• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Headlight Keeps Burning Out

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 phazer and the headlight keeps burning out and blowing the fuse. I have tried putting in a bigger fuse to remedy the problem and I'm still getting no results. It will blow out the fuse within 10 seconds once you switch from low to high beams.

Any ideas?

You may have a short in your headlight harness. It happened to me on my Apex. Pull the fuse out and connect an ammeter in the circuit and see how many amps its drawing. What may be happening is that its trying to light both the high and low beam at the same time. If that's the case it will probably try to draw somewhere around 19 amps. Anything less than a 20 amp fuse is gonna blow.

Putting in a higher rated fuse is NOT a fix.

Is the bulb actually burning or is the fuse just just letting go?

You probably have a short somewhere.

What is the standard size fuse? And how big have you tried that blew?

ok, please only use the stock fuse (20A) as it is a circuit protection device. It is there to protect both you and the sled.

Amps will go up if there is less resistance, less resistance can be a short. Electricity takes the path of least resistance and if you have a short it will bypass the load (the resistance in this case the lights) and cause the amp draw to climb.

Look for a chaffed wire starting at the plugs. Make sure the plug is in good condition as well.

Check out the blue wire with the white stripe in your handle bars. It may have rubbed on something that's moving.

Another possibility is the filament within the bulb has shorted to another filament. I've seen this happen in taillight bulbs.

If you have flipped your Display Pod, the wires will rub against the bracket and eventually wear down. Dont ask how I know.... Use a spliced rubber hose and wrap those wires.

Back