• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donut Replacement Procedure

I started the process of replacing mine last night. Thanks to grizztracks and other information posted here, things are progressing as well as I can hope for.

Here's what I've found and learned so far:

* My former dealer replaced the donuts 1X before this. They rounded out two of the exhaust clamp bolts, and one of the two allen head bolts.
#$%&* :o| Thank you very much..NOT!!!

What worked best for me on the exhaust clamp bolts was an angle grinder and a small diameter cutoff wheel. Pretty much came right off. Yes you have to be careful, but there's enough room in there when the clamps will turn on the exhaust joints like mine did. Once I modify the clamps, I might not be able to do this if I have to. I'm going to use hex head cap screws (HHCS) when I put it back together and put some copper anti-seeze on the screws.

I had to drill out one of the allen head screws on the exhaust hanger. I used a SHARP drill bit that was the same diameter as the head of the bolt. Once I got down close to the threaded portion, I stopped and used a small chisel on what was remaining of the head and tapped it CCW and it came right out. I will also use HHCS's with copper anti seeze on them.

The dealer obviously replaced the donuts using grizztracks' method. They also didn't put a flat washer back underneath one of the bolts. :o|

The dealer did use regular anti-seeze on the donuts and on the exhaust joints. The donuts that came out weren't as bad as I thought they'd be, but the center one was definitely the cause of the leaking.

I'll be using copper anti-seeze when I go to put it back together again.

Oh yea...I almost forgot. The top two bolts on my handlebar clamps were loose. Thanks again to my former dealer! #$%&* :o|

Personally I encourage anybody with any tips on doing this job to post them here! But again, a million kudo's to grizz and snoway for posting very valuable, and money saving info! ;)!

So everything was easy till I got to the hanger bolts. Can't get them out and now they are striped and I'm stuck..

BlkNytro said:
So everything was easy till I got to the hanger bolts. Can't get them out and now they are striped and I'm stuck..

Did you read how I did it? Maybe I didn't explain it clear enough? An easy out would be another way to get it out.

Groomerdriver said:
BlkNytro said:

Did you read how I did it? Maybe I didn't explain it clear enough? An easy out would be another way to get it out.

Yea I read it. I'm gonna use an easy out tonight. Do you know what size bolt I would need to replace it with? I rather use a hex bolt.

BlkNytro said:
Groomerdriver said:
BlkNytro said:

Yea I read it. I'm gonna use an easy out tonight. Do you know what size bolt I would need to replace it with? I rather use a hex bolt.

It's a fine thread metric. It's about .308" dia...M8 maybe? I'm heading to the hardware store in the AM to pick up hex heads for the 3 clamps and the 2 hangars.

Groomerdriver said:
BlkNytro said:
Groomerdriver said:
BlkNytro said:

It's a fine thread metric. It's about .308" dia...M8 maybe? I'm heading to the hardware store in the AM to pick up hex heads for the 3 clamps and the 2 hangars.

Yea I got new bolts for the clamps and I was only able to snap the heads off the 2 hanger bolts. I'm gonna drill them out tomorrow morning, re thread it possibly if I can't use an easy out and buy 2 more hanger bolts...I wish Yamaha made this easier lol

Btw what kind of drill bits should I be using? I've been using ones for metal but they don't work well at all. I guess the bolts are hardened?

Typically bolts are case hardened...that means only the outer shell is hard...kinda like an eggshell.

Carbide bits work the best, but I hand sharpened my regular bits 3-4x to get far enough into the head so I could tap it out.

Clamps bolts are:

M6 x 25 1.25 pitch (fine thread)
I'm using the "25" long screws as I modified my clamps. If you don't modify your clamps, either the 25mm or 30mm long screws will work. Stock screws are 30mm long

Hangar bolts are: M8 x 25 1.25 pitch (fine thread)

I will be using copper anti-seeze on all bolts and donut joints. I found a tube of Permatex copper anti seeze at NAPA.

kind of has me thinking that a person might want to remove the seat and replace those 2 hanger bolts when they take delivery of there new sled with SS bolts or at least coat them with anti sieze or the like

BTW.....drilling out the 8 hanger bracket rivets is much faster than messing with the rust welded allen head bolts IMO.......and the channel locks won't be needed .
good luck!

snoway said:
kind of has me thinking that a person might want to remove the seat and replace those 2 hanger bolts when they take delivery of there new sled with SS bolts or at least coat them with anti sieze or the like

BTW.....drilling out the 8 hanger bracket rivets is much faster than messing with the rust welded allen head bolts IMO.......and the channel locks won't be needed .
good luck!

If I have to do this again I'll drill out the rivets and try it that way. The hangar bolt method works but holding the exhaust bellows (??) open with a c-lock pliers is a bit tricky, especially when the only helper available isn't very mechanically inclined. It's much too easy to ding up the new donuts and the hangar bolt method leaves you barely enough clearance to slide them on.

If you have a picture of the rivets that need to be removed I'll add it to the procedure as an alternative method. I have a cam chain tensioner job that should be here in the next few weeks so I can also get hanger pictures then.

I just replaced some donuts on an rx-1 this week. The hanger bolt allen heads stripped on me so I came up with an alternate method.

I removed the long back motor mount bolt. This allowed me to pivot the motor up to gain clearance to install the new donuts. Doing it this way eliminates the need to mess with the rusty seized exhaust bolts.

Irv said:
grizztracks said:
I've done a few of these on both Vectors and Nytros and this procedure has works for me.

I noticed in your first post the year of your sled, would this procedure/job be the same or very very close to an 08 and a Delta-2 chasis?
use the same instructions on the delta box chassis no probs

Back