• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First trip out with Rear Heat Exchanger & Studs are Hitt

When you attach a file it should let you browse a folder. When you find the pic. in the folder you should be able to click on it and it should ask if you want to attach this pic then click yes

here sorry about dble pic.

Attachments

• Stud Damage for Ty3.jpg
    Stud Damage for Ty3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 99
  • Stud Damage for Ty4.jpg
    Stud Damage for Ty4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Stud Damage for Ty3.jpg
    Stud Damage for Ty3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 109
  • Smaller Image Stud Damage 003.JPG
    Smaller Image Stud Damage 003.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Smaller Image Stud Damage 001.JPG
    Smaller Image Stud Damage 001.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 128
I would tell your dealler to buy you a new Exchanger and put on adaquate protectors.
If they are not able to calculate what is adaquate, they shouldnt be installing them.
IMO

I may be wrong but The protectors they put on don't llook the same as the OEM ones that come with the LTX are they?..They don't look like it..

Looks like a hack job to me..Also those studs look a lot longer then 1.325's..

Go measure the protectors on a stock sled and compare..If I'm right you'll have some ammo to confront the guy who installed these.

Actually had another pic of studs, they barely are longer than the lugs. It is only the very tips that go past the lugs. They had brought in the tunnel protectors with the exchanger & said that it was the same length as the ones on my attak. However I believe they had to cut the current protectors to install the rear exchanger & then simply rigged the job done. I think if the original had been taken off & then reinstalled it would be the same as the new kit for the LTX & would have been thick enough to do the job correctly.

Again, take some measurements of the stud and of the lug between the windows of the track. The lug between the windows is what makes contact with the protector. If your protector is only a 1/2" tall, and your stud is 3/4" taller then the lug that contacts the protector, DAMAGE!!
Make the Dealer fix it, its their mistake!!

Attachments

• ripsaw.jpg
    ripsaw.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 100
Here is a couple of pics of mine.Going to make better ones when it gets warm out, but these work just fine. The marks in the exchanger are from the first set I made that did not work.
Rich

Attachments

• IMG_2320 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2320 (Small).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 105
These accessory coolers are just terrible for studded tracks. Look at the clearance thats taken up for suspension travel. Wonder why Yamaha doesn't wise up? You need one inch protectors over that cooler just like the ones in your tunnel. You have to be loosing about two inches of travel at least with this setup by the time you get the proper protectors in there. Put a cooler on top of the tunnel and it won't loose any clearance. They need to change the design to this style I fabed up for my old turbo sled.

Attachments

• IMG_0962 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0962 (600 x 450).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0963 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0963 (600 x 450).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 99
Does anyone have a picture of the new one on the LTX with the rear exchanger & the tunnel protectors? I believe it is sold together now to help offset this problem (Thought that was what they would be installing)

Find a set of the old platic tunnel protectors. cut them as long as the flat piece your ealer put in with 1 end, that goes towards the front of the sled, at a 45, then pop rivet them with long steel rivets to the bars your dealler put in. Thats whay I put in my warrior, and they never hit anymore. maxdlx

The LTX does not have a factory rear heat exchanger. I read that somewhere here earlier in season and looked under four Apex LTX's and not one to be found. They may be under the 3 cyl. version of the LTX as the first year it went into the Rage was 2006. It looks like the one they sell aftermarket. Same problem from the factory with them too. Takes up way to much clearance and the track hits it hard. Stud it, and the studs rip at the cooler even with factory 1" protectors that are installed to go over the cooler. That is a piss poor design and Yamaha should be embarrassed to bring it to the table. Maybe they have never seen a Arctic Cat, Polaris or Ski-Doo. Some of the boneheaded designs just make you wonder. But to keep using it year after year is just unbelievable. No manufacture is perfect, but some of this stuff is just common sense. Gets very frustrating to say the least.

KnappAttack said:
The LTX does not have a factory rear heat exchanger. I read that somewhere here earlier in season and looked under four Apex LTX's and not one to be found. They may be under the 3 cyl. version of the LTX as the first year it went into the Rage was 2006. It looks like the one they sell aftermarket. Same problem from the factory with them too. Takes up way to much clearance and the track hits it hard. Stud it, and the studs rip at the cooler even with factory 1" protectors that are installed to go over the cooler. That is a piss poor design and Yamaha should be embarrassed to bring it to the table. Maybe they have never seen a Arctic Cat, Polaris or Ski-Doo. Some of the boneheaded designs just make you wonder. But to keep using it year after year is just unbelievable. No manufacture is perfect, but some of this stuff is just common sense. Gets very frustrating to say the least.

I was at Currier RV MotorSports 2 months ago and in the show room was a 2008 Apex LTX (ATTAK) It was brand new and had the cooler installed..the tunnel protectors started way up front and ended riveted to the rear extension. I know cause I got down on my knees and gave a good look.. I installed the older style on mine so I know what I saw and the difference.

The same cooler he has above...The dealer hacked it.

They probably came in later production.. I doubt it was a dealer add on.

I have to go back this week and get some ordered parts when they come in..I'll take a camera and a pic and post it..Hopefully by Fri. for you.

Back