• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel Pump going out?

FrozenTows4

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sold
2017 ZR6000RS
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre
YOUTUBE
FrozenTows1
2014 XF7000
Encountered a new bad sound, which appears to be coming from the fuel pump area, yesterday.
Sound happens went turning off the key. Here's a short video.

Is the fuel pump on the way out? Would like to get this solved before putting away for the season.
Yesterday was the first that I heard this ever.
Sled starts and runs great. Battery is always on a tender.

2014 XF7000
Encountered a new bad sound, which appears to be coming from the fuel pump area, yesterday.
Sound happens went turning off the key. Here's a short video.

Is the fuel pump on the way out? Would like to get this solved before putting away for the season.
Yesterday was the first that I heard this ever.
Sled starts and runs great. Battery is always on a tender.
Holy cow! Could be the relay. Is noise at the pump or by fuse box? Would be interesting to see what Diagnostic has for FuelPump Ohms.

Holy cow! Could be the relay. Is noise at the pump or by fuse box? Would be interesting to see what Diagnostic has for FuelPump Ohms.
It appears to be coming from the fuel pump. I'll dig in more tomorrow after work.
I have a couple spare fuel pump relays. I'll swap it out to see if it makes a difference.
I should know this, but how do I check the diagnostic for fuel pump ohms?

I believe that's your reverse trying to reset when you turn the key off. Sounds exactly like mine does. Try pulling the reverse motor off of the chaincase housing and re clocking it.

I believe that's your reverse trying to reset when you turn the key off. Sounds exactly like mine does. Try pulling the reverse motor off of the chaincase housing and re clocking it.
You may have nailed it. It is the reverse actuator that's making the plastic grinding sound. By re clocking you mean moving the big gear to a fresh new position so the worm gear has a fresh place to bite, right?

With the engine on, the sled will go into reverse and forward fine. Just tested and everything spins fine both directions. Shut it down and the plastic gears grind. 1500 perfect miles this season. Now this. Will keep everyone posted.

Could also be the magnet for sensor is dirty and not signaling it's in gear already.
Now that makes sense as to why it only grinds at shut down.
If it doesn't grind, with the sensor disconnected, we've found the smoking gun. I'll re clock the gear, to have a fresh spot, anyway.
Chain case will be coming apart, in the up coming weeks, for full service. Case has never been apart in 3200 miles. Oil was siphon changed last spring, but still looks dirty through the sight glass. Time for a good scrubbing. Thanks.

Well, we finally found the smoking gun! I'm surprised more Viper owners have not encountered this.
If you do, here's what to do................

With the help of ArcticChat member DVW, we have this figured out.
Remember this?

Sounds was coming from the reverse actuator. Cover was removed from the reverse actuator.

001%20Shift%20Actuator_zpsz9grbsfa.jpg

It just pops of. Easier that a peanut butter jar.

002%20LId%20Off_zpsetgsi2bz.jpg

Here's the culprit in question.

004%20Nylon%20Gear_zps9j8dbmzl.jpg

Stripped nylon actuating gear.

Now to re-clock the nylon gear. Pretty straight forward actually.

005%20Gear%20Clip_zpsthso3za2.jpg

006%20Stripped%20Gear_zps8f7ptkxf.jpg

007%20Actuator%20parts_zpsj4auk7ln.jpg

008%20ReAssembled_zpszzu4nu6f.jpg

Now that the gear is clocked to a fresh set of gears, re-install as you normally would.

010%20Actuator%20Fixed_zpsqnzvzaqa.jpg

Should be good to go once the snow flies again.

Small edit here.....................................

The most correct answer would be to re-clock the gear like this.

008b%20Stripped%20Gear%20Placement_zpso81kh2ek.jpg

Clocking in 180 degrees, like I did, will work. But it brings the stripped portion dangerously close to the worm gear while in reverse mode.

Here's the operating range of the actuator.

008a%20Working%20Portion%20of%20Gear_zpsu5mwb69k.jpg

And a video of the actuator in operation. Note, sled was deliberately shut off, while in reverse, to demostrate the forward gear default.

You can see that clocking it, a little further than I previously did, would be the safest, longer lasting solution.
I'll make a FAQ post, per Cannondale, so this information will be easier to find.

Last edited:
I neglected to take videos of the actuator operating. I will next winter. Simple enough to remove the cover.
The gear only rotates about 170 degrees.

Last edited:
Put this in FAQ. Could save a trip for someone especially if it strips while in reverse and could be done with tools in the tool kit. Thanks FrozenTows!

Wow what a great write up and pics now we all can figure out what was wrong and how to fix it. THANKS Why we love TY!!!!!

Does the gear rotate around our just stay in the same area going back and forth?

Back