• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front end Mod - Results

RSD said:
Isn't it all the play (slop) in the front end that's causing most of the problems? or have you guys fixed that?

I had new lower balljoints installed last week to get rid of some of it. Uppers weren't too bad, but did have some play. Next is oilite bushings for both a-arms. should be good n tight after that.

yamaha did come out with the update but it wasn't OFFICIAL.

sounds like you're getting a handle on that thing BB, good thing you have more patience than I do, hope we meet up some day, I'd like to try it out.

BLUEBALLER said:
A BIG thank you to IKE for giving me the heads up to this MOD!! :Rockon:

Anyone else see the same results??

You´re welcome!

Hey this is what this forum is all about.

Ike

front Geo

Hey were are you guys getting the oilite bushings or are you machining them your self????
:jump:

This might sound dumb, but cant you shim the lowers out 2.5mm?
I havent noticed that shimmy at that speed, but usually I'm either faster than that, or slower than that. Most of my miles are on the trails in Munising, but I din't notice much after flipping and shimming the rubbers. Would it be worth it to wait and see what the '09 update will be?

nate007 said:
I havent noticed that shimmy at that speed, but usually I'm either faster than that, or slower than that. Most of my miles are on the trails in Munising, but I din't notice much after flipping and shimming the rubbers. Would it be worth it to wait and see what the '09 update will be?

The lowers are fixed/non-adjustable. I assume the spherical ball joint is held in with a c-clip or something.

Crewchief47 said:
nate007 said:

The lowers are fixed/non-adjustable. I assume the spherical ball joint is held in with a c-clip or something.

Yes, pressed into the a-arm and held in with a c-clip.

When I was there, the service tech. asked another if it mattered which way he put it in, and the guy said no, just pop it in there.

BLUEBALLER said:
Crewchief47 said:
nate007 said:

Yes, pressed into the a-arm and held in with a c-clip.

When I was there, the service tech. asked another if it mattered which way he put it in, and the guy said no, just pop it in there.

well thats a mistake IMO....the ball joint is teflon lined on one side, I'm sure it has a certain side up/down etc...?

I did works fantastic, see my respone in the topic.

I just got back from riding with 2.5mm ball joint mod and the floats revalved air psi 80, the front end is close to perfect works very good on all trail conditions at all speeds. Over 2000 miles I never felt safe at high speeds on small studders the front would bounce all over the trail making it a hand full to ride. The front end is working like it should. It's better then my Rev-X. -happy at last-

Over 1000 miles with this mod and I can't say thank you enough times.
I went from hating the damn handling in the corners to loving it. Almost perfect IMO. once the slop is eliminated in the front end, I will be one happy cowboy.

Inside ski lift is almost eliminated and the sled actually RAILS around corners, even on hardpacked groomed trails. Gone is the twitchy, quirky handling in the corners and through the whoops. Way more predictable and actually quite fun to ride hard!

To those debating doing this. DO IT!!! if you don't like it, buy some new upper balljoints as they're probably all slopped out anyways. If my uppers are replaced on warranty(which they probably will be), the first thing I'll be doing is this mod again. It worked that good.

There is a reason why Yamaha made 11 modifications to the 09 front ends. Because the handling was not up to par on the 08's. I would be willing to bet this mod was one of them.

It took over 3000 kms to finally figure out how to make the sled perform as it should have from the factory, but I'm happy now.

thanks again Ike and Yamaha Finland

:rocks:

Back