• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donut Replacement Procedure

I read this post, then checked the donuts on my '08 Vector (as per Grizzttack's instructions). The mag and pto donuts are shot. The center cylinder donut was not even there. Header and flex pipe flanges are ok.

I was surprised at how much soybean stubble and weed trash was inside that area. I'm lucky nothing ever caught fire.

I sprayed penetrating on all the bolt threads and let it sit over night. Everything came loose without stripping.

Good post Grizz. Thanks for the pics and the "Heads up! "

20130903_062658.jpg
20130903_062633.jpg
20130903_061305.jpg

Last edited:

Can anybody find the correct Yamaha p/n for the 8 rivets that you drill out? Or what size SS rivets one should look for at a local hardware store?

4strokeluvr111 said:
Can anybody find the correct Yamaha p/n for the 8 rivets that you drill out? Or what size SS rivets one should look for at a local hardware store?

They're 3/16" diameter. Don't use too long of a rivet over the PTO pipe or it will rub. I used SS rivets, but Yamaha rivets are tried and true.

Look at the frame section in Yamaha's online parts catalog for the correct part # if you choose that route.

Crewchief47 said:
Sledtoyz has Multi-grip rivets for you Canadians out there as well.

Just ordered donuts from you! Dang! Would have ordered some rivets had I known!

4strokeluvr111 said:
Crewchief47 said:
Sledtoyz has Multi-grip rivets for you Canadians out there as well.

Just ordered donuts from you! Dang! Would have ordered some rivets had I known!

The rivets can get heavy quick and sometimes will mess with the shipping rates to the US (ie. get high quick), it may be better you didn't know...... ;)!

Donut Replacement 2005 Rage

Just finished replacing donuts on my 2005 Rage (5,000 miles) when I got to the point of trying to remove the two allen head bolts that hold the exhaust up I couldn't get them out. Broke one allen bit on my 3/8 drive ratchet and decided to drill out the rivets. Man that was easy and once they were out you could move the exhaust pipe back more than enough to get the donuts in without compressing the flex pipe. I've got another 2005 Rage (2,500 miles) and when it is time to replace the donuts I will try the allen head bolts once but won't waste much time. Drilling the rivets out (3/16 inch bit) was easy and riveting the bracket back in was also easy (rivets used were Yamaha part #90267-47195-00). On my next one I may just replace the rivets with stainless steal bolts with nylock nuts. They would be easy to get to by dropping the suspension from the back (4 bolts) so I don't have to keep replacing rivets, while the suspension is down you can easily check wheels and bushing.

Can somebody post a picture that points to the 8 rivets that need to be drilled out?

exhaust donut replacement rivet location

The 8 rivets are easy to locate at least on my Rage. When you pull the rubber plugs out to access the two bolts to lower the exhaust (the bolts that don't come out easy) the 8 rivets are in line with the plugs they run left and right of the plugs. There is a row of 4 that are just above the plugs and another row of 4 that are just below the plugs. 4 of them are on the same elevation as the plugs and 4 of them are lower as the tunnel transitions down the side

On the RX-1 there are ten rivets but same general area.

Attachments

• Drill-rivets2.JPG
    Drill-rivets2.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 580
In dealing with those allen head freeze ups I took a combo map/ox torch from HomeDepot and heated the heads up good and they came off. I replaced them with deep head hex grade 8 ones from any good hardware store. Even Tractor Supply has them.
The deep head and grade 8 will aid to get them off next time.

I changed my donuts without removing the bolts or rivets. I just took a clamp and compressed the flex pipe, unbolted the pipe from the engine slid on new donuts and bolted it back in then removed the clamp.

RSVLTXGT said:
I changed my donuts without removing the bolts or rivets. I just took a clamp and compressed the flex pipe, unbolted the pipe from the engine slid on new donuts and bolted it back in then removed the clamp.

These flex pipes are known to break at the point of the flex design. Mine did as well. Compressing them might aggravate them breaking sooner or just breaking. I wouldn't recommend it.

I'll keep an eye on them. This was just my variation of the channel locks since I was doing it by myself. I let it sit one night before I put the clamps back on and the flex pipes expanded back to there original form. I then clamped them down and started the sled to check for leaks.

Back