• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Expert X big hit shocks

Here is the response from my email:

vince:

here's the deal: if someone buys an expert-x, more than likely it's for
performance and durability, not weight. that being said, lighter is usually
desireable. we have tried numerous valve configurations with the floats to
work
in an expert-x. to date none have worked as well as the stock kayabas.
we're close and getting closer, but the fox float, while being
exceptionally light, does have some drawbacks. the main one being the air
spring rate of progression. to eliminate bottoming, the float air spring
ramps
up extremely fast. this situation leaves you with 2 options: 1) lower air
pressure for a good ride but a low ride height or, 2) higher air pressure
for a very stiff ride but acceptable ride height. we are in the process of
increasing the size of the air chamber via reservoirs, combined with new
valve configurations, to hopefully get closer. should know more by the end
of the month. also, the float we use is a bit longer than the stocker. the
only
modification that needs to be done is the shock eye bored out to accept the
stock expert-x bushings. hope this helps.

jeff scott, owner
scott-bilt r&d

Hopefully they can get this idea to work?????

-1CS

A set of Floats was dropped off at the machine shop a couple days ago... should have some pics of the required mods this week. The shock eyes are being bored out, then thin hardened steel sleeves pressed in. The sleeve will allow the stock X bushings to live a happy life w/o destroying the aluminum shock eyes.

bjowett said:
A set of Floats was dropped off at the machine shop a couple days ago... should have some pics of the required mods this week. The shock eyes are being bored out, then thin hardened steel sleeves pressed in. The sleeve will allow the stock X bushings to live a happy life w/o destroying the aluminum shock eyes.

Please keep up the good work on keeping us posted. I am very interested in the outcome of this.

-1CS

External mods are all done... The eye is thin, but it is said to hold up fine. The only strength issue may be during top out.

campfox_009_0.jpg

campfox_010_0.jpg

I would, but instead of the end of January average 3 - 4' of snow, we have 4". :o| Yet another storm will miss us Friday.... it's depressing! The lakes are solid, but there are no bumps, or much else there.

I'll send them, now that their mounted to sled I'll be traveling up there with it. :-o

BTW, these are the longer Yamaha units.
campfox_017_0.jpg

Bumps anyone? Height adjust is cranked all the way up...
campfox_018_0.jpg

Thanks for the concern, LB. I have no intensions of running it that way.... IMO it just looks neat at that height.... That's how it came out of the garage after install. 75lbs in the floats and the height adjust on the X at maximum height.

WOW. I thought my RTX sat high on max with the stocker shocks. Geeees. Looks kool though. Hopefully you get some snow soon so we can get the report from you.

-1CS

What exhaust is that? Can I see a better pic of that. I'm curious what you did there.

.... Got out on the lake today, fortunately about 6 inches of snow fell up there and had blown all around and made a few 1 - 2' bumps here and there.

Initial reports are correct to some degree, though IMO ride height is not an issue. To put it bluntly, the air spring ramps too damn fast. Set the pressure low to get a good initial ride and you'll be running through the available travel rather quickly as the shock has sagged in quite a bit. Pump things up and the ramp up becomes worse and the travel can't be used.

Reservoirs. They might be the key... though I'm not really sure I want to invest more in this project at this time.... Hmmmmm.

bjowett said:
.... Got out on the lake today, fortunately about 6 inches of snow fell up there and had blown all around and made a few 1 - 2' bumps here and there.

Initial reports are correct to some degree, though IMO ride height is not an issue. To put it bluntly, the air spring ramps too damn fast. Set the pressure low to get a good initial ride and you'll be running through the available travel rather quickly as the shock has sagged in quite a bit. Pump things up and the ramp up becomes worse and the travel can't be used.

Reservoirs. They might be the key... though I'm not really sure I want to invest more in this project at this time.... Hmmmmm.

That was what my email had said. They were supose to be working with someone to add res. to the shocks for more air without the highth. I should email thise guys again and see what they came up with.

-1CS

Back