• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GoPro video of Viper ride

Murse said:
the trails I ride around here I get to 160-170 km/h with my Apex never really topped it out on trails not enough room. I was told that the Viper will run side by side with an Apex until 160km/h then Apex will pull away on top. This makes me think twice, either i get a traded in low mileage Apex SE or order a Viper XTX and put some money into it like clutching and such. I love my Apex and I love the motor and pull but it sucks in the rough stuff and 3 times this year on big rides I've run into beat up trails and hated it. This Viper looks very interesting I think new Viper with extended warranty is the way to go. I'll know more in 2 weeks when I go to a dealer show and sit on both Machines and ask questions. How is the Nytro for speed? The motor alright or is it a big step down from the Apex?

You know what...this is an age od argument. I used to buy 600 class sleds and hang onto the thought tat it would "hang right with the 800 until "blah, blah, blah" mph. Don't try and pull the wool over on your own eyes here....the apex motor is a significant step up from the Nytro. Just like the 800cc 2smokes are a huge step up from the 600's. This doesn't mean that the Nytro is a slouch! Its just not up to par with the big boys.

If there is one true statement in motorsports that holds true in any form....it is "there is no replacement for displacement."

Bad Quote to use here me thinks.

1200 cc Doo 130 ish HP

1100 cc Cat 125 ish HP

1049 cc Nytro 135 ish HP

997 CC Apex , 153 ish HP

Seems the less displacement the more HP in our situation.

:yam:

Well, "no replacement for displacement" is obviously only true if all of the engines compared are of similar technological level and similar state of tune. This is certainly not the case with the four stroke snowmobile engines. Comparing the two cylinder Arctic Cat industry / tractor engine to the four cylinder superbike spec Apex is just not fair.

Alatalo said:
Well, "no replacement for displacement" is obviously only true if all of the engines compared are of similar technological level and similar state of tune. This is certainly not the case with the four stroke snowmobile engines. Comparing the two cylinder Arctic Cat industry / tractor engine to the four cylinder superbike spec Apex is just not fair.
;)!

ccrider said:
Murse said:
the trails I ride around here I get to 160-170 km/h with my Apex never really topped it out on trails not enough room. I was told that the Viper will run side by side with an Apex until 160km/h then Apex will pull away on top. This makes me think twice, either i get a traded in low mileage Apex SE or order a Viper XTX and put some money into it like clutching and such. I love my Apex and I love the motor and pull but it sucks in the rough stuff and 3 times this year on big rides I've run into beat up trails and hated it. This Viper looks very interesting I think new Viper with extended warranty is the way to go. I'll know more in 2 weeks when I go to a dealer show and sit on both Machines and ask questions. How is the Nytro for speed? The motor alright or is it a big step down from the Apex?

You know what...this is an age od argument. I used to buy 600 class sleds and hang onto the thought tat it would "hang right with the 800 until "blah, blah, blah" mph. Don't try and pull the wool over on your own eyes here....the apex motor is a significant step up from the Nytro. Just like the 800cc 2smokes are a huge step up from the 600's. This doesn't mean that the Nytro is a slouch! Its just not up to par with the big boys.

If there is one true statement in motorsports that holds true in any form....it is "there is no replacement for displacement."

Thanks I think lol

87gtNOS said:
yzm450 said:
.... Yamaha guys said they were still working on mapping

I call BS on this....Yamaha guys don't know sh1t from shinola.

Working on Mapping??!! These are as good as it gets. You really think it takes months to get it right??!! Should take an hour.

:die Yamaha DEMO guys.

x2... There is no magic, there unless they are planning to keep tweaking the exhaust before production starts, which would be in June, I would think.

SledFreak said:
87gtNOS said:
yzm450 said:

Working on Mapping??!! These are as good as it gets. You really think it takes months to get it right??!! Should take an hour.

x2... There is no magic, there unless they are planning to keep tweaking the exhaust before production starts, which would be in June, I would think.
I have to strongly disagree. Did you guys not read about the one machine wouldn't even stay running and would stall. Come on even Arctic won't send a machine out like that. Of course they are still working on mapping I have seen videos of Polaris running a test sled all summer long on a sawdust track tuning and tweaking things. It will be ready for prime time!!

87gtNOS said:
yzm450 said:

You realize that the mapping has to be done for every RPM at every possible throttle position, right? That's a lot of variations. The mapping at 4k rpm's is very different at WOT, 3/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, etc.

They have been working on this sled since last year. Are you kidding me here? Yamaha has never had to come out and say they are still working on the mapping. The oem's just plug their laptops in and can monitor all of the settings and make changes from there. Don't fool yourself here. It does not takes months or years. This sled has been ripping around for a while...

Bpatch50 said:
87gtNOS said:
yzm450 said:

You realize that the mapping has to be done for every RPM at every possible throttle position, right? That's a lot of variations. The mapping at 4k rpm's is very different at WOT, 3/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, etc.

If they're using their own FI don't you think they'd have a pretty good idea based on the Nytro? Don't give me the different pipe BS...that's a minor change that they should be able to deal with quickly. I think they might be using Cat EFI? Maybe it's the Vector engine?

I also test rode the 129" and 144" at Waldoch Sports and I agree with you that the 144" ran better and hooked up much better. However I couldn't disagree with you more on the sound. It sounded (and performed) like I would imagine my Apex sounding (and performing) with one spark plug disconnected! They are awesome handling sleds but way under powered IMO.

They also told me that the clutching and fuel calibrations were still being worked on. I also call BS on that. Come on, Yamaha can not figure these things out before letting the public test drive them? To me that shows a serious lack of R&D ability and poor marketing skills! How long have they had to get this right? If they couldn't get it right in the year or more prior to this what makes you think that they will get it right before production starts in a few short months?
depends, how long did it take polaris to figure a simple crank? :dunno:

Murse, I have run my apex and my brothers 2013 venture gt back to back weekend. Now granted the venture has less agressive clutching than the apex but the 3 holer does not have the snap to pass the 4 holer does at higher trail speeds.

I love how the viper chassis handles and feels but I just know that I would miss the Smooth snappy power of the 4 holer. I cannot have a 3 holer as they have a vibration that affects my carpel tunnel on my right hand at my trail speed. The 4 holer does not.

Murse, I have run my apex and my brothers 2013 venture gt back to back weekend. Now granted the venture has less agressive clutching than the apex but the 3 holer does not have the snap to pass the 4 holer does at higher trail speeds.

I love how the viper chassis handles and feels but I just know that I would miss the Smooth snappy power of the 4 holer. I cannot have a 3 holer as they have a vibration that affects my carpel tunnel on my right hand at my trail speed. The 4 holer does not.

Put a turbo on it and it will stretch those tendons :die

Put a turbo on it and it will stretch those tendons :die

true it would but other than the lakes around here (damn ice hut roads) I really have no room to use a turbo in my normal riding. there are spots but that is usually where the cops/wardens sit with the radar guns. damn 50kph speed limit.

"Luke - come to the dark side" Thats why you have to road trip to the Yooper!!! no speed limit let alone 50 mph :Rockon:

And I also have to say 0 to 50 is still incredible !!

Back