• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First trip out with Rear Heat Exchanger & Studs are Hitt

Again, I've looked at four machines, (2 on dealers floors, 2 on the trail) and NO COOLERS in any one of them. I bet you're looking at the 3 Cyl version which started to come with coolers in 06 Rage. Yamaha doesn't change things mid stream. What ever cooler you add underneath extension will take up clearance, I wouldn't even want one for a studded track. Instead of 11.5" of travel in rear suspension, you'll end up with 10" travel adding the one being sold by Yamaha.

KnappAttack said:
Again, I've looked at four machines, (2 on dealers floors, 2 on the trail) and NO COOLERS in any one of them. I bet you're looking at the 3 Cyl version which started to come with coolers in 06 Rage. Yamaha doesn't change things mid stream. What ever cooler you add underneath extension will take up clearance, I wouldn't even want one for a studded track. Instead of 11.5" of travel in rear suspension, you'll end up with 10" travel adding the one being sold by Yamaha.

I am going tommorrow and will post if they have that one still in stock. With a pic..
Also I have an 07 with 06 Flap...they were clear cut on using 06 leftover parts..

My 08 Job 2 SuperDuty has Job 1 parts as well. I can't believe Yamaha is going to be different then Ford etc.

I took 2 pics into the dealer today. Service guy said OOPS!!! He realized right away they screwed up. Said they would look after it & was ordering in the new exchanger right away. They made a mistake & are going to correct it, and all I had to do was show the pictures. Thats all I could ask for.
He said they did not realize the attak bottomed this much. He also said that explains why some guys bend the back up some. I weigh 205 lbs, would changing the spring do me any good or do I wait til next year & do shock & all.

Will take measurements for interest sake later tonight> :-o

Stud height thru the track is 33 mm or about 1 1/3 inches. The hieght of smallest lug is 15 mm (about .6 ") . The piece of metal they added as rear protector is 10 or 11 mm. Therefore the total of 25 or 26 mm is less than the 33mm which equals the damage shown. The 8 mm dif translates into less than a 1/3 inch (inch is 25.4 mm). FYI. Therefore a 1 inch protector would have done the job (Correct ???).

That's good of your dealer..make sure he's going to do it right..Ask questions..your intitled to answers.

Correct. I have that exact same cooler on a 05 warrior, and rode it with no protection, and scrapped it up bad. Added the 1.187 inch old plastic tunnel protectors, and problem solved. Save ur dealer some greif and money and just have them put on thicker protectors. Maxdlx

blackattak said:
Stud height thru the track is 33 mm or about 1 1/3 inches. The hieght of smallest lug is 15 mm (about .6 ") . The piece of metal they added as rear protector is 10 or 11 mm. Therefore the total of 25 or 26 mm is less than the 33mm which equals the damage shown. The 8 mm dif translates into less than a 1/3 inch (inch is 25.4 mm). FYI. Therefore a 1 inch protector would have done the job (Correct ???).

Until the lugs fold over on the track. The Rage had this setup factory with 1" protectors and the studs still hit because of lugs folding over. Won't go thru but will still hit pretty good.

KnappAttack said:
blackattak said:

Until the lugs fold over on the track. The Rage had this setup factory with 1" protectors and the studs still hit because of lugs folding over. Won't go thru but will still hit pretty good.

Exactly. Especially RIPSAW lugs. Ripsaw lugs are soft when compared to the old style solid type lugs and they will flex over fairly easy when you bottom out allowing the studs to make contact.

I had 1.325" studs on my Warrior and had 1" square tubing as protectors and the studs still rip the fins to shreds BUT never punctured the cooler.

blackattak said:
Finally found Water Wetter at one of the Canadian Tires I tried. Most places in my area did not carry it. Get the sled back tomorrow.

The cooler will fix it.. I just went out today and my friends Cat''s 4 strokes overheated again.. a few times.

Mine never did...ran like a charm

I hope the dealer put good protectors on..they did a hack job to me.

well just got back from the 1st run with the new exchanger with the made by Yamaha tunnel protectors.

Based on my calculations befor a 1 inch protector would give just enough clearance. Problem is that the tunnel protector sits on the exchanger in a slot that has no fins as a results the fins are lower than the top of the tunnel protector thus less than 1 full inch. After 60 miles the fins have been hit but not nearly as badd as last time. I will keep this 2nd exchanger as the cuts are not nearly as deep. However I strongly recommend the tunnel protector over the exchanger to be at least 1 1/2 inches in total. If the piece of metal they had used before had been placed on top of the new tunnel protectors added, the total thickness would have been 40 mm or just over 1 1/2 inches & I don't thing there would be any worries at all. Mike Knapp said that ealier & from my expierience he is TOTALLY correct. FYI

the 1 1/2 in clearance would be for your protector? right? On mine which doesn't have the slot's for the protectors to sit in 1 in.woulld be a consistent 1in. clearance all along the cooler from the fin tops. so I shouuld be alright with 1 325's.. Or wil the Ripsaw soft lugs still scrape?

Back