• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Finally - My Warrior Hit The Trail

Ski-Dog

Expert
Left New Years day for snow after working all night. Managed to ride 350 miles over mostly groomed trail over a few days.

The Good stuff

The rear skid was a surprise. After listening to much bashing I found the ride to be very acceptable. It certainly rides better than my 2000 Summit 136" did. Quite franklt very pleased. Rode some ungroomed trail averaging 50 MPH and it was effortless. I certainly don't understand why someone would spend $1500 to upgrade the rear skid. I will make a few tweaks for perfection but it almost there right from the dealer.

The gas mileage is awesome. On an unbroken in engine I was averaging 20 - 21 MPG (Canadian gallons). I ride with a friend who is obsessed with fuel mileage. This year he bought a used 2002 Viper (because of great fuel mileage). At fuel stop he is always checking everyones usage and it is his topic of discussion for the evening. Fist fill up after 70 miles I used one gallon less. Kinda quieted him down. The second fill up around the same mileage I used 1.5 gallons less. Not a word did he say and no more fuel mileage discussions for the rest of the trip. My other friend on a XC 800 pooper used twice the fuel I did. What a saving not including the injector oil they guzzled.

The engine is quiet and the smoothest running sled I have ever ridden. The hand and thumb warmers work great and are a vast improvement over my Ski-Doo. They couldn't keep you warm on a cold day.

The ripsaw hooks up great. I am not studded and I think I will stay that way. The sled worked well in deep powder as well. I broke trail in 2.5 feet of powder and it worked great. The other guys I was with would not even attempt it.

Not so great stuff

Overall great handling but it is no REV. In tight twisty junk trail you will have to work your #*$&@ overtime to keep up with one of them. On the big long winding trails of northern Ontario the REV wouldn't have that much of an advantage though. It all depends where you ride.

Ski lift - Everyone talks about but coming from a ZX chassis Ski-Doo it is slightly less than one of those. Depends what you rode previously. I put it as a negative because it would be better without it but as I said it is slightly better than my previous sled.

Top end - Only wound it out a few times but could not get the speedo over 102 MPH. After all I have read on this site I expected much better. Given that the speedo is usually off on these I am disappointed. For the moment I'll chalk it up to Yamaha so so clutching.

At idle clutch rattles like a bag of marbles. I gave it the once over (without dismantling) and all seems well. Yamaha is new to me and perhaps this is normal but I hope not. It's going to the dealer to be checked out and I am hoping there is a problem that needs addressing perhaps the reason for the dismal top speed.

Lack of storage - This really ticks me off being a long distance trail rider. There is virtually no storage. I did buy the windshield pouch which really doesn't offer much space. I also bought the semi-rigid saddle bags. They look good and worked great thus far. Bottom line is that I need more storage. I will look into either the tank bag or trunk bag. Anyone with a tank bag - have you found that they scratch the paint? Other sleds are usually not painted in this area so I am curious how they work.

Warm engine starting is not perfect. Requires fiddling with throttle before it sputters to life. From reading previous posts and talking to others I understand this is a trait with these sleds.

That's all I can think of for now. Overall it's great and I really enjoy the 4 stroke - no smoke. I do have to admit still being somewhat drawn to the REV Renegade though (my other option when buying) but I think the Warrior should work out better in the long run.

Ski Dog, I think you've nailed it with your assesment.
I also think that a rear suspension swap would be a total waste of $.
One thing I have noticed is that ski lift can reduced alot by doing two things (it doesn't bother me, but it appears that some people on the forum are fixated on this). (1) get your butt foreward onto the rear of the gas tank. (2) work the throttle smoothly... this sled has so much engine braking that backing off the gas too far puts the front end into compression like using the brakes on a 2 stroke.

Just a quick thought , after installing the heel clickers in my sled ,
the engine braking was much more controllable , and the machine is much faster & smoother .

:D
Thanks for the report, I, like you, am thinking Renegade Verses Warrior and appreciate the report. I keep wondering about the ride, if I know it will ride smooth than it is "Warrior." I have a XTC Delux now and it surely doesn't ride like my buddies Xtra 10 or of course the M10 of another friend. I have had the shocks rebult and I am playing around with the lower gap on transfer rods, it is some better.
Thanks AGAIN Yamadoo.

SKI-DOG, are you sure the rattling noise isn't from the gearbox? I know the 04 are supposed to have this corrected, but maybe turning up the idle some will cure this and your starting problem when warm. Worked for me anyways on my 03 :!:

I've had the Warrior on some rough areas ; the ride seems very good ,plush but yet controlled . The sled is approaching the ride my 1996 500xt had , for those of you that don't know , these sleds rode like a pillow-worst handling sled on the planet though.Thankfully the Warrior handles well . I'll reserve final judgement til a few more miles.

Ski-Dog,

Regarding your question on the Tank Bag. I got one last season and had felt sewn on the portion that goes against the tank cover. I leave mine on most of the time, and even without the map bag it still leaves the two side pockets for adequate day storage.

ski-dog I agree totally with you on the storage topic I had the tank bag as part of my snow check and consider it part of the sled. I havn't checked the paint but the sled is black anyway. It works great and has the map case as well that you can disconnect quickly and carry in for a wobbley pop. But watch the clearance when you put the cab down mine gets sleightly caught. Like you I looked at the Rev renegade, my buddy bought one and we rode together on the weekend. I must say it's a different ride but easy to adjust too. We all agree though the warrior has the horniest sound.

I have the Yamaha tank bag and plenty of storage. I would probably recommend a soft cotton cloth underneath the tank bag to protect the tank. It is lined but I think it does scuff the paint a little bit.

Great job on the report , I wish I would of read yours before posting my report .

I forgot to add most of what you said.
the biggest complaint was storage , I had a sweater in another guys sled and some tools in another ( for track tightening)

I think you are right about the ski lift thing , mine was better than all the doos ,and it depends on what you are used to . Last year my friend thought mine handled great but he had an old safari

Yup. My tank bag caused one issue, and was partner in crime to another. First of all, yes, it not only scratched it, it wore the paint down to nothing. I started seeing a dull gray/black coming in. Second of all, had a package of spare bulbs, one worked it's way out of the package, broke and sat there lodged in my bag until the next stop, and yes, you guessed it, the filament poked throught he bag, rubbed on teh seat, and produced a small hole.

Solutions?

Nope, won't use a tank bag again unless it's got some form of soft cloth stitched underneath. No bulbs in tank bag for sure. Went to a Yammie backpack and fanny pack this year instead.

Paint job that I did covered teh shroud, so that's fixed.

Want a BOSS seat anyways, so left the hole as is and then I'll show my wife and say it keeps getting worse, what should I do? Oh......gosh...I think I can get an aftermarket seat....what's that company.....oh yeah....I think it's Boss. :lol:

Ski-Dog, you should not be concerned with the top speed issue. I thought the same thing, but the sled definately gets faster as you put more miles on it. It is definitly dependant on the snow conditions you are riding on as well and affected greatly by our 1.25 136inch track. On some trails, I would be in the 105 - 108 mph range and then when on a well packed flat that had some sun exposed to it, It showed 121 mph on the dreamometer. I have been wondering it Yamaha has a break in program in the computer?

JDKRXW said:
Ski Dog, I think you've nailed it with your assesment.
I also think that a rear suspension swap would be a total waste of $.
One thing I have noticed is that ski lift can reduced alot by doing two things (it doesn't bother me, but it appears that some people on the forum are fixated on this). (1) get your butt foreward onto the rear of the gas tank. (2) work the throttle smoothly... this sled has so much engine braking that backing off the gas too far puts the front end into compression like using the brakes on a 2 stroke.

THe addition of woody dualies 6 inchers made a huge difference on my sled.. also i lowered the front only two turns on each shock.. powering threw a corner is what this sled wants to do.. Lean hard and power threw the corner..

I think the noise you hear in your clutch has always been there just coudn't hear it with the 2 stoke.

Back