• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel pump or something else

Also , possibly stator .
could a stator work when cold, then open up when hot, causing the no start condition when I warm it up and shut off ?

stator, not sure how I check ??

One way to verify if it's not getting spark or fuel is to spray some starting fluid or gas into the throttle. If it starts, it's a fuel issue. If it doesn't, it's likely ignition or electrical.

One way to verify if it's not getting spark or fuel is to spray some starting fluid or gas into the throttle. If it starts, it's a fuel issue. If it doesn't, it's likely ignition or electrical.
Since it starts ok when cold, this to me points to something thermal related.
since the fuel pump is in the tank, I wouldn’t think that.
but I’m leaning towards possibly the stator.
thinking when it’s cold, it’s fine, runs fine as long as temp stays within reason, but upon shutdown, it gets heat soaked and the stator opens up, thereby not firing, but I’m not sure how to check stator ?

Could the crankshaft position sensor be the culprit ?
where is it plugged in to check the resistance ?
It could be. That how they act when that starts to go. But it’s usually on an Apex that they go out on. You need to check for a spark when it don’t want to fire.
Since it starts ok when cold, this to me points to something thermal related.
since the fuel pump is in the tank, I wouldn’t think that.
but I’m leaning towards possibly the stator.
thinking when it’s cold, it’s fine, runs fine as long as temp stays within reason, but upon shutdown, it gets heat soaked and the stator opens up, thereby not firing, but I’m not sure how to check stator ?

If the stator is not working there usually is a code being thrown. You need to pull plug and check for spark. If it has fuel and spark it will fire.

Yea, I checked for a stored code, none, but then again it cant store a code I guess if it isn’t running, and when it is running, it thinks it’s good, because there are no problems till it gets heat soaked .
I can pull a plug and ground it against the engine, and turn it over.
I wasn’t sure if you could do that with these engines and not mess anything up ?
isn’t there a way to check the stator , I think there is a place it plugs into the harness somewhere, I would think somehow you could check the resistance, I’m not sure what I should see or what pins to check it on.

Agreed. Confirm first if the spark or fuel drops out when warm. It could also be a sketchy connection to the injectors. A bad ground to them could do that when the engine is warm and stuff expands.

Agreed. Confirm first if the spark or fuel drops out when warm. It could also be a sketchy connection to the injectors. A bad ground to them could do that when the engine is warm and stuff expands.
Does it hurt to run the diag mode on the injectors with the fuel pump hooked up and the engine hot ?
wasn’t sure if I could do that because it will inject fuel into the hot cylinders when you test them in diag mode ?

Check compression. I just went through something similar with a friends Phazer.

Just read through this post and was leaning toward crank sensor. I had a Harley a few years ago that would idle and run fine at speed when cold but when warm it struggled. You can test a failing sensor with a meter but in a situation like this I run cold water over it to see if that makes a difference.

Back