• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front End nose dive on 2009 XTX

I worry about the re-valving to a stiffer compression, mine is very chattery over small trail chop,yet will bottom easily. Even with the compression and spring set a soft . It bottoms alot less with the compression on 5ish, but is worse on the chatter bumps.
My Viper S Ohlins were the same way untill I had the high speed compression softend. Now it takes the chatter bumps better and am able to control the bottoming with a stiffer spring setting.
Not sure what direction I am going with my XTX yet.

It may help to tighten up the rebound. Why would I say that? Well I had loosened the rebound way up on the Mono shock Ohlin and it caused a bottoming on compression. My dealer, Fix powersports, states that open rebound passages also affect compression So may be a similar issue.

Yamadoo

Yamadoo,

Makes sense about the rebound adjustment, on most applications there is some overlap.

The first time I rode it the comp and rebound were full stiff, and the front bottomed even at lower speeds in the bumps. With the compression on full stiff and zero rebound its 50% better. I also found that keeping the front limiter strap full loose, full preload on middle spring, the transfer rods backed off all the way and almost zero front spring preload has made the sled much more controllable in the fast throttle on terrain, actually its very fast and comfortable to ride. The stock front springs and valving are just too soft for my liking.

mj

Rebound adjustments on Ohlins shocks will affect rebound 90% and compression 10%. That's not enough to cause anything more than a very fine readjustment of compression to compensate for rebound changes. It's all in the book.

http://www.ohlins.com/Portals/0/documen ... 30-02A.pdf

Full preload on the center shock will make the fulcrum effect worse both by having too much pressure on the front of the skid and by increasing an already too fast rebound rate at the center shock position. Read the Ohlins set-up instructions. 4 points in balance. It works.

mjaremko
When I'm out on icy conditions off trail. Especially on crusty snow when I'm breaking through. I find my XTX wants to dip on one side or the other. This twitchy tendancy is excentuated with agressive carbides. It's like tracking on a frozen trail but much worse. I found on any groomed trail frozen or snowy I could drive hard all day. The off trail manners of the sled were not good unless you were on soft snow. It felt like the front end wanted to dip one way or the other sometimes.

Stewart,
Keeping the front shock (skid) preload cranked up and the transfer rods loose keeps pressure off the skis while your accelerating, No book needed, just 40+ years of riding and tuning.

Its a bit odd that the XTX has this issue, I'm installing stiffer front valving and springs for next season, maybe the new Fox airshock, need to do more shock and spring research.

Back