• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Expert X big hit shocks

You mentioned that the compressed length of the floats is 10.25". What is the compressed length of the stock shocks? If the stock shocks are any shorter, is it possible that you might be bottoming the floats before the skid bottoms? With the add-on air cans, the floats will be more prone to bottoming. Anyways, weld the crap out of it and keep riding.

Not to undermine anyone's determination to pursue this modification, but if you are running a box-stock Expert-X, and find the $500+ hard to swallow, you should most definately consider talking to Aaron @ Excell Motorsports. He is very knowledgable about this suspension and its weaknesness.

No doubt harsh bottoming takes its toll on these skids, but with the right shock valving it is drastically reduced. The $189.00 I spent, which included a third cross-shaft (non DTR) was well worth it.

Any more luck running the Floats? I just bought Jeffs old 144 Expert-X and he said they finally got the valving close enough to be good.

I had an Expert-X a few years ago in a mountain cat and can't wait to try install this one.

Attachments

• t_t_jsw_expert_x_top_481_166.jpg
    t_t_jsw_expert_x_top_481_166.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 70
I found to get the maximum travel and performance out of the Floats in the X they need an external air chamber and internal rubber bumpstop. The valving was close, but one of the shafts received a nice chip from something... that began to take out the air seal, so on the shelf they sit. I've moved on to developing some bypass shocks for mine.... LMK if you have any more questions... I can attempt to help ya.

Back