• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox Float 3 front shocks, any good?

YamaSpark

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR VIPER S-TX 137 DX
Since my back and knees have seen better days (from 30 years of hard riding on old school sleds), I need a sled that won't beat the crap out of me now.
I've been looking at a Viper S-TX DX with Fox Float 3 front shocks. Can these shocks be set up for a plush ride, or would I be better of with coil over shocks? How reliable are the Floats?
Thanks!

I’m 66 years old and have a neck that my neurosurgeon has declared “all messed up”. I had my first surgery about 25 years ago and that was fusion of C6-7 to correct my right arm going limp and feeling like it was on fire to the point that I was looking at kitchen knifes selecting which one I was going to use to cut off my arm. Slept 16 weeks in a chair because I could not lay down. I originally bought the LTX deluxe in 2014, but my wife loved it, so in mid February I bought a LTX SE. the Fox Float 3’s never did break in like the deluxe package and at the end of February I ordered axis pro shocks for the front of the SE. Unfortunately three days before the Axis shocks arrived, during a ride with my brother I herniated a disk at C7-T1 that required micro surgery. I never did get complete use of my left hand back but I have 50% of the grip strength and I can now put things in my left pocket and retrieve things from left pockets something I could not do prior to surgery. So if you have back issues I would strongly recommend doing something to preserve your health prior to exacerbating any issue you may currently have. The Float 3’s were harsh and hurt my neck on almost every ride I took. Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

IMG_2717.JPG
Evol's are very adjustable I love them. I'm only 165lbs and have no problem turning them down for a plush ride. Get C&A skis so you don't need much air pressure in the shock for turning then they ride great. With the stock skis you have to turn up the air so high the ride suffers.

I came from a 2015 LTX DX with standard coil-overs to a 2016 XTX with the Float 3's all around. The Float 3's were really harsh in the rear, and I bought Fox QS3 coil-overs for the rear suspension and love them. It is only 3 different settings, but in the rear that is 3 different settings on each of the front and rear shocks, so there are nine different combinations, and the differences are very noticeable.

I still have the Float 3's up front, and they actually performed pretty well, but I am seriously thinking about ordering the QS3's for the front shocks as well; their adjustability for conditions is simple and effective.

I have float 3's but also have the evols on them. They are great. If it only has the Floats, put on the Hygear chambers and you will love them. qs3's may be the future but chambers are not anywhere near as expensive as putting on new qs3's

I decided to go with the HyGear Evol chambers for my front Float 3's. I have my sled in the garage and hope to do the installation this week. The video makes it look pretty simple, but I wondered if anyone has had experience and can confirm (or not) that it is that easy? Does anyone know what I should torque the nuts to when I reinstall the front shocks?

Install is super easy, it comes with good instructions. Just be sure to leak test it before you put them back on and you fill the rebound chamber first then the ride height chamber. I did my last week, super easy and all common sense.

x2 for super easy. Did mine this past sunday in about 45 min total. Just need snow to adjust!!
Snowing now and falling heavier as the temperature falls. Many areas around us have 5+ inches of snow now with the heaviest to come this evening. Hope your ready!

I’m ready along with the whole fleet of 11 Yamahas ranging from 97 to 17. LOL! We’re actually ahead of the game this year. Just got my buddy’s nytro’s slides and a snow flap reattach left. The old iron keeps going! Perfect for my buddy’s kids! Let it snow, let it snow!

I’m ready along with the whole fleet of 11 Yamahas ranging from 97 to 17. LOL! We’re actually ahead of the game this year. Just got my buddy’s nytro’s slides and a snow flap reattach left. The old iron keeps going! Perfect for my buddy’s kids! Let it snow, let it snow!
OK time for a snow update. Just cleared about 11 inches from the cememt apron on my garage. I cleared this area twice yesterday. Perhaps 12-13 inches after some compacting. I’m in Lakes of the orth. Just heard from a friend south and east of Mancelona just south of Starvation Lake Road who has 8.5 inches of snow.

Time to go for a test ride. I removed my transfer blocks a couple weeks ago from my sled and lost a bunch of weight since last season sooooo...

Back