• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Forgot just what a blast these Winders are!

I wonder if the iTC will be the next thing the tuners play with. Should be pretty easy compared to hacking the engine management. Example is my Tundra. Back when people were slamming Toyotas into buildings and such and blaming it on the throttle Toyota wanted to reprogram all the drive by wire systems. Keep sending recalls to me to this day. I have driven the reflashed systems and they really are drastic difference but not responsive like mine so I wont do it. I bet Hurricane,TD and Precision will have options for the iTC soon. Cnat see liability being anymore of a issue than there current tunes so why not?
The original problem with doo 4s is an intake that places the TB upwards of 8 inches from the cylinder. Yes I said INCHES!(pic below)...BRP wanted their 4s to be mounted low and in traditional manner(Exh forward), so they had no choice but run the intake runner up overtop of the jackshaft. IMO this is why YAM has always been the only true performance feeling 4s available. Every YAM 4s that has been mounted with intakes out front, and tipped back allows for very good handling even with a higher COG. And most importantly allows for the TB's to be directly bolted to the cyls, making for the best throttle response 4s avail. Not too mention the exhaust goes out the back placing much of the heat in a better location then out in front of engine.

The iTC was brought on by BRP to try to reduce the terrible response, but can only mask it so much. BRP and now Tuners have been able to play with the iTC parameters already, but it still cannot and WILL NOT ever feel like a normal throttle. They can set it up to move much quicker then the thumb to make it feel snappy, but the problem is then it becomes very hard to modulate. We found when riding different 900t's, be it stock or tuned...the iTC has an On/OFF feel....there is no happy medium. So for tighter trail guys, riding corner to corner, stand up riding, mogul riding, slow speed riding ect ect...the iTC is just downright annoying. They offer a standard and ECO mode for these situations, but these modes 'NUMB' the feel so much, it then feels totally laggy or doggy.

I was all in on trying one of these 900t's, I have always been a Doo/Yam guy and am not brand loyal, each brand has their strong and weak points, but after riding a couple of these and really putting time into them on the trails we ride, and also lake riding....I just felt the throttle was too much of a compromise. Lets face it, you touch the throttle every single second of every ride, so that is literally the most important thing that must feel right!

Dan

2014-Ski-Doo-Expedition-Sport-ACE-900-Engine-Cutaway.jpg

Last edited:

7C0F3DF9-B2A7-4023-B9FD-167F5A39AC45.jpeg
AF76F4C0-6198-44DA-B650-22881CCC8EA6.jpeg
5709A221-74C0-4709-A626-EE8626E38D0A.jpeg
764D6D6F-DD66-473F-B13F-9898C0395FD7.jpeg
3B18C894-541C-40C8-9B15-045D2C77AA83.jpeg
A649A803-2856-4C06-9D48-4B0D1417CBC3.jpeg
FD2B5752-4A0D-4EFE-A045-457CD9E94556.jpeg
Great 350km trip today up to abitibi canyon , mostly cruising at 60- 80 mph trails at only about 1/3 throttle ( 850 Polaris at 3/4s.. lol ) fulled Up at the canyon put in 27 L , 850 Polaris 33L . Would probably put higher gearing in next time up here( 22/38 ) .Cant beat these trails for April 5 & it looks like the weather is going to hold out for another week here

Last edited:
The original problem with doo 4s is an intake that places the TB upwards of 8 inches from the cylinder. Yes I said INCHES!(pic below)...BRP wanted their 4s to be mounted low and in traditional manner(Exh forward), so they had no choice but run the intake runner up overtop of the jackshaft. IMO this is why YAM has always been the only true performance feeling 4s available. Every YAM 4s that has been mounted with intakes out front, and tipped back allows for very good handling even with a higher COG. And most importantly allows for the TB's to be directly bolted to the cyls, making for the best throttle response 4s avail. Not too mention the exhaust goes out the back placing much of the heat in a better location then out in front of engine.

The iTC was brought on by BRP to try to reduce the terrible response, but can only mask it so much. BRP and now Tuners have been able to play with the iTC parameters already, but it still cannot and WILL NOT ever feel like a normal throttle. They can set it up to move much quicker then the thumb to make it feel snappy, but the problem is then it becomes very hard to modulate. We found when riding different 900t's, be it stock or tuned...the iTC has an On/OFF feel....there is no happy medium. So for tighter trail guys, riding corner to corner, stand up riding, mogul riding, slow speed riding ect ect...the iTC is just downright annoying. They offer a standard and ECO mode for these situations, but these modes 'NUMB' the feel so much, it then feels totally laggy or doggy.

I was all in on trying one of these 900t's, I have always been a Doo/Yam guy and am not brand loyal, each brand has their strong and weak points, but after riding a couple of these and really putting time into them on the trails we ride, and also lake riding....I just felt the throttle was too much of a compromise. Lets face it, you touch the throttle every single second of every ride, so that is literally the most important thing that must feel right!

Dan

View attachment 148057

Very little is said regarding the Throttle by wire on the 2016 And up Vector/Venture. From what I've read it is very authentic feeling and responsive. The technology is derivative of Yamaha motorcycle technology. Sounds like it really outperforms the ski doo itc. Thoughts?

View attachment 148061 View attachment 148062 View attachment 148063 View attachment 148064 View attachment 148065 View attachment 148066 View attachment 148067 Great 350km trip today up to abitibi canyon , mostly cruising at 60- 80 mph trails at only about 1/3 throttle ( 850 Polaris at 3/4s.. lol ) fulled Up at the canyon put in 27 L , 850 Polaris 33L . Would probably put higher gearing in next time up here( 22/38 ) .Cant beat these trails for April 5

Did the Polaris 850 tell the gas guy to keep the change after he handed him $100?

Did the Polaris 850 tell the gas guy to keep the change after he handed him $100?
Those guys up there round up to the nearest $5.
For example, if your gas and food come to $87, and you give them $90, you ain't getting change!

Very little is said regarding the Throttle by wire on the 2016 And up Vector/Venture. From what I've read it is very authentic feeling and responsive. The technology is derivative of Yamaha motorcycle technology. Sounds like it really outperforms the ski doo itc. Thoughts?
My dad had one of those and I felt it was just as responsive as the previous models.

Persoally I think ITC is a good idea if done right, which was probably an easy thing to do for yamaha as they used a regular stroke throttle and they already have triple throttle bodies stacked right beside the engine to work with. As previously stated, it seems doo is trying to program the ITC to counteract the lag from the single injector, which has way to much distance to travel. The bigger power of the 900T probably enhances the on/off feel, which seems to be further exaggerated with the short awkward throw of the throttle. Many people still like it and learn to live with it, but those that want perfection in the thumb/throttle to track feel need to look elsewhere. As much as doo does allot of things right, they messed up on this one. Trying to keep engine in a certain location and running a jackshaft right behind the intake caused the need to create a long intake going around jackshaft, which obviously has a side effect. Just my opinion anyways.

Dan

Last edited:
DBW is a great thing, if the engine has good response to begin with. YAM 4s engines have their TB's within very close proximity of the cylinders. So their DBW works amazing. Also YAM uses a cable and real lever if I recall,which attaches to a servo motor. So not only does it work well, it also 'feels' NORMAL against your thumb. DOO could/should at least make their lever feel normal to begin with, that would at least give the perception of normality.

Dan

Last edited:
Those guys up there round up to the nearest $5.
For example, if your gas and food come to $87, and you give them $90, you ain't getting change!
When we were there in February the gas was $3/litre so I figured $99 to fill the Polaris!

When we were there in February the gas was $3/litre so I figured $99 to fill the Polaris!
I test drove an 850 Polaris for 250miles be for checking my winder. The 850 etec in my group only beat me at the pump by 1.5 litres all 3 fill ups. The poo is actually good on fuel and will spank an 850 doo stock to stock.

F85AA71F-B000-4DE1-8C18-E3EA5BE1E17C.jpeg
74E99281-2A3E-41F5-A53D-FC79A47CE5D5.jpeg
4536CB96-AA31-4DB3-99B4-0BE35ECD9E38.jpeg
7E770372-8F74-47E2-9135-5B87C874778D.jpeg
DB8916CB-063D-43E1-A10E-35A4C84B044C.jpeg
37EEE509-C38E-48BE-8FAF-A146DFF7E223.jpeg
Yes they didn't have change .. lol . It's 3$ liter , at the canyon. Probably could have made around the loop to smooth rock , it would be close . The green Arctic Cat secondary spring with 35deg helix really improved my gas mileage , wish I had tried it earlier in season. With the secondary spring & duralon bushings in clutch rollers ,the winder is really making for exceptional riding ! Some more good riding down to Kirkland lake today . Sad to see the season go ...

Last edited:
I test drove an 850 Polaris for 250miles be for checking my winder. The 850 etec in my group only beat me at the pump by 1.5 litres all 3 fill ups. The poo is actually good on fuel and will spank an 850 doo stock to stock.
The other thing everyone forgets is the injection oil , it was more than 65$ in oil this weekend for the 2 stroke... which is more than offset the cost to put belts on every 1000 miles

Last edited:

Back