• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP handle bar risers causes code 84

big_red1a

Expert
I removed the stock block and installed rox 5-7 "ajustable risers. It is only an inch or so higher but i get a code 84 on the dash. The throttle cable has no tension on it as i rerouted it under the front of the column. I think the problem came from the bars hanging while i assembled the new riser. the skis are straight and I have turned the key off and on several times and it does not reset. Any Ideas?

code 84 is T.O.R.S

you can disconnect the two wires and connect them together,and never see code 84 again.
Although it is a safety feature,or supposed to be a safety feature,not all that safe when hillclimbing and tors kicks in.

Re: code 84 is T.O.R.S

motorman said:
you can disconnect the two wires and connect them together,and never see code 84 again.
Although it is a safety feature,or supposed to be a safety feature,not all that safe when hillclimbing and tors kicks in.
If you do this you should have a tether installed or ya might regret it start it up and and turn the bars side to side if rpm doesn't increase at full lock maybe disconnect the negative side of the battery and wait a few min then reconnect see if it goes away. maybe some one has a better idea how to reset

You may have damaged the sensor at the end of the cable at the thumb throttle. If you take it apart there is a little tab that holds the barrel on the end of the cable in place and there is a tab over it I can't remember what it looks loke but I broke one last year in a slow roll over and the TORS would kick in at the most oportune times.

If you go the tether kill switch you need to get the normally closed one. I by mistake bought an open one which is what most places sell and it would short out the main electrical and burn 2 fuses a real pain out in the night at 30 below.

code 84

Not sure that I want to disconnect the tors? In the trails I can see it being a good thing. As far as hillclimbing goes have you ever taken this thing off the trail, it goes nowhere fast. I guess I will try to disconnect the battery. If I remember it is a pain in the but. does anyone know how this system actually works. I had the problem before messing around with the throttle end of the cable. But when I moved the cable to the other side of the bars I may have damaged the white plastic cover that is on the flipper end of the cable.

Make sure the cable is fully seated in both the trottle lever and the throttle body area (on top of the motor). If all looks good you should just have to adjust the endplay so that there is 1-2 mm of gap between th throttle lever and the throttle block before the cable starts to move. Worst case scenario you'll need to order the Mtn. cable. $25.00 and no worries about cable lenght at full turn, not a bad option if you go 1.5" to about 3" above stock.

does anyone know how much higher i can go with the mountain cable? can i put on the rox 6-9 ajustable risers? does the cable have anything diffrent about it to make the tors work or is it on the throtle body? would any aftermarket cable still allow this saftey feature to work?

I had the Mtn. cable with the 5" riser no problem, I would think you could probably get away with a 6-9. Someone may know for sure. The cable doesn't have anything special other then it's longer. Other after market cables (assuming they are made for the Apex) will work. I would recomend at least getting a one piece, not extensions. MPI offers other extened length cables as well. The Mtn one is just nice as it's inexpensive and maintains the stock look. Search the mtn. forum as I'm sure someone has added rise to their Mtn. That should give you an idea of how far you can go with the Mtn cable.

LJ 452 said:
I had the Mtn. cable with the 5" riser no problem, I would think you could probably get away with a 6-9. Someone may know for sure. The cable doesn't have anything special other then it's longer. Other after market cables (assuming they are made for the Apex) will work. I would recomend at least getting a one piece, not extensions. MPI offers other extened length cables as well. The Mtn one is just nice as it's inexpensive and maintains the stock look. Search the mtn. forum as I'm sure someone has added rise to their Mtn. That should give you an idea of how far you can go with the Mtn cable.
lj 452 did you have to extend any other cables besides the throttle for 5" rise?

I just installed a Rox 3.5" riser on my Apex along with the stock riser. I switched out my stock throttle cable for the mountain one. When I first started the sled code 84 poped up. Just adjusted the cable free play and it went away. With the stock riser and the Rox it's about at the limit with the moutain cable.

I did change the Parking brake cable, but didn't need to there is plenty of slack. The brake hose was ok as well, at more than 5" you may need to go longer, not sure, possibly relocate. If you need the brake line let me know I have one as I ordered it but didn't need it. In fact it's still in the plastic.

Re: code 84

big_red1a said:
Not sure that I want to disconnect the tors? In the trails I can see it being a good thing. As far as hillclimbing goes have you ever taken this thing off the trail, it goes nowhere fast. I guess I will try to disconnect the battery. If I remember it is a pain in the but. does anyone know how this system actually works. I had the problem before messing around with the throttle end of the cable. But when I moved the cable to the other side of the bars I may have damaged the white plastic cover that is on the flipper end of the cable.
All my riding is off the trails my friend,disconect it or dont,its yer sled.But if i was you ,i would atleast make sure i knew what the two wires that make the tors work are.It is a pain in #*$&@ when it starts to act up,and it will! And i disconnected mine after it started to act up on the first ride,i already knew how to deal with it,so it wasnt a big issue,if i didnt know what to do,i wouldnt have had such a good ride.

Back