• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HELP! Using LOTS of oil

Mike Kroener

Lifetime Member
As in full to oil light coming on in 150 miles.....

Sled 2006 ApexGT

Oil used: Amsoil 0w-30 or 0w-40 (don't remember which, yellow cap)

Mods: PCIII, Ign module, Holtzman N20 (two 15 gram nozzles), Cr10 EK plugs. Nitrous program retards timing and adds fuel, on top of the fuel that the holzman unit adds (set PIG rich)

I noticed a problem a couple weeks ago after 3 full pulls across lake Gogebic in the UP. Used all my N20 (2.5 lb bottle, about 30 seconds worth) in about 5 second each incriments before I got to Gogebic....Oil light came on during my ride back to WI.

Thought I failed to completely fill the system at oil change. Added to full mark and didn't ride until this past weekend. This weekend rode hard with a couple of WFO (4 miles at a crack) lake runs. Was pulling my usual 118 mph (Without N20) and sled ran fine......
Oil light came on again......checked, low on oil.

Sled runs great (idle is a just a little sloppy compared to normal), seems to make normal power

Airbox was full of oil and water mix after the gogebic run as well... a cup or so.

Appears to be oil residue on my back bumper from BOTH exhausts pipes. It actually looks and feels more like soot from running rich, but could be oil

Thoughts and/or suggestions, ideas to diagnose???

Is there some sort of Positive crank ventilation system on the Apex. Or am I probably looking at something major like rings...?

Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance......

Mike

Sounds like you need to do a leak down test on it. My 03 on nitrous did the same thing but I could get a few more miles then that on it before the oil light would come on.

HELP

Thanks for the response Kinger.....

So was your issue indeed rings? If so, did you do the repair yourself? I have had older generations of this motor apart, so I am pretty comfortable with that....just want to make it to the end of the season.

Oil use

I have 07 attak I bought new I use about 1 qt every 350 miles my dealer said there was nothing wrong even under warranty .This is even before I did the mods so cant blame it on them. Mine also is in the air box. I have done a leak down and a compression test everything OK , they WILL NOT tell you in those test if you have a bad oil control ring it will only tell you if have rings that are not sealing and down on power and You can have good compression and good leak down but still have poor oil control ring. But I think that it is the crank case ventilation. For me oil is cheep and I can live with it until i get into the motor Thanks Yamaha had this problem since new no help.

The motor is toast. Nitrous will do that with out more octane. Detonation!

Guessing you will need pistons, rings and re-nicasiled if the bore is out of round.

KnappAttack said:

Guessing you will need pistons, rings and re-nicasiled if the bore is out of round.

Wow... that sucks... Probably didn't want to hear that.. I was considering nitrous back when I did my RX-1 turbo but I wanted constant power, didn't want to have to push the button...

Did you have the air box off just prior to the oil consumption issues?

If you did, before you tear into the engine check the breather hoses connecting the engine to the air box. If you have them reversed (Easy to do) you will end up pumping oil into the air box.

Hope its this simple!

Help

Thanks All for the great feedback to my dilemma!

I am going to first check the hoses and from the crankcase to the airbox, Soldiers papa, I hope you are correct!!
If that fails to be the fix, I will do a compression and leakdown test. If I going through two quarts or so in 150 miles, and it is rings,

Knapp, and any other engine experts; I should be able to hear air coming through towards the bottom of the motor if a cylinder or rings are bad, correct??

Soldier's papa- Thank your son/daughter for me for everything they are doing! The longest year of my life was when my son diployed to Iraq....

Thanks again, I will let you know the verdict by this weekend!

Mike

Re: Help

Mike Kroener said:
Soldier's papa- Thank your son/daughter for me for everything they are doing! The longest year of my life was when my son diployed to Iraq....

Thanks again, I will let you know the verdict by this weekend!

Mike

Mike,

I'll pass along the thanks to my son.. Justin (also in Iraq for a year). Please do the same from me to yours.

Justin was there Dec 03-Jan 05. It too was a long 13 month for me!

Best of luck with the sled!

KnappAttack said:

Yep definably a ring and piston problem, thats what happened to my sled with nos on pump gas, with race fuel I put through 8-10 bottles on one weekend no problem.

A leak down test does not always show oil loss. There are compression & oil rings. Although oil @ your exhaust & intake are a good sign of failure...

Back