• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

FYI, it's all in the owners manual!

Yamacat21

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Not trying to sound like an A.H. But most of the simple questions being asked lately are all in the owners manual. This is a great source for information but let's use some common sense and look for ourselves first. Moderators feel free to delete this if you would like.

Yamacat21 said:
Not trying to sound like an A.H. But most of the simple questions being asked lately are all in the owners manual. This is a great source for information but let's use some common sense and look for ourselves first. Moderators feel free to delete this if you would like.

X2!

what's the big deal if someone asks a dumb question that's covered in the manual? Wasting bandwidth? That being the case, why not ask that all the off topic threads be deleted.

Maybe some of us keep our manual in a sealed bag inside the sled that is now parked elsewhere? Maybe some of us didn't get one, or lost it...

Maybe some of us are just flat out lazy. Fine. I'm good with that too. I for one will respond to anyone asking a question that I have an educated answer for be it in the manual or otherwise and could care less why he's asking. Who am I to judge. Just helping a brother out is how I see it. Either that or I simply skim over it without giving it a second of my life's consideration. Same with grammar police. I don't get it.

I guess I look at life differently than some.

I think this whole yamacat thing has made us far to too sensitive, especially you viper guys lol! Have a good weekend everyone, get out and ride safe!

pooner said:
Where's the capacity of oil in there? Not to sound like an A.H?

X2 That manual has hardly any crutual info - at oil change I poured 3 qts out of the gallon JUG in and started it to fill motor & filter nothing showing on the glass put another 1/2 pt in and the oil is over the top of the glass :o|

Not too mention the directions say to put funnel under drain hole and through hole in running board and then you cannot get your wrench into remove the plug cause the O ring styed into the tank and would not allow to turn by hand then all the oil went into the belly pan 1 qt went into the funnel and catch bottle :o|

so does viper take 3 qts then?? I was wondering this one myself. First owners manual ever that i didnt see a oil capacity?? whats up with that??

yami1 said:
so does viper take 3 qts then?? I was wondering this one myself. First owners manual ever that i didnt see a oil capacity?? whats up with that??

Well it definitely takes less than 3.5 quarts - I left the extra in - in case of roll over I will have enough :Rockon:

Grimm said:
Yamacat21 said:

X2!

This is the point of TY if you ask we will help even if it is in bold in the owner manual And you don't know what you don't know. Any question will get feed back this is great for the guys that buy these sled used in a few year and don't have the book they can jump on TY and get it here. When they come here they see are advertisements buy stuff from them which help keep this a free site.

:rocks: :-o

I didn't get a manual with mine. My dealer lost it and had to order me another one:)

pooner said:
Where's the capacity of oil in there? Not to sound like an A.H?
They don't tell you because there is a procedure for putting the proper amount in. If they said put three quarts in most people wouldn't read any further and just dump it in the tank and start it up. Probably doing major damage to the engine. Half way up the sight glass is the proper amount. I don't really think its necessary to list a specific amount as long as enough comes with the kit.

Well gosh I guess all of my rx and apex manuals were wrong for having it listed!!!

I poured slowly and tried to pour and watch the glass it really is a joke "how many Yamaha riders does it take to add oil" 3 one to pour, 1 to watch the glass and 1 to read the manual with magnifying glass. And I still ended up with the glass completely covered.

I also tried what the manual said about kill switch on position and turn key to light gauges when the tank was empty an I got no low oil warning light. That only came on when I started the sled even though I tried it several times empty and 2 times prior to oil being near bottom of glass.

Any question gets answered here. No worries. On all dry sump engines I add about half stated capacity (4.1qts) to the reservoir,start the engine,shut off the engine,let it sit and fill to full mark. A bit above wont hurt anything.

I have a 5qt pitcher and when done draining I dump all old oil into it, read amount taken out, then add that amount. I also double checked window after warm up and was approx. 3/4 up the window. That should have been fine but I put a tad more to be safe.

Back