• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Expert X big hit shocks

Screw it... I'm trying them. It's time to get serious, I'm going to trade one of my Argon/CO2 bottles for a tank of nitrogen and calling Carver for some rebuild tools.

bjowett said:
Screw it... I'm trying them. It's time to get serious, I'm going to trade one of my Argon/CO2 bottles for a tank of nitrogen and calling Carver for some rebuild tools.

NOW YOUR TALKING.......Get it done and as before, keep us posted on this MOD. :Rockon:

-1CS

I got these installed today, a bit expensive for what is pretty much two remote oil reservoirs... but at least the cash gets one a very nice high quality product with great fit and finish.

Simply pulling down on the rear of sled shows much greater available travel w/o the severe ramp up. Not really much of a test, I'll give you that... fortunately we're about to schnockered with a good ole New England snow storm.... riding and tuning time should be excellent over the next couple of weeks.

Sorry for the confusion... I have added the "Air control system for Fox Floats". They are not much more than a "ReZ-E". They are a simple adjustable oil reservoir converted to an air chamber.

Well, our dry season has ended, mother nature was nice enough to dump 2'+ of snow on us yesterday. I ran about 50 miles today. I started off with the Float's pressure at 70lbs and it was much too soft, pumped it up to 100psi and things started to work quite well... these air rezis made a drastic improvement and have eliminated the severe ramp up.

This weekend will see the trails get sh*t ridden out of em'... the big bumps will form, and I hope those will help me get a better idea on what to do with the valving. It felt decent in the smaller stuff today, but I have a feeling both rebound and compression will need to move to the stiffer area of things.

They have an adjustable trasfer flow regulator. Volume could be reduced by inserting some sort of small spacer in the rezi. That would be custom though, Hygear supplies no such tuning aid. FYI Regular Fox Floats can have the volume reduced by simply adding more float oil to the air chamber. There are some very neat ways to tunes air springs. Bewteen this and the Fox Evol, things might get pretty fun.

$400 for the Floats, $20 for the shock eye bore and sleeve, and $399 for the Rezis. A bit on the expensive side, but what isn't when you enter this kind of territory? The air rezis could be duplicated for less money.

I managed to get some good miles on during the past days. The dampers need much stiffer valving all around. It runs through the travek a bit too quickly, and can give kick when coming back. The current motion through the travel is extremely smooth though, and works well.... I can't wait to get the valving upped.

A weakness has been found, and I should have seen it coming, but missed it. The height adjustment mechanism can not support the full stress of big hits. The tab that is welded to the crossbar (it holds the nut portion of the mech.) tore away from the bar. I always wondered how that tab with a single weld could hold up... it dosn't need to because the torsion springs take the force of the large hits and spread it elsewhere. I pulled these as the Floats do not need them.

Other than some minor cosmetic damage to the shock body caps they are fine. Everything else should be easy to beef up in this area. I'll pull it out tomorrow, weld/fab a stronger mechanism, and snap some pictures.

As mentioned above, this piece should not be seeing full hits. Despite that, the weld was junk, it had very poor penetration and with the increased load it easily tore away. A good weld here and it may have held up fine.

experttear_0.JPG

Back