• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FX Nytro windshield options - Want higher with decent looks

08NitroRTX said:
Here are our sleds with the high windshields and side deflectors.

nytro23 is over 6' and he needs a little bit taller one. I'm 5'6" and the tall one is just right for me!

11-07026.jpg

11-07027.jpg

question...how well does the high windshield with deflectors work at staying warm>? keeping hands warmer>? do the handguards hit at all>?

Just wanted to throw my 2cents in. I wanted to have my cake and eat it to. On my XTX i bought the low white painted shield and then cut and attached the original smoked shield to the inside of the low white one. I used to love the shields on the old school first edition phazers. I loved the shape of the old shield and the flip they had that changed the flow of the air around you. And with this mounting it changes the angle of the orignal xtx shield and creates a flip of the shield to create a pocket of air around the rider. Motorcycle shield often have a flip to do the same thing. The cool thing is that it looks bad a;; and not only gives me a narrow higher shield but the flip in it makes a huge difference. With side shields I have never gotten cold and rode in -32 weather. I drilled holes in the orignal and mounted it with polished Stainless steel bolts and acorn nuts. I am going to get SS spike nuts for this year.

XTX622Kane said:
Just wanted to throw my 2cents in. I wanted to have my cake and eat it to. On my XTX i bought the low white painted shield and then cut and attached the original smoked shield to the inside of the low white one. I used to love the shields on the old school first edition phazers. I loved the shape of the old shield and the flip they had that changed the flow of the air around you. And with this mounting it changes the angle of the orignal xtx shield and creates a flip of the shield to create a pocket of air around the rider. Motorcycle shield often have a flip to do the same thing. The cool thing is that it looks bad a;; and not only gives me a narrow higher shield but the flip in it makes a huge difference. With side shields I have never gotten cold and rode in -32 weather. I drilled holes in the orignal and mounted it with polished Stainless steel bolts and acorn nuts. I am going to get SS spike nuts for this year.

:worth:

thanks daranello... looks good..what about body warmth?
help out the hand heaters at all?
..think your top end would have been greater yet with the tall shield?

I have all 3 shields, stock (low) medium and high. Just get the high one and be done with it, it's only a couple inches higher than the mid- height and it gives some protection when it's really cold. I bought the mid height thinking the tall one would look goofy, but the difference is so slight that you hardly notice, but it sure is a LOT warmer.

The Nytro is a pretty cold sled to start with, some extra protection sure doesn't hurt.

Easy Rider said:
I have all 3 shields, stock (low) medium and high. Just get the high one and be done with it, it's only a couple inches higher than the mid- height and it gives some protection when it's really cold. I bought the mid height thinking the tall one would look goofy, but the difference is so slight that you hardly notice, but it sure is a LOT warmer.

The Nytro is a pretty cold sled to start with, some extra protection sure doesn't hurt.

i'll take your medium then lol

Part numbers? where to buy windshields and wind deflectors

hey hey guys!

Just bought a '09 RTX and have not taken delivery of it yet ... Any one have any part numbers or online ordering sources for these windshields? and deflectors?

I'm in Canada that would be ideal but will go state side if I have to ?

Figured I'd buy it so I have it when I get the the sled?

Ryan

Re: Part numbers? where to buy windshields and wind deflecto

rmwilsonysr said:
hey hey guys!

Just bought a '09 RTX and have not taken delivery of it yet ... Any one have any part numbers or online ordering sources for these windshields? and deflectors?

I'm in Canada that would be ideal but will go state side if I have to ?

Figured I'd buy it so I have it when I get the the sled?

Ryan

Goto the accessories section on Yamaha Canada's website and follow the links for your particular sled model...many items there. Take down the part numbers and order it from your local Dealer.

Bagadonitz... That painting that mid shield looks pretty sharp!
Did you take the trim off the outside of the windshield before you painted it?
Were the side deflectors clear beforehand as well?

Straight_up_XTX said:
Bagadonitz... That painting that mid shield looks pretty sharp!
Did you take the trim off the outside of the windshield before you painted it?

I didnt' take the trim off. It is a nice durable trim and glued on good and I didn't want to risk tearing it up and then having to put it back on. I taped it best I could and then cleaned up the little that snuck under with a dab of gas on a paper towel. I also taped off where it attaches to the shroud as it would only rub the paint off there anyways.

4107314367_d4df7aea95_b.jpg

Straight_up_XTX said:
Were the side deflectors clear beforehand as well?

Yes these were clear as well and were also painted at the same time.

stock said:
What kind of skis are they ? Very retro looking.

They are 2x4 Spruce skis. The work pretty good on the trail but tend to push a little in the corners. I'm going to rib the tongue and a little extra off a piece of hardwood and brad it to the bottom of them to get a little more bite.

For off trail I have a matching set made from 2x10 to get the extra flotation.

The next set I make is going to be all maple or birch as the spruce is just too soft and gets torn up too easily crossing roads and what not. You don't want to go too hard tough cause then you risk them splitting.

Splinters are a PITA when you have to give them a tug when stuck.

Does anyone know where I can get blue or white stain?

Back