• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust bolt?

Ndoggct

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Looking for 18 sidewinder
hello I switched out my 6 exhaust bolts and wondering if everyone using lock washers or just going with regular 8x1.25 bolt? Thank you

I would say no, but I am not sure. I installed stainless steel studs, along with copper coated flange nuts.

Just went the bolts no lock washer.....and of course the anti sieze.

Yes, SS lockwashers and SS bolts, and the MUST is the nickel anti-seize. And then you dont crank them down too hard/tight IMO.

Mine removed with ease this season, and I always replace with NEW washers and bolts each time i install. Peace of mind that it wont snap next removal.

See my build thread link in SIG or click here: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/my-rtx-le-50th-build-thread-rockerdan.149801/#post-1384052

77124.jpg

img_9777-jpg.131736

Last edited:
Be Careful with the cheap Chinese grade Stainless bolts. They stretch and they shear easy too. I believe the torque spec is 9 ft lbs on the exhaust bolts.

I replaced mine with more of the same stock torx head bolts. After 5 or so removals they were looking pretty sad. Some looked partially bent while others looked like they may have started to twist a bit, so whereas I copied someone’s idea from TY and made a tool for the 2 tough ones, I stayed with the stock torx.

Whatever you use, it’s a must to stay on top of these, multiple times each season. Copper anti seize is not enough, so nickel or ceramic is a must!

I've been reading about this issue in the "frequently asked questions" section
Is this still.a issue for.2019? I haven't removed the muffler uet

I've been reading about this issue in the "frequently asked questions" section
Is this still.a issue for.2019? I haven't removed the muffler uet
Not so much an issue... Like most any equast bolt some tend to cease more than others. More preventive maintenance than anything else, remove bolts apply high temp antizieze and reinstall. I been good getting a few times out of the bolts before installing new ones, but I run the bolt in and out of the threads gently before retighining. Imo torquing these bolts are important.

Not so much an issue... Like most any equast bolt some tend to cease more than others. More preventive maintenance than anything else, remove bolts apply high temp antizieze and reinstall. I been good getting a few times out of the bolts before installing new ones, but I run the bolt in and out of the threads gently before retighining. Imo torquing these bolts are important.
Thanks i will pull it apart next week and do what you recommend!
Is there a gasket like the viper has on muffler?

A word of caution on ceramic never or anti-seize. I bought a bottle of the supposed “best” white ceramic stuff last year and when I went to take the bolts out, or I should say tried to take the bolts out, you guessed it, they seized, it turned to powder and jammed the bolts where they wouldn’t turn in or out. I ended up stripping the threads right off the bolt itself. I used regular copper anti-seize mixed with a bit of alum anti seieze the next time and never had a problem at all after that. I got lucky the threads come off the bolts and not out of the turbo!

I’ll never use the hi temp ceramic anti-seize again! Might as well throw dirt and lime dust on the bolts and assemble. Lesson learned.

Thanks i will pull it apart next week and do what you recommend!
Is there a gasket like the viper has on muffler?
I agree with KnappAttack... I use the copper and works good. The gasket is reusable for a bunch of times, it's a copper gasket I believe but non the less reusable.
Also a little trick is to warm up the sled to normal operating temperature, instead of using heat via a torch. The first time do a dry run cool motor so your not rushing after warming up motor and your familiar with the task.

Be Careful with the cheap Chinese grade Stainless bolts. They stretch and they shear easy too. I believe the torque spec is 9 ft lbs on the exhaust bolts.
SS is also very soft too...chinese or not, they can shear easily....why I do not crank down on them too much at all....removed my twice now, and with the nickel anti-seize they just easily turn out, not effected at all by the heat.

I still bought a box full, so I can replace them just about every time I remove.

Dan

Ive used the nickel anti-seize that I posted for 3 seasons now, a zillion heat cycles and its the only stuff ill use as I know mine come out so easily. I cannot comment on ceramic or copper, And wont use any other as I still have so much of the first can I bought from canadian tire...

Dan

Back