• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front shock spring

Carla 123

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 viper xtx boosted
17 zr9000 precision stage 3
Is there an artic cat spring that is better than the stock front shock spring on my ltx.reason I ask as I have a dealer close to me.steering is very hard.

Not sure if the AC has the same weak front shock as the Viper/Sidewinder but check out Stingray mods in the recent posts. They have a front shock on sale that is a proven improvement over stock.

Not sure if the AC has the same weak front shock as the Viper/Sidewinder but check out Stingray mods in the recent posts. They have a front shock on sale that is a proven improvement over stock.
I have but being from Canada with exchange and shipping.almost double the price.but hey thanks

I put the arctic cat 160 lb spring on my xtx and found it a lot better. part # is 2704-229.

Is there an artic cat spring that is better than the stock front shock spring on my ltx.reason I ask as I have a dealer close to me.steering is very hard.
I would highly reccomend the Stingray spring Bill Mohr sells. Like 65$ or something like that, makes the sled handle 100 times better. Answers all your questions as well. Best mod I did to my Viper thus far.

Thanks going to get it 70 cad

I tried that spring on my ltx and found it to be extremely stiff for any type of leisurely trail riding. Just keep in mind that that particular spring is a 160/260# rate vs stock 135#..so not only a stiffer starting rate but much stiffer once compressed. For extremely aggressive riding I can see where some folks may like it, but for my liking it was all around just too stiff..and truthfully The difference in steering effort was minimal at best.

I tried that spring on my ltx and found it to be extremely stiff for any type of leisurely trail riding. Just keep in mind that that particular spring is a 160/260# rate vs stock 135#..so not only a stiffer starting rate but much stiffer once compressed. For extremely aggressive riding I can see where some folks may like it, but for my liking it was all around just too stiff..and truthfully The difference in steering effort was minimal at best.
Thanks for the first hand experience. Guess I wont be buying a front spring if they are that stiff.steering is very stiff so do I tighten on loosen front shock spring?

Thanks for the first hand experience. Guess I wont be buying a front spring if they are that stiff.steering is very stiff so do I tighten on loosen front shock spring?

I think the sleds can benefit from a stiffer spring, but that one is just very stiff. Strangely enough I also tried that spring in my 129” cat 800 and it worked well in that. I ended up settling on the stingray spring in that sled tho since it gave a better balance on ride quality and comfort. If you’re looking to experiment with what you have then tighten up the stock spring, that will take some weight off the skis. Also depending on miles on the sled that stock spring will sack out over time. In 5500 miles I’ve used 2 springs in my ltx and am due for a new one. Can almost tell they get to a point where they just lose their spring and then it affects the whole handling of the sled..steering effort being one of those things.

I think the sleds can benefit from a stiffer spring, but that one is just very stiff. Strangely enough I also tried that spring in my 129” cat 800 and it worked well in that. I ended up settling on the stingray spring in that sled tho since it gave a better balance on ride quality and comfort. If you’re looking to experiment with what you have then tighten up the stock spring, that will take some weight off the skis. Also depending on miles on the sled that stock spring will sack out over time. In 5500 miles I’ve used 2 springs in my ltx and am due for a new one. Can almost tell they get to a point where they just lose their spring and then it affects the whole handling of the sled..steering effort being one of those things.
Don’t forget your shock had been revalved by Monster before you tried either spring. That has a big effect on stiffness. If the Stingray spring isn’t available try the Cat spring. It’s inexpensive and worked well for me but not as well as Stingray spring.

What are you running for a shock on the skies?

I have a Stingray spring in my 137" skid and I live in Canada. I don't remember what I payed, but it helped the front end so much I dont care. I installed it, as per directions, and never touched it again. Totally worth the money, great mod.

Last edited:

I would agree. i bought and tried the stingray springs in both our sidewinders and then over to our new ZR7000's. There are pros and cons to everything and each person will have a different preference and riding style but for my personal riding style, I will be going back to the lighter spring this year. It wasn't so much the steering effort reduction i was after as the stock spring wasn't too bad for my setups but more for bottoming out resistance and I will correct that with valving. The side effect with with spring is teeter effect. The spring is stiff and it causes the sled to teeter on the center shock which causes a noticeable on power under steer issue. Even with the spring let out all the way until it barely holds the retainer in place, it still has an on power push and with my style of trail riding, I hate on power push as I ride it like my motorcycles. I come in hard, let the engine do the breaking and then smooth on power through and exiting the corners and when I am mid corner and have to let off to get the skis to settle down to track and correct the push, thats annoying to me. Yes i lose a little bit of transfer but I'm not drag racing nor am i trying to accelerate out of the corners from a dig all the time like a lot of riders do and tear up the trails so transfer isn't that important to me. Holding my line and having very predictable cornering is. I ride fairly spirited so having a consistently planted front end is my utmost importance. I will sacrifice some transfer for solid tracking. I don't spin much anyway because i don't blast the handle, I roll into the power and keep momentum and the 1.5' storm 150 track with 192 1.75" studs hook up just fine without needing alot of transfer. Another side effect with this spring is the increased rebound. With it being so stiff when compressed, the shock springs back into full extension like a pogo stick so the rear end has a tendency to want to nose dive into bigger holes due to the increased rebound speed. I'm sure you could combat that with changes to the rebound in the valving but I would still have the push so I'm not going to do that.

Most people like this spring and i can see why. i would love this spring in the hills to keep the front end up and make the front end more responsive in the powder if not using the air shocks. I can also see liking this if you don't depend on on power tracking like i do and want that lighter steering feel and big bump compliance and of course if you like more transfer to drag race your buddies in a field somewhere or if you like to act cool and tape it out of every corner and make 4" ruts exiting the corners with the skis in the air lol.

I would agree. i bought and tried the stingray springs in both our sidewinders and then over to our new ZR7000's. There are pros and cons to everything and each person will have a different preference and riding style but for my personal riding style, I will be going back to the lighter spring this year. It wasn't so much the steering effort reduction i was after as the stock spring wasn't too bad for my setups but more for bottoming out resistance and I will correct that with valving. The side effect with with spring is teeter effect. The spring is stiff and it causes the sled to teeter on the center shock which causes a noticeable on power under steer issue. Even with the spring let out all the way until it barely holds the retainer in place, it still has an on power push and with my style of trail riding, I hate on power push as I ride it like my motorcycles. I come in hard, let the engine do the breaking and then smooth on power through and exiting the corners and when I am mid corner and have to let off to get the skis to settle down to track and correct the push, thats annoying to me. Yes i lose a little bit of transfer but I'm not drag racing nor am i trying to accelerate out of the corners from a dig all the time like a lot of riders do and tear up the trails so transfer isn't that important to me. Holding my line and having very predictable cornering is. I ride fairly spirited so having a consistently planted front end is my utmost importance. I will sacrifice some transfer for solid tracking. I don't spin much anyway because i don't blast the handle, I roll into the power and keep momentum and the 1.5' storm 150 track with 192 1.75" studs hook up just fine without needing alot of transfer. Another side effect with this spring is the increased rebound. With it being so stiff when compressed, the shock springs back into full extension like a pogo stick so the rear end has a tendency to want to nose dive into bigger holes due to the increased rebound speed. I'm sure you could combat that with changes to the rebound in the valving but I would still have the push so I'm not going to do that.

Most people like this spring and i can see why. i would love this spring in the hills to keep the front end up and make the front end more responsive in the powder if not using the air shocks. I can also see liking this if you don't depend on on power tracking like i do and want that lighter steering feel and big bump compliance and of course if you like more transfer to drag race your buddies in a field somewhere or if you like to act cool and tape it out of every corner and make 4" ruts exiting the corners with the skis in the air lol.
Yes for front end planted style of riding that spring or even a cranked up stock spring isn’t going to work especially if skis are prone to pushing also. For me I hate a planted front end unless I want it planted and all that takes is tapping the brake and getting forward and in. Run into way too much trail junk on Sat afternoons to have a heavy front end. But I get you. There is a reason they made the 137” like they did.

With this spring and the limiter strap in the third hole I am able to drive power on thru corners with a 1.75 track and SLP Mohawk skis.
Get forward on the seat and stick your inside knee towards the spindle and she lays flat thru the corners also. Enjoy!

Back