• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help - Lost the sublead connector on 06 handlebar upgrade

r6chiro

Veteran
Hi,

I lost the sublead connector for the 06 handlebar upgrade. I spoke to the dealer who would only sell me the entire kit for $150. Has anyone been able to purchase the connector seperately? Or it is possible to wire this on your own. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TY!

Here is the schematic with the p/n for the sub-lead.

If you want hot hands use this sub-lead with your original '06 bars. If you change to the '07 bars you will not gain much if anything.

The sub-lead (which changes the grips to parallel wiring) in conjunction with original '06 bars is the "hot fix".

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 113
r6chiro,

Good luck. PM me if you need help. Welcome to TY! Please add your location to your profile.

The sub lead works mint, just ran my RTX and could only have warmers on 2nd bar, the kit retails for 29.95 so your dealer is stroking you, and that includes the 07 bars!!!

Mercer5,

That would be a great deal if you actually needed the bars. However you only need the sublead p/n 8FP-82318-10 which had a price of $8.12 but unfortunately is no longer available from Yamaha.

If anyone else with an '06 wants to update to parallel wiring I would check with your dealer to see if by chance they have the sub lead in their inventory.

Kevin @ Port Yamaha told me that neither the sublead by itself or the entire "kit" (sub lead and '07 bars) are available from Yamaha anymore so I guess that you were lucky to get your hands on a kit (no pun intended).

Just remember guys, if you get the "kit" do not use the '07 bars. Just use the sub lead with your original '06 bars. Be careful with this "hot fix" because you will burn your hands if you turn the controls up much past halfway!

So I tried wiring up the sub lead as per the diagram with no luck. Still getting the Code 81. Shouldn't the BR & the BR that show no connection have a connection?
Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a simple schematic as the other one is really not so easy to follow. You will be using just the yellow/red wire and the black wire (hot & ground) from the sled and both grips connect to them the same way. One wire from each grip to the yellow/red wire and the other wire from each grip to the black wire. The brown wires are not used in this parallel circuit

Attachments

• wireing_grips_137.jpg
    wireing_grips_137.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 423
Wired correctly, thanks for the simpler version. I'm still getting code 81 and no heat. If I disconnect the bars entirely code 81 remains. Is is possible the computer sees an open circuit and is disallowing the pulse from going to the warmers? Sorry, I'm electrically and electronically challenged.

So how exactly do you wire this in parallel without the sub lead? I have the 06 bars but never got the update kit so I have no sub lead.

mack7 said:
So how exactly do you wire this in parallel without the sub lead? I have the 06 bars but never got the update kit so I have no sub lead.

See my post above from 1/3/09.

checked the fuses, all good. Except haven't checked the main fuse near the battery. The thumb warmer works fine, just the bar warmer issue. Has anyone successfully changed the wiring to parallel without using the sublead?

Error Code 81

I got that error today. I switched the leads going to the main harness and now I have plenty of heat and no error code. Hope this helps.

Back