• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

exhaust cracked-----band clamps loose!!!

newrx1guy

Extreme
I noticed at the end of the season that my sled was getting louder.I gutted the stock muffler 2 years ago and just thought it was getting louder.took it apart the other day to install the new take-off exhaust i bought last year on ebay.I found that mine was cracked all away around one pipe,just back from the clamps.It did seem to loose some top end. I thought it might have been the 1 1/2 camoplast intense track and i geared it down one on the top gear.Would this be some of the reason??Would you loose more mid-range or top end.I was running with apexs but a couple give me a hard time last year Thanks

As they get older, often they get slower. Windshields get replaced with taller ones, Carbides get replaced, Tracks get studded, Wheels get bumped out of alignment, Rails get bent, Clutches get worn, Springs get weaker, etc. If you were getting your normal RPMs, I do not think that pipe was causing your loss of top end. Probably was causing a heck of a lot of noise, though. :)

exhaust band clamps loose

I put the stock exhaust back on and noticed, when I removed the gas tank that some of the exhaust rattle was also from the exhaust band clamps closest the motor are loose.Is it possable to tack weld them in place or do you have to replace the clamps?The clamps are tight I think they just wore out. Thanks

I do not have the book with me. But if these are designed llike I am thinking, can you grind or file off a bit of the collar that the bolt goes through to allow the clamp to get tighter?

When i change my exhaust donuts this year 3 of the 4 were toast i did what Len said to get the clamps to tighten up just a bit. My clamps were also turned all around.

I got the band clamps off without breaking any,quite surpisingly.I see what you mean about grinding the clamps so they get smaller.I did notice that I do need the exhaust donuts. If you remove the 4 muffler bolts will the whole exhaust move back to change the donuts?I just put the stock exhaust back on. Thanks

You remove the 4 bolts on the back muffler and theres two i believe allen head bolts that you have to remove to get the exhaust to move back. the 2 allen head bolts are under little rubbers and need to be heated or youll risk stripping them!! Once you get that out get a buddy to pull back on the exhaust and you push on the front pipes off the head and that will give you enough room to slip in the new gaskets.

Back