• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox Megafloat rear shock upgrade?

kinger said:
RTX - man god love ya for being that loyal to that CK suspension, if you were closer I would let you hop on my ZX2, it never bottoms, and makes the sled feel 100lbs lighter no joke.

To me you proved that the suspension is not properly designed when your shock valveing for 40lbs more then you actually weigh.

A real suspension transfers, doesn't force ratcheting, as soft initial stroke manners for the trail chatter and big bump no bottoming resistance. It seems with the CK you get to pick 1 to fix and live with the other 2.

I have the mono shock suspension in my apex not the CK suspension
ya i agree the suspension is a little underdesigned but as a flat trail suspension it is beautiful. i absolutely love it. it is when things get rough that it has it's issues.
I did the suspension swap on my viper and while i loved the expert x i put in it. i dont feel i want to do it all over again with my apex. I really believe the float is going to resolve my issues i am just hoping to get one at a reasonable price

Oh yeah forgot the 06's have the mono I will be curious to the reviews the mega float gets I think it could fit the mono perfectly. Also make it the lightest OEM suspension made right now.

I think that Mega Float will be the real deal.

Hmmmmmmmmm...... Maybe a group buy would be a great idea with Port Parts. Let's see what they come up with !

Mike

Thanks for the responses. Didnt intend it to turn into a debate....but sometimes an open discussion is good.

I currently have the EC Ohlins, which was rebuild/revalved by Hygear last season, plus the heavier spring. Very plush ride in the smooth stuff, but wasnt too thrilled in the big stuff, still bottomed occasionally, etc. So figured I would explore the Fox Megafloat as an option.

At any rate, found the Megafloat shock is not available until Dec 1st. Figure if I sell the EC Ohlins for a couple hundred that I'd only be dropping alittle more coin for the Megafloat, so def would not spend the $799, flat out, for the shock.

See what kinda of deal Port will throw out with a group buy.

Thanks for the responses/input

--Steve (O.C.)

NY AttakGT said:
Thanks for the responses. Didnt intend it to turn into a debate....but sometimes an open discussion is good.

I currently have the EC Ohlins, which was rebuild/revalved by Hygear last season, plus the heavier spring. Very plush ride in the smooth stuff, but wasnt too thrilled in the big stuff, still bottomed occasionally, etc. So figured I would explore the Fox Megafloat as an option.

At any rate, found the Megafloat shock is not available until Dec 1st. Figure if I sell the EC Ohlins for a couple hundred that I'd only be dropping alittle more coin for the Megafloat, so def would not spend the $799, flat out, for the shock.

See what kinda of deal Port will throw out with a group buy.

Thanks for the responses/input

--Steve (O.C.)

If you are serious about selling your selling your EC ohlins in a couple months, I would be interested in buying it. Send me an email ILOVSNO28@aol.com when you're ready to part with it and hopefully we can work something out

PSUApex09 said:
If you are serious about selling your selling your EC ohlins in a couple months, I would be interested in buying it. Send me an email ILOVSNO28@aol.com when you're ready to part with it and hopefully we can work something out

Definitely not serious...yet. Just kicking the idea around and seeing what others have to say. Will keep ya in mind though.
;)!

--Steve (O.C.)

The Megafloat is quite interesting. Monoshocks have a falling rate linkage designed for ride comfort. They were never meant for major bumps. By adding a rising rate air shock, you can still achieve a measure of ride comfort in the first few inches of travel, but you also can gain improved anti-bottoming towards the end of the stroke. Adding air pressure to a Float not only increases pre-load, but also increases the spring rate. This is not possible on a coil spring, without replacing the spring. I rode an '11 SE with the air pressure set to 185psi, and while it didn't have as much comfort (I'd say minus 15%) as my 136" mono with a 5.5 kg spring, it was still very comfortable on small bumps. But in the bigger bumps it was unbelievable! On a short 10km ride, I did not bottom once. Now I only weight 185lbs, but ride at a decent pace, and I'd say anti-bottoming was improved by at least 50%. Since it is the harsh bottoming that breaks most components, I think this new megafloat will be an awesome cure for aggressive riding with a monoshock. Of course, if you are a stand-up ditch-banger, you really shouldn't be riding with a monoshock... you should probably be on a Nytro.

I will be selling my EC ohlins for the new mega float, my Ec ohlins was just rebuilt last december and only has 700 miles on it, I have reciepts....The new float is out in dec. I will be taking it out of my sled the third week of october. I will give a very good deal to a ty member if anyone is intrested.

Shouldnt you post that in the FOR SALE section and not hijack my thread, newb? Thought this thread was a comparison/suggestion thread about Fox Megafloat, not a for sale thread?

:jack:

--Steve (O.C)

Trig 313 said:
I will be selling my EC ohlins for the new mega float, my Ec ohlins was just rebuilt last december and only has 700 miles on it, I have reciepts....The new float is out in dec. I will be taking it out of my sled the third week of october. I will give a very good deal to a ty member if anyone is intrested.

Actually, there is a guy stepping up to the plate and trying this shock out. That's good to know. First TY'er to actually state they are going to give it a go!!!!!!

Mike

thats all i'm trying to state is that i'm going to put the shock in and run it, i've too have a pile of w arms, and 5 yes 5 broken slide rails, rebuilt my ec ohlins twice with hy gear and pioneer, then once with my local motocross shop, still bottoms, i'm 6'4" 240 I ride hard and fast on trails thats it, no ditch banging etc. and it still bottoms,
my thread may have looked like i was just trying to sell something...but it was more just my shear response to this thread of excitment that maybe this new shock will be the answer,
to nyattack gt,, when my shock is for sale I will put it for sale in the for sale section, for now Im in for the new mega float and just want to throw the option out to fellow ty members, and yes i'll give you the same deal i would everyone else.
;)!

please take the time to post your results after you get some ride time on the new shock.
i think a lot of us are interested.

I will take pics of the install process and fill everyone in on the ride, I hope to get to the u.p. #*$&@ soon as the snow flies. I really hope this shock is the answer....!

Back