• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Excessive steering play

prowler01

Fellas,
I've got an 07 Phazer MTX that I just bought for my boy. He's been riding it for about a month. This morning I gave it it's pre-ride inspection and noticed the steering was quite loose. With the skis facing forward you can move the handle bars about +/- 1.5/2.0 inches before the skis engage to turn (very sloppy). I looked at the steering arms and all seems tight on the bottom. How does one go about tightening this loose steering, so it's more responsive? Is there an adjustment required in the upper portion of the steering system??

Help?

Thanks

Welcome to a sloppy steering filled with alot of connecting points & plastic bushings... it's a common problem.
How many miles on it?.

My buddy has an '07 GT with just 2500 miles on it and everything is about shot.
He's started replacing stuff on the steering shaft and went with UP Bushman's steering kit as many of us have, it will tighten up the problem to a good degree.
Ball joints (just replaced 2- $140), spindle wear is part of the problems as well, it will nickel & dime you to death really on the price of some of these little OEM parts!

Recommend Oilite bushings in the A-arms too, they worked WAY better for overall front end tightness.
Good luck.

Steering play reply

Just took a look at these bolts and all seemed to be OK. The upper section of the steering control seemed to be slightly loose due to play in each one of the ball joints and connections. What a brutal plethora of linkages, and ball joints! Who does this. Anyways, it seems that the majority of play is after the upper linkages where they connect to the main vertical steering shaft. Not sure now what to do, replace all the steering ball joint components (which would help a bit if they were all replaced) or attempt to investigate why there is so much play on the main vertical steering arm?? Have any of you attempted working/replacing/tightening the main steering arm? When you turn the bars the upper linkages are moving (relatively acceptable amount of play) but are not actuating the main steering bar. It seems the majority of play is at the top of the main steering bar. I can also see a bit of lifting at the final upper linkage to the vertical steering bar. When all of sloppiness is taken out the skis begin to turn. This 2007 phaser MTX sled has 2000km on it.

Prowler

Steering play reply

Forgot to ask this question…..what is this recall you're talking about?? Is it for the steering? And how can I find out about recalls for the 2007 phaser MTX?? I doubt any of these have been done.

Prowler

Call your local yami dealer and ask them to run the vin #..07's have a good amount of recalls and updates..gives u a starting point..check out the search feature or the stickies at the top of the page for all the 07 updates..

ur son is going to have a riot on that sled!!!

Back