• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

For those of you who have a 2016-2017 Viper with the updated engine....

YamaSpark

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR VIPER S-TX 137 DX
How has the "new and improved" Viper engine been treating those of you who have it?
Any starter failures, oil or coolant leaks, oil burning, hard cold or hot starting, catastrophic engine failures (bent rods, toasted pistons), or any other issues?
Also, how many miles on your sled?
Thanks!

1 season, 4200 km, no problems.

Haven't even ridden mine yet so I hope no problems lol

1200 on my 17 and 2000 on 16. No problems what so ever. Had a torrs issue on my 17 that was fixed with a simple adjustment. I wouldn't give buying a 16 or 17 any thought. Besides if I ever turbo'd I would do it right and have rods inspected and replaced if needed.

1200 miles on my 16 and no issues. Sled runs great and I believe they changed up some suspension settings in the skid as well giving it a better ride than years past but don't quote me on that. Some of the doom and gloom posts lead people to believe every new motor has bad rods which is not the case. I fully believe there are way less bad rods out there than people think.

After being out of sledding for several seasons I bought a left,over 2016 RTX DX last season. Only got 500 miles on, poor season, but I had no major issues. Had 1 TORS issue fixed with throttle adjustment and first trip up north at minus 15 it did not want to start. Cranked but no fire. It eventually started after trying for several minutes and it never happened again. After reading several posts of starting issues when cold I suspect I may have had the frozen relay issue. I did not encounter temps that cold again last season so don't know if there is still an issue or not. After getting the sled ergos and suspension adjusted to my liking I have been very pleased with it. With some clutching it pulls like a freight train on bottom and mid range but is lacking on top end. No leaks of any kind. Other then the 1 time it has always started fine cold and hot. No kick back issues. My biggest complaint is the headlight. If you adjust it on low beam hi is to hi and useless. If you adjust it good on hi beam then low is to low and useless. Other then that so far so good. It is part Cat and some things do seem a little cheap, after riding Yamahas from 1984 to 2010 I might be a little biased. Looking forward to better conditions and more miles this season. I was not concerned about the rod issue since I have no plans to turbo. I'd get the Winder if I wanted a turbo.

I have a 16 turbo. No issues at all what so ever. I have had the rods changed but old ones had 4000K on them and were fine. My motor looked like it was brand new. Hardly broken in the mechanic said. I now have close to 6000K and no issues with motor or anything else.

As for the head light I agree its a pain to get it right but Rocztoyz HID's helped out a ton.

2016 stx dx 146 12,000 km and not a problem. still on stock slides and got 8500km on first belt. sled is stock other than 8dn belt.

2016 with the turbo. 4000 miles on it. Just had the new rods put in and have not drove it yet. No issues with the engine at all.

Back