• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Facebook Bans me, WTF!!!

After getting my dad out of this vicious cycle one time, I setup two factor authentication on all my families accounts. This has stopped the attempts to hack accounts.

I'm not saying FB is not the devil. I'm just being devils advocate here. Keep in mind the amount of old idiots out there that are getting hacked every day and the amount of contested accounts they have to deal with daily. Sooner or later they have to put their foot down and say, "sorry, you lost the photos you should have backed up of your kids, move on and make another account"

That may sound harsh, but it's not FB, it's the scammy overseas hackers that ruined it. This can all be avoided by setting up proper two factor authentication. It sounds hindsight in your case, but for anyone else that still uses any online account (anything) setup proper security to avoid this issue. As it will happen exactly the same way with any other account you have online besides the local bank you can walk into the office and flop your id down on the counter.

Reality sucks in today's world
I had that but easy to get around. All you have to do is say you never received it and then it gets emailed. I was notified VIA text on my phone and they went around it.

I will be saving photos and not posting much on FB anymore.

Thanks for the heads up and sorry you lost all those memories bud.
Thank you. Just wanted to warn others that even having all those security factors in place FB will NOT help you.

Last edited:
After getting my dad out of this vicious cycle one time, I setup two factor authentication on all my families accounts. This has stopped the attempts to hack accounts.

I'm not saying FB is not the devil. I'm just being devils advocate here. Keep in mind the amount of old idiots out there that are getting hacked every day and the amount of contested accounts they have to deal with daily. Sooner or later they have to put their foot down and say, "sorry, you lost the photos you should have backed up of your kids, move on and make another account"

That may sound harsh, but it's not FB, it's the scammy overseas hackers that ruined it. This can all be avoided by setting up proper two factor authentication. It sounds hindsight in your case, but for anyone else that still uses any online account (anything) setup proper security to avoid this issue. As it will happen exactly the same way with any other account you have online besides the local bank you can walk into the office and flop your id down on the counter.

Reality sucks in today's world

2FA just moves the point of subversion further out onto the network to the users terminal where most of the problems happen. The reason that most commercial companies use 2FA is not to protect the user, it is to protect the company first and the user a distant second. When your father or anyone else is the victim of malicious software installed through click-less browsing or through responding to a phishing scam (social engineering), 2FA can be completely bypassed as the hackers then engage in social manipulation 'mam, this is Facebook calling, I noticed a charge on your account lets fix that for you'. 2FA or even MFA mean nothing once you compromise the end user which is where most of the volume in attacks take place. The volume of most high value hacks these days are social hacks.

Then you have all of the side vectors, not amount of user authentication will protect you from 'the other site' that didn't manage your password properly. So many people use the same simplistic passwords across multiple sites and often the compromise comes not from social engineering or anything 2FA would protect against, but from another site that just did not manage your passwords properly.

I don't know what my passwords are. They are stored encrypted in a password locker. I didn't make them up, they are self generated by the password locker. This is (IMO) the most secure way to secure those you care about. Its hard to subvert a secret when nobody knows what it is.

Nothing is 100%, but 2FA with the 2nd factor being say text messages or an authenticator app goes a very long way trimming somebody from anywhere in the world hacking your account, it's worth the effort of setting up. Sure, if they can get you on the phone to get that 2nd challenge your toast but that's really going down the Darwin awards road

2FA just moves the point of subversion further out onto the network to the users terminal where most of the problems happen. The reason that most commercial companies use 2FA is not to protect the user, it is to protect the company first and the user a distant second. When your father or anyone else is the victim of malicious software installed through click-less browsing or through responding to a phishing scam (social engineering), 2FA can be completely bypassed as the hackers then engage in social manipulation 'mam, this is Facebook calling, I noticed a charge on your account lets fix that for you'. 2FA or even MFA mean nothing once you compromise the end user which is where most of the volume in attacks take place. The volume of most high value hacks these days are social hacks.

Then you have all of the side vectors, not amount of user authentication will protect you from 'the other site' that didn't manage your password properly. So many people use the same simplistic passwords across multiple sites and often the compromise comes not from social engineering or anything 2FA would protect against, but from another site that just did not manage your passwords properly.

I don't know what my passwords are. They are stored encrypted in a password locker. I didn't make them up, they are self generated by the password locker. This is (IMO) the most secure way to secure those you care about. Its hard to subvert a secret when nobody knows what it is.
Where can I get more info on this password locker? Sounds amazing if I don't have to remember passwords!

Where can I get more info on this password locker? Sounds amazing if I don't have to remember passwords!

LastPass
bitwarden
1Password

I use lastpass but a bunch of ex-coworkers work there so I haven't checked out the others.

LastPass
bitwarden
1Password

I use lastpass but a bunch of ex-coworkers work there so I haven't checked out the others.
I like NordVPN it has a Password locker. I admit at being suckered in by the Buttbook. It is just so easy to share things. A person needs to expect a total loss of all Social media and really everything online. It will happen. Surprised it didnt happen when China Virus put so many out of work and Confined. Sucks big time.

But how will I see all the cool old sleds and trucks for sale if I don't keep FB?? That's the real dilemma. I never use FB for friends and family.

Back