• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone blown the 3 amp fuse with electric shield?

opie said:
So the yamaha plug I bought for an e-shield is worthless.

I used the DC outlet with the gps on the same line with one of those 1 to 2 Cig Outlets and didn't blow a fuse.

I used the YAMI adapter solo for about 300 mi. and didn't have one problem.

But it didn't get rain,lot's of snow on it.

I took off the cover and spliced into the wires to the DC Outlet so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the rain,etc.

I may replace the fuse with one of 5 amps like some said to be sure..

Does this happen only when you plug into the cig lighter plug. I spliced it in under the cover and doesn't blow fuses. I only have about 5 or 6 rides on it that way but no problem yet.

One other thing, ... when using a heated shield via the accessory socket, as the undersized wire starts to get hot, it's internal resistance goes up. Then you may think your shield is not working in really cold temps, when it actually it would work correctly, if it could get the current it requires. That is why the manufacturer always tells you to wire the thing direct to the battery. But, to each his own. We all get to learn our own lessons. :)

I had this happen. It turned out to be a shorted cord to my helmet. Although the cord looked perfectly fine. I replaced my faulty cord and haven't had a problem since with the 3 amp fuse. I'm really not one for upping fuse sizes either as this could overload that circuit... however..... I do have very toasty hands via my rewire of the hand warmers. :Rockon:
A 5 amp fuse shouldn't be too big of a deal though. Before I do that theough I think I'd wire from the ignition or from to battery. Good luck!!

Len Todd said:
One other thing, ... when using a heated shield via the accessory socket, as the undersized wire starts to get hot, it's internal resistance goes up. Then you may think your shield is not working in really cold temps, when it actually it would work correctly, if it could get the current it requires. That is why the manufacturer always tells you to wire the thing direct to the battery. But, to each his own. We all get to learn our own lessons. :)

Wouldn't be alright then if we left the 3amp in there and it didn't blow fuses? I would assume in my case the Gps and heat shield didn't overload the circuit. It would be using the circuit for what it was designed to do and the shield would work normal.
I am curious now on how much current my Garmin 60CS and the heatshield together draw. I didn't think it was 3 amps but after hearing guys claim fuse failures I should find this out.

TBay Sledhead said:
I don't think that the GPS uses very much power as it will run for over 20 hrs on 2 AA batteries.

In my recent poking around it seems like less then an amp and the shield is less then an amp as well..

Wear is this fuse located. I am doing the plug and heated shield thing and I would like to buy a couple spares just in case?

Thanks,

PH

It is on the left side of the snowmobile,you have to take of the side panel and it is right there in a black box. There is a spare already there along with someother sizes.

Back