• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Almost had a very bad day! Sled caught fire

Were you at the Jack Pine lodge on Saturday?
Maybe? We did ~350 miles on Saturday. I was riding with an 1100 Turbo with obnoxious exhaust and a viper both all blacked out. We did run through Marquette on Friday night on our way up but headed east to Sault Ste. Marie and back on Saturday.

Googling Jack Pine, No we didn't stop there. Blew past that area around 1am Sunday morning getting back.

I'm up North for the week on the high speed trails and seen this post and was concerned about heat with my header. Well after running 100 miles at good speeds I can say that with the added vents I don't have concerns with heat. I removed the side panel and the gas tank actually felt cool in proximity to the header. I did wrap the complete front of the gas tank with heat tape. I did notice that my stock heat shield is all cracked at the mounts. I highly recommend the mo flo vents.

20211228_162108 (1).jpg

I'm up North for the week on the high speed trails and seen this post and was concerned about heat with my header. Well after running 100 miles at good speeds I can say that with the added vents I don't have concerns with heat. I removed the side panel and the gas tank actually felt cool in proximity to the header. I did wrap the complete front of the gas tank with heat tape. I did notice that my stock heat shield is all cracked at the mounts. I highly recommend the mo flo vents.

View attachment 166646

I have the knee pads where your vents are.
I replaced my upper heat shield this year. Same thing, it cracked around the mounting holes.
Picked up one of the left over kits from when they had the updated shields for the 17 models.

View attachment 166646

Part number for upper heated shield kit.
68941.jpeg

View attachment 166646
I have the exact same vent kit both front and back.

This is the best picture I have of the venting.

bAcw8b1.jpg

I rode with someone who had a header and a wrap last year!
That MS16 Header tune rocked for sure, but it smelled more then a 2 smoke for the whole season. Bad enough, that when he was leading, I purposely stayed further behind because of stinging eyes. Man that titanium wrap stunk, and when the header cracked and turned the wrap into underhood debris, it really really stunk and made a mess to boot!

Either way, that header, stock or aftermarket, is scary close to the plastic gas tank, so you better stay on top of those, (Or Else)!

Dam incredible just how hot the entire entire exhaust system gets, even on a bone stock Winder when cruising at 80 and up for long distances!

the wrap does not work on the stainless headers, every one ive seen wrap has cracked due to holding to much heat in. just the good venting and stock shield work best. i also put the stingray clutch shield behind sec to stop the heat from header making sec hot. just put the extra heat wrap on gas tank , hose to exchanger and inner right side panel and your good. i have tomcats turbo blanket on under stoch turbo shield aswell

Reactions: AAD
The plastic area between the factory frog skin vents i opened up and installed frog skin material to allow more air flow thru the secondary intercooler. Brings in huge amounts of cooler air under the hood.
I didnt take a picture with the screen installed.

View attachment 166644View attachment 166645
Would you by any chance have the part # for the frog skin you used to cover up the holes?

Would you by any chance have the part # for the frog skin you used to cover up the holes?

I bought a bulk screen made by slp and bought some lexan and made my own screen.
Slp powder filter 13 3/8 × 7 1/4". Part number is 14-160 also has a WPS part number 59-7267.
First time using this brand.

the wrap does not work on the stainless headers, every one ive seen wrap has cracked due to holding to much heat in. just the good venting and stock shield work best. i also put the stingray clutch shield behind sec to stop the heat from header making sec hot. just put the extra heat wrap on gas tank , hose to exchanger and inner right side panel and your good. i have tomcats turbo blanket on under stoch turbo shield aswell
Be careful with that Stingray heat shield it’s restricts air flow to the header tank area. Not good

Back