• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

header / max boost ?

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
sidewinder
I thought I would start a new thread , chatting with different guys about headers , there seems to be guys that have installed headers on there sleds and r now struggling to make boost over 17-18 psi , even after turning up to max 20 , I for one have a header and last season struggled to make boost but found out I had a boost leak at the hose clamp , I have now fixed this but haven't tried out this season , I will be trying all max 17 threw max 20 soon to see my boost levels r correct ,
r there anyone out there that feel the header is not giving them the required boost ?

I've never been that high on boost, but doesn't the waste gate start opening at those levels?

I've never been that high on boost, but doesn't the waste gate start opening at those levels?
im not sure , maybe the guys that don't have a header and have been on max20 should chime in and share what boost there seeing ? apparently from what I have been told there is not a header tune from td , also been told the waste gate actuator spring is weak and won't hold closed properly , I no there r ways around this , but curious if anyone is experiencing this ?

I have a header and a stage 5 sled with no header mine qith header sees on average 17.8 lbs and the non headset sled sees 20.1 lbs the problem is the header flows so well the waste gate cannot hold it and starts to open sooner

I have a header and a stage 5 sled with no header mine qith header sees on average 17.8 lbs and the non headset sled sees 20.1 lbs the problem is the header flows so well the waste gate cannot hold it and starts to open sooner

Which is faster of the two?

My sled with the header pulls a little harder but it has the td stage 6 so not only header but even when the stage 5 jumps out on it it will real it in

can u explain stage 5 kit ? im aware of stage 6 not stage 5 , is it the tune not allowing the waste gate to stay closed or is the actuator the issue ? truly td does not have a header tune to my knowledge , maybe this needs to be addressed by the tuner (TD) , I have a flasher from both tuner hurricane and td , ill try both to see if the waste gate actuator is the issue

can u explain stage 5 kit ? im aware of stage 6 not stage 5 , is it the tune not allowing the waste gate to stay closed or is the actuator the issue ? truly td does not have a header tune to my knowledge , maybe this needs to be addressed by the tuner (TD) , I have a flasher from both tuner hurricane and td , ill try both to see if the waste gate actuator is the issue
No it is not the tune not allowing waist gate to stay closed, say your on the max 20 tune the Ecu monitors boost and will not send boost to the actuator to open unless target is reached. So extra flow is pushing gate open. I guess one question is should we be running 20lbs of boost on say 94oct or is race gas needed? Maybe the 17-18lb is a good limit before a locker? Otherwise ideally TD come up with a suggested wastegate maybe with a matching tune? Or A slight shim on stock actuator on current tunes would work also for the guys that want to still run the tunes between 17- 20lbs.

I believe TD recommends getting the upgraded fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator when you have the header because the engine runs leaner, as it flows better with the header. You have to adjust the fuel pressure to maintain the correct a/f ratio to account for the increased flow the header allows. TD has specific tunes for the upgraded pump/header combo. I know because I have it. TD won't release that tune to you unless you have the upgraded pump. Being a lawyer, I assume that's for liability purposes lol

No it is not the tune not allowing waist gate to stay closed, say your on the max 20 tune the Ecu monitors boost and will not send boost to the actuator to open unless target is reached. So extra flow is pushing gate open. I guess one question is should we be running 20lbs of boost on say 94oct or is race gas needed? Maybe the 17-18lb is a good limit before a locker? Otherwise ideally TD come up with a suggested wastegate maybe with a matching tune? Or A slight shim on stock actuator on current tunes would work also for the guys that want to still run the tunes between 17- 20lbs.
being that said , anyone using or buying the header is limited to max17 on pump gas at this point , after that u will need to use a locker or shim the actuator to achieve more boost with race fuel ?

To build on what OdegC said, I believe TD recommends 98 octane when running Max Spool 20. You get that by mixing ~1 gal. of VP C16 (120 octane) for every ~4 gal. of 93 pump gas, roughly. I can tell you that my engine did not run nearly as smooth or as crisp on Max Spool 20 with just regular Sunoco 93 pump gas compared to adding ~25% C16.

I believe TD recommends getting the upgraded fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator when you have the header because the engine runs leaner, as it flows better with the header. You have to adjust the fuel pressure to maintain the correct a/f ratio to account for the increased flow the header allows. TD has specific tunes for the upgraded pump/header combo. I know because I have it. TD won't release that tune to you unless you have the upgraded pump. Being a lawyer, I assume that's for liability purposes lol
I have all of what u mentioned , I asked about header tune and was told to use the fuel reg for now ,there is no specific header tune , unless this was just released ?

have u tried max 20 ? and what boost r u seeing ?

I have all of what u mentioned , I asked about header tune and was told to use the fuel reg for now ,there is no specific header tune , unless this was just released ?

There is definitely an upgraded pump version of the tunes. Do you have that? I believe this covers the header issue because you can adjust the fuel pressure and a/f ratio to match the header's flow. Sounds like a good question for Ben/Mike!

Back