• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

flooding engine on let off

Glad it worked :)

If I can't solve the overfueling at wot from a standstill I will give it another shot hooking up the FPR to the carb boots.

Mine seems to die either from snapping the throttle shut, or when I shoot over the top and back off. Maybe I am actually dropping it too fast in the thrill of the moment, but it was dead when I landed on terra firma and it was definately flooded.I would love a fix for this problem.

wienerwater said:
Mine seems to die either from snapping the throttle shut, or when I shoot over the top and back off. Maybe I am actually dropping it too fast in the thrill of the moment, but it was dead when I landed on terra firma and it was definately flooded.I would love a fix for this problem.

Thats exactly what was happening to mine, those 2 scenarios.

Roest said:
This was a very common problem with the carbed turbos a few years back. I had an MCX rear mount and SOLVED my problem by taking my signal for the fuel pressure regulator from the intake manifolds instead of the intercooler. That way when you chop (close) the throttle the regulator does not sense a boost spike and overfuel. Opinions at the time by some people were that doing this would cause a lean condition at part throttle but this was never a problem with my sled. Put over 10,000 kms on it before selling it, and as far as I know its still going strong.
I have a little bit of a different problem on my 03 rx1 I just installed a boondocker side mount this year. After making a 7 to 10 sec hard run up the hill and backing off the throttle the sled dies like you hit the kill switch. My AFR is good 11.5 to 12.5 and when the sled stalls the AFR gauge reads lean --- AEM . I have the FPR and BOV teeed into the back side of the carbs. I moved the BOV between the peto tube and the turbo which before was mounted on the front side of the IC. I set the fuel pressure at 5lbs at idle and while having problems I installed a fuel pressure gauge in my fuel lines and I noticed that when the sled comes off the throttle the fuel pressure goes down to 1lbs which tells me that there is a vaccum on my fuel system which will come from the back side of the carbs? With vacum on the carbs I think the the Float bowls are running out of fuel what do you think? So I moved my FPR signal teeed into the peto tube which is on the charge tube which gives me the corrrect pressure for the fuel system as the booost level goes up. Should the FPR have a signal of pressure or vaccum and do they make different gauges for different aplications. The signal on my FPR says turbo on the spud from the factory. Havent tried the change I will on 1/15/10. Any help or ideas would be great. thanks BB

I have a 03rx with a boondocker side mount and I have no problems of flooding when i let off wot,but it took me 10 weeks going twice a weekend to get the problem fixed and I know it is a pain in the a,,,ss to figure crap out but it can work right and it will just dont give up, here's my set up I hope It will help. 125 mains,17.5pilots,2turns out on fuel screw,needle 2nd from top[lean] fuel presssure 4lbs. getting signal for fuel presssure from the IC running 14lbs of boost, also make sure that you take out the little screens out of the needle and seat that will help keep the right amount of fuel in the float bowls,or it just gets ride of a restricion the needle and seat is a 1.5 and you can run up to a 2.0 with a electric fuel pump no bigger, I run the 1.5 and the sled is running really good. I also moved the BOV from the IC to the charge tube between the peto tube and the turbo good luck I hope it will work keep a post.

May have solved a few of my issues as well. I was never sure what the updated float bowls looked like, until I seen a side by side pic. Mine were never done, I only assumed they were and from what I was led to believe. I now have the updated bowls, longer tubes, and re-jetted, so will see what happens now.

wienerwater - please post results running with the new float bowls :)

Mountaintech said:
This was a very common problem with the carbed turbos a few years back. I had an MCX rear mount and SOLVED my problem by taking my signal for the fuel pressure regulator from the intake manifolds instead of the intercooler. That way when you chop (close) the throttle the regulator does not sense a boost spike and overfuel. Opinions at the time by some people were that doing this would cause a lean condition at part throttle but this was never a problem with my sled. Put over 10,000 kms on it before selling it, and as far as I know its still going strong.

does anyone have a pic of how this looks?

thank you!

Do you know if this will affect the afr? I just finished rerouting and with my bad luck my afr gauge went out. Im leaving for a radar run in a hour and hoping it wont lean it out too much if any.

I don't think so. The difference is that the float bowls are deeper and have a few other design properties. It does contain more fuel, and the pickup area for the main jet is different preventing fuel starvation when climbing in the steep or in hard acceleration in a drag race.

No more fuel starvation :)

Back