as its just power and ground. Would only need one of the wires for the 2nd connector, the wire that goes to ECU. I'm not too worried about the 2 wires related the CANBUS communications.
I guess I can pull off those female ones and see what's behind them? Trying to avoid buying a $600 harness for a few connections!

This is my issue now! I bought all the parts listed and want to avoid getting a new harness, I have a 2019. I have been unable to source those female connectors locally. Really, the 2 prong is simple, can even use blade connectors if needed as its just power and ground. Would only need one of the wires for the 2nd connector, the wire that goes to ECU. I'm not too worried about the 2 wires related the CANBUS communications.
I guess I can pull off those female ones and see what's behind them? Trying to avoid buying a $600 harness for a few connections!
Well I have some good news and some potentially bad news. The good news is I found the connectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264512114207 (for the diagnostic connector)

The potential bad news is that the the ECU/Gauge may still be involved with communicating to the PSU through the CAN BUS. If you look at the part number description for the gauge, it actually says "GAUGE,LCD-TACH/SPEEDO-CALIB-4 STRK-EPS", and is a distinct part number for the 2022-2024's.

Sitting in the garage the PS works. As some have suggest I've tried to figure it out if it backs off with speed on a track stand, but I can't discern it because there is no load on the steering. Only when I get it on the snow will I know if the assist backs off as speed increases.

Well I have some good news and some potentially bad news. The good news is I found the connectors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264512114207 (for the diagnostic connector)

The potential bad news is that the the ECU/Gauge may still be involved with communicating to the PSU through the CAN BUS. If you look at the part number description for the gauge, it actually says "GAUGE,LCD-TACH/SPEEDO-CALIB-4 STRK-EPS", and is a distinct part number for the 2022-2024's.

Sitting in the garage the PS works. As some have suggest I've tried to figure it out if it backs off with speed on a track stand, but I can't discern it because there is no load on the steering. Only when I get it on the snow will I know if the assist backs off as speed increases.
Awesome info! Just ordered the connectors.
Am still not convinced the gauge is needed. There's another guy in Michigan who is doing this conversion by sourcing the same parts and is installing them for dealers apparently. He makes no mention of needing the gauge, ECU or harness. He has offered to do this on the FB forums as well.

Awesome info! Just ordered the connectors.
Am still not convinced the gauge is needed. There's another guy in Michigan who is doing this conversion by sourcing the same parts and is installing them for dealers apparently. He makes no mention of needing the gauge, ECU or harness. He has offered to do this on the FB forums as well.
I saw that on a different post. I just don't know if the speed sensing part works...we will see.

Are these the only areas that need to be drilled out for bolts? Front of bulkhead for 2 bolts and side (2 or 3 bolts)
IMG_1025.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpeg
    IMG_1024.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 57
I saw that on a different post. I just don't know if the speed sensing part works...we will see.
You just need a way to put some tension on the ski tips. bunjie, weights, put the skis on the floor, something, anything to provide resistance will probably tell you what you want to know.

@Tcat100 So for wiring , if I am understanding the wiring schematic correctly, I can use the diagnostic connector port on my 2019 sled for the two canbus wires (gray/yellow and white gray). Where does the last wire go, the red/blue?

If you mean the Red/Blu on the diagnostics connector, that is just power that is on the shared bus of the taillight circuit, probably to power the diagnostic gear. For the purpose of connection to the EPS unit you can ignore it. On a 23, the EPS circuit (ORN/BRN) has its own 30Amp fuse and it is off of the battery fuse.

1701485895478.png

If you mean the Red/Blu on the diagnostics connector, that is just power that is on the shared bus of the taillight circuit, probably to power the diagnostic gear. For the purpose of connection to the EPS unit you can ignore it. On a 23, the EPS circuit (ORN/BRN) has its own 30Amp fuse and it is off of the battery fuse.

View attachment 174320
Yes exactly, that’s what I meant! Ok well that’s even easier in that case to wire up. So I guess the progressive speed ‘signal’ would be part of the canbus diagnostic connector (white/grey and yellow/grey)?

The other 2 prong is simply for power and ground connections as you pointed out here.
I have the connectors on hand now, just trying to figure out what wire terminal would lock into them (they come empty).

Yes exactly, that’s what I meant! Ok well that’s even easier in that case to wire up. So I guess the progressive speed ‘signal’ would be part of the canbus diagnostic connector (white/grey and yellow/grey)?

The other 2 prong is simply for power and ground connections as you pointed out here.
I have the connectors on hand now, just trying to figure out what wire terminal would lock into them (they come empty).
The information for the progressive speed is definitely there on the canbus.

In theory, as long as the canbus gateway feeding the diagnostic port is passing along all messages, patching into that diag port (Can High to Can High) will allow the EPS unit to receive any message that comes across it.

Canbus is a message bus that all participants read and write to. Each message on the canbus is written with an ID, every receiver is looking for specific ID(s). The data format is standard but the data itself is a mix of proprietary and standard information. The million dollar question is whether the EPS unit itself can read the speed data directly, interpret it, and react to it or is it a matter of the gauge doing the work and feeding back onto the canbus some ID/state that the EPS unit can receive and react to.

@Tcat100 So for wiring , if I am understanding the wiring schematic correctly, I can use the diagnostic connector port on my 2019 sled for the two canbus wires (gray/yellow and white gray). Where does the last wire go, the red/blue?
I think any switched power would be fine. The main high amp is hot all the time, so I think this red/blue is to power the circuitry vs the motor itself

The information for the progressive speed is definitely there on the canbus.

In theory, as long as the canbus gateway feeding the diagnostic port is passing along all messages, patching into that diag port (Can High to Can High) will allow the EPS unit to receive any message that comes across it.

Canbus is a message bus that all participants read and write to. Each message on the canbus is written with an ID, every receiver is looking for specific ID(s). The data format is standard but the data itself is a mix of proprietary and standard information. The million dollar question is whether the EPS unit itself can read the speed data directly, interpret it, and react to it or is it a matter of the gauge doing the work and feeding back onto the canbus some ID/state that the EPS unit can receive and react to.
Going to my house in the UP next weekend, but not sure if there will be enough snow to test

Certainly exciting to read about this. It went from not possible

To there is hope

I think it's always been possible, but if we need both an ecu (with new tune too) plus a gauge plus a harness, it'd be to expensive to be practical. So far we have at least knocked out the $600 harness based on sourcing the connectors and making your own jumper harness.

I wonder if td/precision/hurricane could flash them in the future. Since it's not plug and play I could see them being apprehensive

Back