• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FAQ: How To - DriveShaft/JackShaft bearing"REGREASE" Step by step

I took my 32mm short socket and cut rachet end off and welded a 2" piece of steel in it to make deep enough, not pretty but works for long and short application s

I took my 32mm short socket and cut rachet end off and welded a 2" piece of steel in it to make deep enough, not pretty but works for long and short application s

Thanks for the tip. I'm measuring 37 mm with a mic on it. Your idea is really good, I just need to find a socket that big. Auto store wasn't much help

Thanks for the tip. I'm measuring 37 mm with a mic on it. Your idea is really good, I just need to find a socket that big. Auto store wasn't much help
Ya cheap on eBay, just use a chunk of scrap 2" square tube? or round. Like $5. on eBay.

Ya cheap on eBay, just use a chunk of scrap 2" square tube? or round. Like $5. on eBay.
Just checked and the 5 buck model is in Hong Kong. estimated delivery November 27. Tried autozone, sears, tractor supply. No luck.

Good news is the bearing is out. Without this site I would never of known to even check it.

I believe I should be a poster child for ignoring the sled. The picture says it all. Bearing.JPG

I regrease the jack shaft bearing every year. Just did it. It looks super clean. My sled has 20,107 miles on it and still the same bearing. I change the speedo bearing every other year, around 7 to 10k miles for me. But it also gets cleaned and regreased yearly.

Fantastic thread... I know the prior owner replaced several bearings last year, I will start greasing these at the same time I do the oil and all the zerks in the spring to push out any water as noted earlier and then I am that much further ahead come fall. This needle zerk seems like a key part of making this easy along with the WD40 and air, the heat and the freezer tricks... fantastic information, thanks to all.

Grease Injector Needle.jpg

Never heard of pulling the pressed in seal out of a sealed bearing and re-installing it and expecting it to work the same....

I've been doing this on all my snowmobiles, every spring, for over 30 years. It's saved me thousands in new bearings.

Roger - great news, they can be a pain to get out.
The tool was made by a good friend of mine who is an auto mechanic and also drives heavy road construction machines for a living. The tool was welded onto the tip of a slide hammer. Heating does the trick :)

Jan-O
rxrider

Roger, i've edited my post and added a few more hints :)
[/QUOTE
Rxrider and Roger I’m a newbie to this site. I saw both of your posts and it sounds like you both made a tool to remove the collar and Jackshaft bearing which allowed you to get the jackshaft bearing out with out removing the chain case. Do either of you have more info on the tool you made? Thank you

Thanks rxrider.

Got that bearing out this morning, without removing any part of the chaincase. I made a tool similar to yours. I tried to remove the bearing without heating up the bearing housing, no go. I heated up the housing for 5 minutes with a heat gun, like you said, and it popped right out.

Thanks again.
What does the tool you made to pop the bearing out look like. How did you tap the collar off the jackshaft? Thanks

Back