• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmet for glasses

Kevin

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
I have sold my Oxygen helmet since it didn't work with my glasses.

For you guys that wear glasses what helmets do you use?
And do your glasses have those little plastic things that hold them off your nose?

Ski doo Mod 2 . Its the only one that has worked for me over the years and I have tried everything . I buy a Shammy at the Auto parts store and trace the cloth insert for the face guard . They can be washed and rinsed out 100 times or more . Make sure the mouth and nose mask is adjusted right and tight . Keep the outside chin vent closed until everything warms up. Coat your glasses with mild liquid soap and let dry for 10-15 mins and then buff off with non marking cloth . Best and cheapest Anti Fog I have found and every bathroom has soap on the trail. Except If you use a Tree for you bathroom stops :) I have had to replace the snap on the helmet on one side . Thats the only Maintenance I have done to the helmet. A small amount of Vaseline on the snaps makes on and off real easy .

i use a hjc cl-max with heated visor without the breath box. makes me fog worse with it in. works great until -25 c in the shade or dark. starts fogging for some reason but out in the sun at -40 c no problem.

I use a ckx trans and ware glasses also you need a breath guard if you ware glasses and I have the same with plastic tips on the nose Piece of my glasses as you the guard has to be tight to your face and I even sometimes rest my glasses on the guard any helmet with a guard should work as long as it is tight to the face it took me awhile to get it right. But even at -25 no fogging

Confused (newbie) - Need to buy two helmets for the 2020 winder S- TX Touring (XL) ...were all old and wear glasses, well.. maybe not all. Anyways, I believe I have connections for heated visor helmets. I'd like to take advantage of these features if I can. My ATV helmet has a slot/notch for glasses but when their in the notch the glasses don't fit flat on my face, is awful, so I want to get the sled helmet correct/right for glasses
  • Multiple Accessory Power Plugs
    Both driver and passenger are provided convenient RCA DC outlets for heated helmet visors plus a socket type outlet located in the console to power-up other 12V accessories.

This setup has been amazing for the past two years. I even went with the 509 heated goggles to eliminate that last bit of fog when stopped. They can run all the time, but I just use the 2 minute on function when I stop, or am breathing heavy. As that was the only time they still fogged.

https://rxgoggles.com/

509 setup.jpg

Confused (newbie) - Need to buy two helmets for the 2020 winder S- TX Touring (XL) ...were all old and wear glasses, well.. maybe not all. Anyways, I believe I have connections for heated visor helmets. I'd like to take advantage of these features if I can. My ATV helmet has a slot/notch for glasses but when their in the notch the glasses don't fit flat on my face, is awful, so I want to get the sled helmet correct/right for glasses
    Both driver and passenger are provided convenient RCA DC outlets for heated helmet visors plus a socket type outlet located in the console to power-up other 12V accessories.
[/QUOTE
I believe the heated shield does NOT always keep the glasses from fogging. The lenses still get cold and the humid breath still condenses on them. I am interested in these responses as a good riding buddy limits rides for this very issue.

I got my helmets at Mom's in Foxboro, HJC I believe, see the guy in the parts/appearell area, he's super nice and very knowledgeable ...I wear glasses and the helmet works fine I just need to pull it open a bit at the ears and slide it over my head...sometimes I just put the glasses on after the helmet...other option is contacts. I see you have the same machine I have, it does have helmet jacks for both riders. Have you had any issues with your sled yet? I absolutely love mine, we had a Venture TF, it had track drone and was too tippy for us so we got the STX..so much better to ride. Have you replaced the ski's yet, what have you used for rear view mirrors, what other mods have you done? Happy to see there is another STX owner on this site. Joe

I'm going to get a Mod 3, different forums have highly rated the helmet for glasses I get a new prescription every year so not sure prescription googles would work.. Need to find my size..

My sled has never seen snow, its all apart in my garage in Peabody. Bought it February on sale , ordered the hybrid Proline trailer, then the virus hit. In order to pickup the sled they had to open the closed dealership special for me but my that time the season was over. Currently ordering accessories for it. Literally just got a sled lift today. I'll PM you my sled spreadsheet. I also have a touring ATV (2017 Polaris 1000 Sportsman touring) I've had good luck with it so i figured I"d do the same w/ a 4-stroke snowmobile.

I'm going to get a Mod 3, different forums have highly rated the helmet for glasses I get a new prescription every year so not sure prescription googles would work.. Need to find my size..

My sled has never seen snow, its all apart in my garage in Peabody. Bought it February on sale , ordered the hybrid Proline trailer, then the virus hit. In order to pickup the sled they had to open the closed dealership special for me but my that time the season was over. Currently ordering accessories for it. Literally just got a sled lift today. I'll PM you my sled spreadsheet. I also have a touring ATV (2017 Polaris 1000 Sportsman touring) I've had good luck with it so i figured I"d do the same w/ a 4-stroke snowmobile.
the Mod 3 looks like a nice helmet. So sorry to hear you never got a chance to get on the trails...you bought an incredible 2up machine that rides fantastic as a single. I've got 725 miles on mine. One thing your going to need to change is the ski's...the Tuner 3 ski's are fine on hard pack trails but are the not so nice in any depth of snow, especially fresh snow, they just won't steer and keep the sled on top. I had to be pulled out a couple of times by my buddy on a Doo crossover, so the Tuners have to go.
Good idea on getting the lift, I got one and glad I did, the lift from what I understand helps save the machine and makes I easier to work on. My upgrades will be new ski's, mirrors, belt adjuster / changer tool, shields for the tunnel, chain case shield, gps holder, ride lite, maybe mechanical power steering or power steering ( if budget allows). I'm not "tuning", I don't want to take a chance and void the warranty. The only problem so far has been the oil tank gasket...the shop had a problem getting it sealed up...Yamaha has been good on the warranty...one of the saddle bags wouldn't close properly and they sent a new one. Joe

I have used the bv2s from brp since it came out. I struggled for years with fogging of my eyeglasses. I tried everything. Goggles worked but I found it a pain to make sure everything was just right to have no leaks and at -15 below cruising railroad beds at 80mph+ it was cold. The bv2s is super quiet, super warm and I never ever fog the shield or my glasses. I got one for my wife this year as well. She does not wear eyeglasses but was always cold with her mod 3. She previously had a mod 2 which was better and we made the mistake of "upgrading" to the mod 3. Leaked around the shield, took it back to dealer and they put new shield under warranty. Still leaked, they took it back and gave her new one. That one leaked less but still leaked and made her eyes bloodshot after a few miles. Brought it back and they gave her another and this one was no better. Went on dootalk and did some reading and there was some changes in the shell design between the mod 2 and mod 3 and lots of guys unhappy with the mod3. I ditched it and got her the bv2s and she was sooo much happier with it. Couldnt believe how quiet and airtight it was. It is on the heavier side though compared to some helmets out there but it is awesome for what it was designed for........being 100% fog free in all conditions and warm.

Thanks for the info on the bv2s. Can you comment on the size? What size do you wear and what does your wife wear? Not sure where I can be fitted in July. I wear 7 5/8" fitted Red Sox baseball cap. My ATV helmets are X/L & L, but not sure if CMP fitted me properly, X/L is tight, need to open the helmet to put it on. Other people (family) will also be riding this 2-up sled. A woman's helmet is usually a size smaller? Probably buy them local (NH) in case of a return. Alot of money for helmets when sled need stuff.

Thanks for the info on the bv2s. Can you comment on the size? What size do you wear and what does your wife wear? Not sure where I can be fitted in July. I wear 7 5/8" fitted Red Sox baseball cap. My ATV helmets are X/L & L, but not sure if CMP fitted me properly, X/L is tight, need to open the helmet to put it on. Other people (family) will also be riding this 2-up sled. A woman's helmet is usually a size smaller? Probably buy them local (NH) in case of a return. Alot of money for helmets when sled need stuff.
I wear a xxxl and my wife has a large I believe. I have a big head and around the time they changed from the mod 2 to the mod 3 they also changed the shell slightly on the bv2s so this newer shell runs a smidge smaller than the older helmet. My wife usually wears medium on most helmets but the bv2s was a bit too snug for her to get over her head comfortably. The brp sizing runs very similiar to hjc helmets from my experience. I dont know what size I am in fitted caps so I cant help you out there for comparing.

Back