• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Grooves in Primary

Blue Me

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
In between the primary walls there seems to be some grooves down at the bottom where the belt runs. Are these for traction on gripping the belt or are they worn in? I used some acetone to get the old belt gum out of it but was wondering how bad these should be? COuld they ever time wear through or what?

That is natural from the 8dn super hard belt wearing out the clutch faces. That belt lasts forever but wearing the clutch faces at engagement is one downfall.

I actually had the Primary on my '03 replaced because it had such a deep groove in it. I had the extended warranty so I figured I might as well use it. They never even questioned it..

I don't understand the groove thing, how about that guy in New Hampahire who puts on about 10,000 miles a year, he never mentioned any grooves. How many miles befor the grooves happen?

Shoot I only got around 2700 and I see soem wear in there. Clean out the rubber build up and take a look. Are they even supposed to be there??
I have no idea but would definitely think not!!

I had a clutch arrive from a dealer in Pennsylvania last week for overdrive machining. This was froma 2005 RX1 with nothing but running time on a stand on it. When I cleaned the rubber off the faces, I noticed a pretty decent groove on the moveable face of the clutch. These are absolutely, positively not supposed to be there! I suspect in this case that something hard/ sharp was between the belt and the face of the clutch on the initial startup. This groove will not impair the operation of the clutch as I sanded the face very slightly simply to remove the sharp edge that whatever was in there produced.

Freddie would you recommend getting new faceplates? Also if you seen my post FIRE!!! you wouldn't happen to have a couple of used PreFilter laying around would ya? Mine kinda melted!! :ORC

yamabluerx1 said:
Freddie would you recommend getting new faceplates? Also if you seen my post FIRE!!! you wouldn't happen to have a couple of used PreFilter laying around would ya? Mine kinda melted!! :ORC

My puter at the shop has been down until late yesterday afternoon. I did get a quick look at the post about the fire. I think you everheated the wiring to the starter and solenoid due to the massive amps created while spinning the engine over and over when it doesn't start. Put some fuel shut off valves inline for trailering and your problem will go away.

Regarding the clutch...if you want to e-mail some pictures of the groove (clean the rubber of first) I will comment on wether you should worry about them or not.
E-mail - KliesECP@aol.com

Freddie

Even with only a little under a quarter? That is surprising since I've never had that problem before. As for the overcranking this happened after a couple of hours. Pics as soon as I get her back from the dealer!!

Back