• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmet Communicators choices

bigdog_mike

Lifetime Member
Ready to make the purchase of helmet communicators for my modular helmets, let me say that i once used the Collett communicators back in the early 2000 as they were the best at that time, but with all the upgrades and many models that are now available on the market with all the bells and whistles the choices are much harder to make the plunge. The field of units out there I have narrowed down to are the Sena SMH10, Scala Rider G9, Interphone F5, and Chatterbox. I like the blue tooth connections to my phone for the times that signals get blocked by the terrain or the distance between users is greater than the units can handle. Also the battery life and ease of use and pairing units is important, and with a modular helmet the placement of mounting of the unit and mic boom is very important too as most modular helmets also include a sunshade switch that maybe covered by the communicator units. So my question to TY users is which model do you use and are they living up to what you expected? With them costing $250 for Sena SMH10, $500 for Scala G9, $450 for Interphone F5 and $300 for the Chatterbox, as i need to purchase 2 units which the prices listed are for 2 units, I was hoping for some feedback from TY members

I still have my collet communicators since 2005 and they still work pretty good. But, curious to see what else is out there.

Just an FYI Bigdog, probably would more opinions if this were in the general area so all model sled owners could see this :)

Trying to help :)

I am thinking about the Sena. 2 freiends have them and like them

Our group switched to the chatterbox x1slim. It is a Bluetooth (BT) as well as GRMS (walkie-talkie) system.

The main pros,

Unlimited number of users (that was always an issue with the pure BT systems)
2-5 Mile range (The BT can't come close) between each unit/units. Hopping between them you can actually get a message to a guy 20 miles ahead.
BT for phone, music, GPS etc.
Cheap passenger "intercom" headset
Over 8 hours runtime (actual usage)
Very loud speakers (the loudest of any system we have used/tested)
Music first with a graceful switch to communication/phone etc.
Not full duplex (you can't hear your buddy breathing hard, whistling/humming/singing along to his tunes - swearing at his non TY sled - bit****g that he can't keep up, etc).

The main cons,

Not full duplex you need to use a "Push to talk" button (on unit, or on handlebars) or VOX (voice activation) to talk to the other riders in the group.
1 Person at a time transmitting (when multiples are talking, your unit will synch to the strongest signal).
Cost (at 225.00 they are not cheap)
Size, they are bigger than the pure BT units

Last edited:
We have been using the Colletts for 10 years or more, and the technology has definitely improved. We purchased UClear HBC200 units (@$400 for the pair) for our motorcycles this summer. I was amazed at how well they performed. The microphones are located in the earpiece, so there is no mic boom. They are installed on Arai and Shoei full face helmets, but we used them with the shields in the up position, and could still talk in normal tones at 50-60 mph or more. I have installed them in our snowmobile helmets for this season, and after demonstrating them, convinced my riding buddies to purchase them as well. I just bought the Yamaha FXR Fuel modular helmet, and easily installed the unit. Although I have not used it on on the trail yet, the performance at home is identical to the performance in my full face motorcycle helmet. The sales manager at our local Yamaha dealership used them last year, primarily for listening to music while riding, and telephone communication, and he loved them!

Ive been running Colletts for years. biggest downside is the new batteries every 2 years. the batteries dont go bad, the wires fray or something from all the movement/flex they do, and cause interference.
if your collett starts working Horribly, swap the battery.
Second, I must add this, when collett had that "trouble" patch a couple years ago, I tried to move away to the top of the line chatterbox with bluetooth for streaming music etc.
this unit is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!! and overpriced at that....think it was the xrms1 or whatever. have to study the manual for hours to be able to use it, dig out the manual everytime u want to pair bluetooth, the range sucks, and interference is horrible!!! every motorola walkie talkie is on the same common channels!!
Also, forgot, i hated the chatterbox mount. clamp/screws didnt seam secure.
love the idea, love the groomer warning beacon, love the sound quality(doo kit thin speakers).
wish it had a little more range for the IDIOT in my group that decides to stop on his own. im not a bad leader, i check for my flock at intersections rd crossings etc if he wanted to stop he could signal me. he just does what he wants, and the rest of the group has decided to leave him the next time he pulls that #*$&@.
most of these communicators are good for a 1/4 mile or so, less if its not line of sight.
how far do these uclears go?
hows sound quality? its like a rock concert in my helmet, half the reason i run one is music.

Last edited:
I've been using Uclear HBC 200 communicators for a year and half now.. both snow and street applications.. The HBC snow is the same as the motorcycle model FYI... same temp range and etc...

I love the boomless mic feature as well as the repeater function which uses each rider in the chain to repeat the signal between the group which helps with range. There is also an accessory to extend the mic's forward closer to your mouth inside the helmet and it's still technically boomless should you need that...

I find that the system works very well and I especially like the ear bud accessory since I prefer to ride with ear plugs when not riding with the Uclear system.

Sound quality is great but I use the ear buds so that's cheating lol. You can stream music and if someone talks it interrupts the music and then it resumes after the conversation.

Last edited:
I have used the Scala Rider communicators and love them. They are very easy to use and the battery last wasily all day long. I like the option for blueooth which allows me to listen to my music until someone talks then it interupts it unti lyour cconversation is over and starts automatically again. No wires to deal with when taking helmet on and off it is a standalone unti. I would highly recommend it all though I have nerve used anything else.

The UClears work with the "breath box" in my FXR modular, but it has a very open design. The helmet actually has pockets built in that work well for the speakers, and I was concerned that they would muffle the sound going to the mics, since they are built into the speaker/earpiece. I think that there is a slight muffling from that placement, but it still comes through loud and clear. The impression I get is that whatever sound quality is in the helmet, is the sound that is transmitted out. I had two UClear 200's set up in FXR helmets, and used them as demos for my riding buddies, who have been using the Colletts, and after trying them, they ordered UClears for riding this season. So, bottom line is that if your voice is a little muffled by the balaclava or breath box, that is probably what will be transmitted to your riding buddies. If you are really concerned, they do have an optional speaker/mic that has an extension to get the mic closer to your mouth.

The advantage that the old Colletts have over these Bluetooth units is their range. Depending upon conditions, and whether we were in the open fields or in the woods, the Colletts had decent range most of the time, but the sound quality and the constant audio interference were horrible and distracting. Half the time, I could not understand what was being said. The UClears are crystal clear, and even though I am hard of hearing, I can hear and understand what is being said without effort. I have been riding with my wife on our bikes, and the range is acceptable, but I am anxious the ride with my group (4-5 riders) to see how the multi-hop technology affects the overall range. With the Colletts, two people could not talk at the same time and be understood; also, I found that the next person in line behind me might hear and acknowledge warnings about oncoming sleds or obstacles, but usually the last riders were out of range, and the warning would have to be relayed back. If this multi-hop works, all riders will hear all conversations, and that will be a huge improvement.

Back