• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Heard a little 09 rumor yesterday.....

rightarm said:
The engine in the Fx is more closely related to the 04 Moto G.P bike than the RX1 hence the designation M1,which is lighter and makes more power,this is essentually a bike motor in a marine application.Which is a 4 valve head with 1 piece cases.Intake ports are angled more than the RX1 engine too giving it a straighter shot to the combustion chamber.

no..the MR1 (marine) is a big bore genesis engine...5 valves...I have one. Same gear reduction...it's the same engine just bigger. You are right that it is mostly a bike engine...but so is the RX engine...because they are the same engine.

rightarm said:
The engine in the Fx is more closely related to the 04 Moto G.P bike than the RX1 hence the designation M1,which is lighter and makes more power,this is essentually a bike motor in a marine application.Which is a 4 valve head with 1 piece cases.Intake ports are angled more than the RX1 engine too giving it a straighter shot to the combustion chamber.

The FX engine is close not very close compared to the M1 engine. Generally speaking only the use of 4 valves pr. cylinder is the same. Reason why the M1 has 4 valves is more torque down low, makes for faster turns on the bike and harder accel out of the corners. The M1 engine makes max power at about 18000 rpms. Also the M1 engine has pneumatic valve lifters, the FX Nytro engine hasn't. The FX fuel injected engine is closer to the M1 engine than the RX-1 engine tho :)

Re: Horse Power potential...

OneBadWarrior said:
The Apex motor is easily capable of 180 hp in factory trim. The sport bike version of the 1000cc R1 engine was tipping the hp scale at 180hp first year with FI. Yamaha could easily produce a 180 hp Apex if they wanted to with mild changes to the stock platform!!! :die

Not correct. The first R1 with FI (the second R1 version) was the 2001 YFZ-R1, makes 150 HP same as Apex. The 2004 version makes 172 HP. The 2008 version makes 180 HP.

rxrider said:
The FX engine is close not very close compared to the M1 engine. Generally speaking only the use of 4 valves pr. cylinder is the same. Reason why the M1 has 4 valves is more torque down low, makes for faster turns on the bike and harder accel out of the corners. The M1 engine makes max power at about 18000 rpms. Also the M1 engine has pneumatic valve lifters, the FX Nytro engine hasn't. The FX fuel injected engine is closer to the M1 engine than the RX-1 engine tho :)

I think he's talking FX140...the PWC rather then the FX Nytro...At least that's the way I read it.

OK DoctorC. Only thing I know of the FX140 is that it was a derivate of the R1 engine, first version.

DoktorC said:
rxrider said:

I think he's talking FX140...the PWC rather then the FX Nytro...At least that's the way I read it.

:Rockon: I am talking about the 08 FX H.O which has the M1 based Moto G.P engine of 06,07 with 4 valve head,the New engine in the Moto G.P has less cc than the 06,07 M1 and like mentioned the pneumatic valves,wereas the FX 140 has the R1/FZ1 based motor.It's going to be great when Yamaha up's the ante on the other Manufacturers once again! ;)! :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

The 08 FX HO has a big bore version of the FX140...It's a 5 valve motor. The FX HO has been the same for a few years....I have one. It has 5 valves per cylinder.

The 08 FX SHO has a 1.8L S/C'd engine...which would be something in the lake racer class...

Edit...the FX HO even uses the same intake cam as my 05 RX...but the exhaust cam is different from both the RX and the Apex...

Silly season ey? Whatever, Yamaha can deliver even more fun if they want to :)

This idea may have been posted already or it could just be a dumb idea?

But what about a 3 cyl Phazer motor 750 cc 120 hp? That would be lighter than the current 120 hp right?. Then they could SC it (hp with no extra heat) that could add 30 - 40 hp and then you would have a 750cc 150-160hp sled.
Then a 1000 cc 4 cyl 160 hp version add SC and you might get a 190-200 hp sled. Hmmmm. That could be fun !!
And then they could use some of the same parts throughout the line. (Valves, pistons, bearings, Super charger, Fi system, plugs)

Just a thought. And its mine so if Yamaha does it I want the 1st 1000 sc from the factory.. ;)!

:yam: :4STroke:

QCRider said:
sandy8657 said:
Most 600 cc class sleds are putting out around 120 hp,
Most open class sleds ( 800-1000 cc ) are putting out around 150 hp.
Seems like that is what the public wants.
Do you really think they'll get into a hp war?
160 hp, 170 hp, 180 hp?
The average rider wont want to pay the insurance premiums on these type of sleds.

Here's the problem with your statement. The insurance companies don't charge based on HP, we all wish they did. They charge based on displacement, and 1000cc's is the big number. My Friggin' Vector costs almost as much to insure as my RX-1. The only reason for any difference is the price of the sled. Why snowmobiles are still classifiied by displacement is a major beef of mine. Outboard motors are not and have not been forever. I know that Yamaha has been lobbying to get that changed, because it hurts 4 stroke owners. That's why they are pushing the whole 120 hp class and 150 hp class thing.

State Farm Insurance rates are based on the value of the vehicle...doesn't matter if it's 440cc's or 3000 cc's. I pay less in premiums every year that the sled depreciates.

SharkAttak said:
any news about the 09' yet?

Word on the street is no official news on the '09's until March.

Between now and then it sure is fun reading about all the rumors.

Back