• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FOR ALL THE N.Y. RIDERS !

Yamanator

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
Hey guy's, I have some relative's that live about 15 min north of Watkins Glenn on the east side of Lake Seneca near Hector! I have a free place to stay if I want to come and do some riding this year, so my question is, are there any really good trails in this area? my cousin tells me they get a chit load of snow in that area because Seneca lk never freeze's! before I try and make plans to go there this winter I just thought I would ask some of you NY guys if it is worth the 7 hour trip or not! Also, if anybody is from around the Watkins area, my cousins cousin owns the bar downtown (his name is Bobby) that is known for it's hot wings.
Let me know what you guys think, and oh yeah my cousins last name is Wolf, and they are very well known in the area.................... ;)!

Yam I live about a half hour north of Hector and hopefully I can give you some advice. Besides the Tug its pretty hit or miss around here. It goes from year to year on weather or not I even put any miles on my sled from home. So what I am saying is I guess if this is the winter we get a bunch snow around home you would be able to put some miles on. But I dont think you will be able to plan it to far out as we usually get dumped on and then its gone after a week or two.

Yox is right though you will be only about 2.5 hours from the hill where pretty much from Jan to Mar you can guarantee a good weekend. Def worth the drive for the day even if you stay in Hector but go during the week not the weekend.

NY

Not to hyjack this posting, but I am definately looking at making a run towards NY this winter. I ride with my core group of eight guys and we try to do something different each season. We have talked about going to New York now for the last four seasons, just haven't done it.

New York crew, sell me on where me and my group should head to. Everyone here talks about Tug. Is it worth the trip and the surrounding areas? We would look to make the road trip around the first part of Feb and stay for a week.

My crew usually puts anywhere from 3000 to 4000 miles a season on our sleds. All different types of riding. Obviously a fair share of trails, but as with my new sled purchase and a couple of the others we have been doing a lot more off trail playing and boondocking across the Michigan UP.

Thoughts and advise??? :Rockon:

Thanks Guys.

I havent ridden a lot of other places except the Tug Hill, been riding there since I was a little one. My crew and I put on roughly 2000 miles a year up there based near Montague Inn. Worth it for us since we have a camp there but there are some pretty nice places to stay.

I think its worth it for you b/c you can make it for a week. I wouldnt advise it if you could only come on the weekend anymore. Trails are absolutely shot by Sat afternoon and the traffic is nuts. With that being said if you like to take long day trips or even if you want to ride all day and stay over someplace else you can do some pretty long rides. Starting at the hill you can ride to Old Forge, Stillwater Reservoir (do some lake riding), and keep going pretty much as far as you feel like riding north/east. I am sure there are some guys that ride more towards that way that can chime in. Point is the Hill is pretty small but if the snow is good the trails are pretty extensive if you get off the Hill.

Definitely stay away from Presidents Day weekend as its pretty busy that week even towards the middle of the week. Not going to be much but groomed trail riding as most of the private land that we used to boondock in has been closed down.

Hope that helps a little, let me know if you want some more specifics... also in my signature I have a blog that goes back over the past years worth of riding if you want to see some pics... just weed through all the other stuff or click on the Camp category.

Just post up when you are going to be in NY. We do 2-3 TY rides in NY every winter....and a bunch of us TY'ers get together often to ride.

Just keep an eye out for the Ny Ride threads which usually pop around Dec or Jan. they are definitely not the huge turnouts like the UP rides, but definitely still a good time and alot of riding.

Billey is right though, anything off of Tug Hill is hit or miss. Last winter was great for riding other areas off of Tug Hill. We did have a good winter last season getting alot of riding off the hill.

There is some great riding to the east of Lake Seneca (bout an hour or so) in Cortland County, again, IF there is snow. And the last 2 years have really been a wash in that area.

So if you want to be GUARANTEED plenty of snow, Tug Hill is where it is at, if you had to book a trip well in advance. Otherwise, the other areas do get snow and do have great trails....just not the best probability of good snow.

NY

Cool. I will be watching the postings about the rides in NY. I was told to look into a place this year and so far NY is what I am thinking. Next year the crew is heading west to Colorado and going to play in the hills. (got a relative who just moved out there and is going to give us the hookup next year 10-11)

:Rockon:

dox06, I have been riding Tug hill area for over 30 years. Has the most reliable snow of anywhere in New York. Last year I rode on Tug Hill from October thru April. East of Lake Erie also gets a fair amount of snow, but is no where close to getting the snow Tug Hill gets off from Lake Ontario. Many places on Tug Hill average close to 400" per year. If the snow fall is average you can take many rides off the Hill. I usually put over 200 miles on each time I go out. I lead alot of The New York Totally Yamaha rides. If you group decides to come out to New york to ride this Winter, send me a PM, as I can give you a lot of good Information on where to stay, and may even be able to guide your group aroud a few days.

NY

BIG BLACK WARRIOR said:
dox06, I have been riding Tug hill area for over 30 years. Has the most reliable snow of anywhere in New York. Last year I rode on Tug Hill from October thru April. East of Lake Erie also gets a fair amount of snow, but is no where close to getting the snow Tug Hill gets off from Lake Ontario. Many places on Tug Hill average close to 400" per year. If the snow fall is average you can take many rides off the Hill. I usually put over 200 miles on each time I go out. I lead alot off The New York Totally Yamaha rides. If you group decides to come out to New york to ride this Winter, send me a PM, as I can give you a lot of good Information on where to stay, and may even be able to guide your group aroud a few days.

If I could start riding as soon as October, sign me up. I would defintaley make more than 1 trip to NY if you are riding then. I am happy if I get any miles on my sled by mid Dec, here. Lets hope that the snow gods are good to all of us this season.

Re: NY

dox06 said:
BIG BLACK WARRIOR said:
dox06, I have been riding Tug hill area for over 30 years. Has the most reliable snow of anywhere in New York. Last year I rode on Tug Hill from October thru April. East of Lake Erie also gets a fair amount of snow, but is no where close to getting the snow Tug Hill gets off from Lake Ontario. Many places on Tug Hill average close to 400" per year. If the snow fall is average you can take many rides off the Hill. I usually put over 200 miles on each time I go out. I lead alot off The New York Totally Yamaha rides. If you group decides to come out to New york to ride this Winter, send me a PM, as I can give you a lot of good Information on where to stay, and may even be able to guide your group aroud a few days.

If I could start riding as soon as October, sign me up. I would defintaley make more than 1 trip to NY if you are riding then. I am happy if I get any miles on my sled by mid Dec, here. Lets hope that the snow gods are good to all of us this season.

Trails in NY don't open until december after hunting season. You can ride the hill before then but you have to stick to seasonal roads only which makes for very little riding area. Tug hill isn't worth the drive until the groomers start rolling and get a base down.

Yamanator said:
Hey guy's, I have some relative's that live about 15 min north of Watkins Glenn on the east side of Lake Seneca near Hector! I have a free place to stay if I want to come and do some riding this year, so my question is, are there any really good trails in this area? my cousin tells me they get a chit load of snow in that area because Seneca lk never freeze's! before I try and make plans to go there this winter I just thought I would ask some of you NY guys if it is worth the 7 hour trip or not! Also, if anybody is from around the Watkins area, my cousins cousin owns the bar downtown (his name is Bobby) that is known for it's hot wings.
Let me know what you guys think, and oh yeah my cousins last name is Wolf, and they are very well known in the area.................... ;)!

Don't know anything about that area but it looks like a good winter coming for New Yorkers.

2009-10winter.jpg

06vectorgt said:

I saw that same Accuweather map (prediction). Unfortuntely it looks like their prediction show the "Cold & Snowy" SOUTH of I-90, which is well south of Tug Hill. BUT, that doesnt mean Tug Hill wont be getting snow, since the area mostly relies on Lake Effect snow off of Lk Ontario.

So with that said......us downstate NY'ers are LOVING the looks of that Accuweather map!!! More snowmobiling in Orange County NY this winter? I'll take it!!

Maybe BBW, our friendly TY weather correspondent, will chime in with his predictions!

-Steve (O.C.)

Some more prediction on the pattern;

Bastardi predicts the current El Niño will fade over the winter and will probably not play as much of a role in the overall weather pattern as one would think during a typical El Niño year.

The areas that will be hit hardest this winter by cold, snowy weather will be from New England through the Appalachians and mid-Atlantic, including North Carolina. Areas from New York City to Raleigh have gotten by the past two years with very little snowfall. This year these areas could end up with above-normal snowfall.

While some parts of the Appalachians did have harsh winter weather in the form of ice last year, this winter could be one of the snowiest since 2002-03, when up to 80 inches fell in many places. Snowfall totals this year could reach between 50 and 100 inches. Last winter, the usage of salt was way up due to the number of ice storms. Salt supplies could be compromised again this year for state and local road crews that battle the winter weather. On the other hand, ski resorts could have a great year with plenty of powder for skiers.

Bastardi adds that the overall weather pattern that has prevailed this summer is pointing to a winter very similar to that of 2002-03, when major cities on the East Coast had above-average snowfall. Expert Senior Meteorologist Henry Margusity points out that in February of 2003, a major snowstorm paralyzed much of the Interstate 95 corridor, including New York City and Philadelphia. During the storm, airports were closed, roads were impassable, roofs collapsed and some schools were closed for a week, causing summer vacations to start late.

The storm track that could develop this year will bring storms up the Eastern Seaboard. This type of storm track will differ from that of the past two years, when storms tended to take a track farther west from Texas into the Great Lakes. That track into the Great Lakes brought unseasonably mild weather to the major East Coast cities, keeping them on the more rainy side of the storms. The track this year right along the Eastern Seaboard would put the major cities on the cold, wintry side of the storms.

Back