• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has there ever been thought about a trailer forum here????

I like the idea also. I wish they would make an oil bath bearing along with the rubber torsion suspension what an awesome combination that would be for a trailer.

Sled Dog said:
I like the idea also. I wish they would make an oil bath bearing along with the rubber torsion suspension what an awesome combination that would be for a trailer.

Oil bath is the WORST thing invented for recreational trailers!! The maintence requirements and attention that they need is rediculous...and they leak!!!

Sled Dog said:
I wish they would make an oil bath bearing along with the rubber torsion suspension what an awesome combination that would be for a trailer.

Floe trailers now have that. They started using them in the past year or two. BigGuy/Jerry has those on his Floe trailer.

DoktorC said:
Sled Dog said:

Oil bath is the WORST thing invented for recreational trailers!! The maintence requirements and attention that they need is rediculous...and they leak!!!

What maintenance there should only be 1 check the oil level and add some if needed. If they are leaking maybe they were made in China by Sum Ting Wong. :tg: :tg: :tg:

impalapower said:
Sled Dog said:
I wish they would make an oil bath bearing along with the rubber torsion suspension what an awesome combination that would be for a trailer.

Floe trailers now have that. They started using them in the past year or two. BigGuy/Jerry has those on his Floe trailer.

I will have to ask him how he likes it and if he has lots of maintenance and leaks. ;)!

Oil bath hubs need to be rotated often to keep a coating of oil on the bearings (because they are only half full). So, trailers like boat trailers or snowmobile trailers that sit for say half a year at a time need more attention. There is also the issue of leakage which has been wide spread in the boat trailer business. The feature I like about regular greased hubs is that if a seal leaks you have alot of time to deal with it..if a seal leaks on an oil bath you have a couple of miles before the bearings sieze and screw the hub, bearings and usually the spindle..that's no fun. I really don't see the reason for them..it's not like a greased hub is a problem. Most of our tow vehicles have greased hubs lol.

BTW I'm a trailer guy..and have LOTS of info on this subject and trailers in general...if you like.

Not that i'm against another forum just wondering how much one can say about trailers? Is there enough info to share that it would stay an active forum or would it gather dust after a while! Could always post it as a poll and ask for people to vote for, or against it and state their opinions. Majority rules as always.

my 2 cents

Fair enough but every big rig truck trailer on the highway use oil bath so they are reliable I would think. I seen a poster on a high end travel trailer I think it was called a dexter.

Ya highway trucks all use them but I would think they are of higher quality then we see and they are always moving.

In regard to another forum I would think we can cover most of this in the general forum or a Misc. forum if we really want another one.

Convert said:
Not that i'm against another forum just wondering how much one can say about trailers? Is there enough info to share that it would stay an active forum or would it gather dust after a while! Could always post it as a poll and ask for people to vote for, or against it and state their opinions. Majority rules as always.

my 2 cents

Maybe it's just me as I'm interested in getting a new 4 place trailer this year. There are many trailer manufactureres & I'm sure that some are better than others. I just thought that it might be a good idea to share info.

Personally, I don't want anything as big & heavy like a car-type trailer, but this Floe trailer caught my eye & am wondering if anyone's got any information (pro or con) about this unit, or similar trailers.........

6c_12.JPG

DoktorC said:
Ya highway trucks all use them but I would think they are of higher quality then we see and they are always moving.

i work as a mechanic in the heavy truck industry. most of the fleets are going back to grease packed wheel bearings. oil seals on highway unist are only good for a year to year-1/2 depending on the contamination getting to the seal. thbere is a transport company out there getting 1million km per set of wheel bearings on grease vs 6-8 months on oil.

grease is the way to go by far. less mess and less downtime.

Back