• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fastener ideas please?

jeffT

Pro
Those cheap plastic push fasteners are really quite brittle. Anyone trying anything new or tricked out to replace these with? Photos and places to get them would be fantastic.
I was just doing some pre summer maintenance and broke a couple (not to mention they are a pain in the a$$ to remove). Id like to see something in a stainless or chrome bolt/ screw of some kind. IDEAS GUYS!! :4STroke: :Rules:

I haven't tried them yet, but you can find packages of 10 or 12 panel fasteners for about $5 at auto parts stores. I did see some that looked like they would work.

Take a sample of the stock fastener and run out and get some, then report back to let the rest of us know if it's worth our time too.

Do it for the Team, man.

Check out the rivet nuts too while you're in the business.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=122kz1

jeffT said:
Those cheap plastic push fasteners are really quite brittle. Anyone trying anything new or tricked out to replace these with? Photos and places to get them would be fantastic.
I was just doing some pre summer maintenance and broke a couple (not to mention they are a pain in the a$$ to remove). Id like to see something in a stainless or chrome bolt/ screw of some kind. IDEAS GUYS!! :4STroke: :Rules:

How are you removing them? If you take a small flathead screwdriver and pop up the center they come out very easy.

There have been a few posts about these fasteners and I don't know why. I have had these plastic fasteners off many times and they are very easy to use. I haven't had any break and they work pretty well. I'm thinking those who are having problems must be trying to remove them wrong.

Hey, jeffT

What I've found with theses panel fasteners is that in colder weather they become brittle and brake easily. Theses things have been used for years and the older they get the more brittle they become. They make a tool to remove them or you can use a couple of small screwdrivers to pry up on each side (don't apply to much pressure from one side). they sometimes can be difficult to remove with any tool when they're installed in confined spaces.

This is an option that I've used on my Grizzly. Most hardware and auto parts stores have them. I keep an assorted supply of them in my tool box so come time to remove them I just cut the heads and replace with new.

X-Mas Tree Style Dart Fasteners
xmasdyed.gif

gotta pry lightly from both sides of the flat spot on the clip. if you try to pry and muscle it from one side, they will break and fail.

the yamaha part number is 90269-08006 buy a bag of ten the next time you are at the dealer, and you will have them IF you break them.

i have had some of mine out 10-20 times with no problems. i also tend to blame operator error on some of these failures. ski

The fasteners that are easy to get to, are also quite easy to remove. I'm thinking of going with some huck blind nuts w/bolts (all stainless of course to stop corrosion).
Huck nuts are used mostly in peterbuilt truck applications altho if they require a special tool to install, I wont be going this route. I'll keep digging and searching the net for a solution.

I've been a diesel mechanic for over twenty year so I'm familiar with Huck fasteners. They require a special gun to install (ours is pneumatic) and need to be cut or drilled to remove.

with aircraft you can get rivnuts, and they can be purchased in canada wtih the tool from princess auto or napa. you can get a varity of sizes, they are pretty cheep aswell. come in stainless, aluminum, and steel. also come in a varity of sizes. the big thing is not to break the hand squeeze tool when you install the fastener.

another dealer that sells this stuff is Lawson products. they make some pretty wild stuff when it comes to special hard to come by fasteners. and found its decent quality.

I havent broke any of these plastic fasteners on the sleds yet, but im sure after a few years of removing these things they will get britle. maybe then I will install rivnuts.

Also just as added info, Lawson Products makes these washers that are interelocking. so if you have bolts that loosen off and locktite or star style lock washers are not working, these interelocking washers work wonders. Atleast it was the only thing I found that kept the Carburators on the old Pratt and Whitney radial engines from falling off in flight in the crop dusters. I have used these washers in rear suspension parts on my sleds.

thanks

DeanO

arteeex said:
I haven't tried them yet, but you can find packages of 10 or 12 panel fasteners for about $5 at auto parts stores. I did see some that looked like they would work.

Take a sample of the stock fastener and run out and get some, then report back to let the rest of us know if it's worth our time too.

Do it for the Team, man.

Check out the rivet nuts too while you're in the business.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=122kz1

Yes I bought mine from yamaha and it cost me $1.15 each

Can you post a pic of the Honda pushpins your speaking of? Thanks...8

Back