• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donuts

I just had mine replaced under warranty and when they were removed tey looked mint @ 4200mi. I had the copper ones installed.

Who makes the copper gaskets that everyone is talking about?

In 2009 my dealer installed four p/n 8FA-14623-00-00 gaskets and in 2011 he installed four p/n 99999-03989-00

What did I get the second time around?

cat hunter said:
7,200 miles on the first set .Ground lots off the clamps and after another 5,000 rechecked them and there still like new!!! :-o
I like this.. I got 4000 miles, checked/inspected them last year and they were mint.

Blue Dave said:

In 2009 my dealer installed four p/n 8FA-14623-00-00 gaskets and in 2011 he installed four p/n 99999-03989-00

Sledtoyz
Thistle Maybe OFT

You can find them on this site.

Your dealer probably installed the new Yamaha donuts - supposed to be improved. Those are the ones I got when I ordered from the parts fiche.

I tore into mine. I need both y pipes.
Gaskets were not even there except for a few pieces.
Flanges are fine but clamps wore into the pipes.
Of course the 2, 5 mm hex bolts that hold the y pipes up rounded out on me.
Took the muffler off and dropped the rear of track.
Silly me instead of drilling those two 5mm bolts out I drilled out the rivets holding the bracket.
Now I can't get it(bracket) below the the rails (stud protectors).
Sawzall tomorrow..lol.
BTW..the rivets that hold the bracket on were loose also..holes are oblong.
I searched the net some and I have found y pipes for 153 a piece..not sure if they are S.S. though.

Bolt the bracket back in place and drill at least one out. Your gonna re-bolt or re-attach that bracket later anyway. If you can get one pipe off it will save you from needing to get a bracket too. There are pipes on eBay.

actionjack said:
Bolt the bracket back in place and drill at least one out. Your gonna re-bolt or re-attach that bracket later anyway. If you can get one pipe off it will save you from needing to get a bracket too. There are pipes on eBay.
10-4..sounds like a plan..and I'll check out e-bay..thanks!

Blue Dave said:

same OEM donut, but it now comes with a new bolt!!

polcat said:
Thanks Rockmeister, I have 4,000 miles on my Apex. My pipes don't rattle or seem loose not sure how to tell if the dounuts are gone.
I would just replace them now before you have other issues. Donuts are cheap compared to Y-Pipes. Not a matter of if they will fail, just when………

Yamaha owners spend a lot of time and money putting better options on their sleds. Yamaha engineers should take note. I thought about it.

99669apex said:
I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade here, but why do we buy Yamaha snowmobiles? Engine life, quality engineering and all around durability to name a few. I’ve read all the postings about copper exhaust donuts like the rest of us, and I was ready to pull the trigger on a set for my Apex, then reality hit me. Yamaha engineers do not cut corners! They also don’t follow trends.

If Yamaha engineers believed that copper exhaust donuts were a better option, they would have come stock on our sleds. Think about it.

I disagree with your statement, if the Yamaha engineers did the job "RIGHT" in the first place we wouldn't have to replace exhaust system parts every 4000 miles!

I'm going to try copper next time around, but I am concerned that it might wear the pipes instead of the gasket.

I've got 6,550 miles and just replaced my original donuts with copper. The originals were beat, but not as bad as I'd expected them to be after seeing so many posts on this topic. I could tell the exhaust started leaking a little and noticed some rattling during the last few rides last season. Clamps could spin a bit around but not easily. Fortunately pipes and headers were all fine. I could live with replacing the OEM donuts every 6,500 miles but I like trying new things, so decided to see how the copper will perform. It's not my favorite maintenance job, so longer life in this department is better in my book. Now if we just get some snow....

Back