• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone else heard this....

DeerHuntr

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Heard through a friend that Yamaha will have their own wiring harness and their fuel injection and ecu in the Viper. Apparently cat is on their own with the 7000 with the fuel injection and wiring harness.He says there will be more differences between the two then people realize. He knows some people up at cat and usually knows his #*$&@. No idea if its true or not

That's what I had heard as well but he said he heard otherwise. Maybe Yammi wasn't satisfied with what cat did??? Found it interesting, like I said he usually knows his #*$&@.

Maybe they are finding they can't get the cats FI to stay running like the demos that would conk out when the throttle was released.
Will cats FI be a good fit to the finish on the Nytro mill....WHO CARES!!!!LOL

I also heard today that Yamaha changed over 170 different fasteners throughout the chassis on the Viper.

Not sure about the efi but I know the fasteners is solid info.

Yamaha should come clean about this and release some kind of official information - what are the EXACT differences compared to the Arctic Cat. If they are trying to tell us the exact specification is not yet decided, they are lying. Production starts in couple of weeks which means suppliers of chassis parts as well as electrical parts are already producing. For sure they know EXACTLY which chassis reinforcements that differ to the Cat and for sure they know which bolts, rivets, fuel injection and wire harness they will use. Claiming that this will be decided later in the summer is just bullshite...!

Still, Yamaha should come clean about this. I have a feeling this can be the deal breaker for some of the most loyal and most "fit and finish wanting" customers.

Though, maybe the contract between the two companies will stop both of them from talking about the differences...? Releasing information that shows higher quality components in one brand could be disastrous for the sales of the other brand...?

You hit it at the end, each manufacturer is doing some of their own stuff and doesn't know if the other is going to follow suit.

FWIW, I can confirm some of it.

Saw the new Viper Saturday and talked to my Yamaha Canada Rep.

He said that in addition to Yamaha clutches and a bunch of small things that the Viper will have Yamaha fuel mapping and the have made changes to the internals of the Cat chaincase. The ECU will have the O 2 sensor feeding it info. Sounds good to me.

Pretty hard to beat Yamaha clutches & Clutching, Gearing and ECU mapping. Viper will have all 3.

Cat will have their own mapping, clutches and chaincase internals.

The ZR7000 and the Vipers are the same sled.
No different bolts and nuts, no different fuel maps, no different chaincase.
Yamaha clutches, Yamaha splines on the j-shaft, different plastic and different shocks. That's it.
It's gonna be a real nice sled, especially boosted!

jdinny said:
Yamaha clutches, Yamaha splines on the j-shaft, different plastic and different shocks. That's it.
the chaincase has been improved alot by yamaha and cat will be using there changes aswell..fuel maps are different between the two companys ..there are no doubt diff fasteners..and bolts have been upgraded in rear suspemsion for both companys...j-shaft has not been changed there using cats..you are right about clutchs and plastic though hahahha and the plastic is not very different they only cut the part that goes down around the front off..

nytrolabrador said:
jdinny said:
the chaincase has been improved alot by yamaha and cat will be using there changes aswell..fuel maps are different between the two companys ..there are no doubt diff fasteners..and bolts have been upgraded in rear suspemsion for both companys...j-shaft has not been changed there using cats..you are right about clutchs and plastic though hahahha and the plastic is not very different they only cut the part that goes down around the front off..

Negative ghost rider. They're the same sled except the differences I stated. We sell 'em both.I'd be pretty hard to get a Yamaha clutch on a cat splined j-shaft, haha
Have a great day

I am fortunate in my area to have four dealers that are both Yamaha and Cat as well as two that are Yamaha and Polaris as well so you can compare side by side on the show room floor and ask questions of people who no vested interest in BSing you of the benifits of one over the other, (they will sell you either).
After spending about 3 hours with one of those dealers yesterday and takeing a good look at 2013 models side by side.
From 10 feet away they both look good, upclose and personal the Yamaha is a (little better).
Fuel injectors, check specs in brochure (same as Nytro).
Fuel mapping ECU/ECM done by Cat with Yamaha guidance.
Wireing harness, I have never heard or Cat having issues ( thats a Polaris problem)
IMO Viper or 7000 will both be good sleds, advantage to Yamaha only because of clutches (belt life).

Back