• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HH questions

iarx1

Veteran
Late last year I bought a set of HH's from Jeff Simon and due to poor snow conditions was unable to try them. We got a couple of inches here last night and I just got back from short bean field ride. The engagement is about 4000 (I was unable to nail it from the start, new ripsaw was racheting) at about 25 mph and nailed it goes INSTANTLY to 10200 and holds. The thing feels like its running hard (but they all do the first time out and by yourself). The thing I really noticed is that a 45 -50 mph it seems like the motor is reving higher then before and your giving it more thumb, its over 7000 rpms at that speed. I have a Team Industries roller secondary on and last year Jeff was not sure how his set up would be with it. Is this what everybody else is experiencing? Your input is appreciated!!

You may consider loosining up the secondary a bit. When properly setup, the HH's will not decrease your MPG and will REV very similar to stock calibrations. Roller secondarys shift very rapidly and do take some tinkering with to get how exactly as you want...BBY

BluebyYou: Thanks much for your reply. What RPMs should the sled be running at 45-50 and could you elaberate on loosening secondary. Thanks much!

The team roller uses a very large torsion spring. It holds back the upshift on the secondary so it will backshift better. The result is you are usually stuck in a lower gear then you should be at cruising rpm. It is like driving your vehicle on the hi-way at 80 mph with the overdrive shut off or in 2nd gear at 60 mph.

Turk: Thanks for the reply, sounds like something I'll have to live with if I want to keep the roller. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Its early yet, lots of time to make changes.

It doesn't look like you can mess with the twist on the team roller secondary (because there is none), but you CAN change the helix and spring. The springs are $20 each, the helixes are $80 each.

Just figure out which spring and helix you need, $100, and it should do whatever you want it to do.

You might try giving them a call, their webpage is http://www.team-ind.com

I measure secondary twist with a fish scale. Just see how many pounds pressure it takes to open the secondary. Stock RX-1 setting is about 25 pounds which is high in comparison to most sleds out there. Just as a cross reference a stock 700 srx uses about 14-15 pounds pressure.

HH's

Well I finally got a chance to really put the HH's to the test today. Me and some friends rode at Tughill..We did some drag racing on a hard packed road. Man I was getting my arse kicked by everything accept a 600 Polaris...Pretty sad! I'm running the set-up that BBy said to run..But man it just does'nt seem to have the midrange power band like it used to. BBY what do you think the problem might be?.. It's running 10'200 out of the hole straight through mid. to top end. Here's the HH set-up I'm using:
Rider 200 lbs
HH set-up
Heel 3/4 allen
Middle 3/8 steel with thick washer
Tip 7/16 with thin washer
Stock Helix
Stock secondary spring set to 80 twist

10,200 is too high out of the hole. You gotta hit about 9800 & climb slowlyyyyyy to 10,200. Add a 1/4 allen to the heel & loosen the secondary 10 degrees. You will see a big diff.

Lighten it up put a thin washer in middle and back off on the bottom. What if any traction products do you have? The problem with the big hit on the bottom like the big 9800 hit is the overshift and not being able to come back out of it. Winding the secondary more will help a little but I run mine at 90-100 degrees to help the backshift. These engines really level off from 10,200 to 10,500 so if you hit 10,500 under normal conditions you will still see 10+ in deep snow, warm weather etc...
Lon and I discussed this alot in the past and after alot of testing this is the best all around pattern I have found.

Silver spring is what you need, stock for RX mountain. Stock spring has too many twists and seems to bind near full shift.

Thanks Guys!

Thanks guys for all the info. BBY I am running the silver secondary. And yes I'm studded. I added 1/4" allen to the 3/4"allen in the heel aswell. Sounds like I need to pull my RPM's down on the bottom end and the mid. range correct? Thanks again. I'll try some different set-ups this weekend and let you know.

Thanks guys for all the input..this is a great site and its because of all of you. I thought I'd give you a little update..went out testing again this afternoon, but this time with another sled (03 ZR 900, stock). We were unable to race from the dead stop because I was racheting so bad, but did do 6 rolling starts 35 to 100 and never did see that kitty's taillights pulled him 1-3 sleds everytime and held. This was on a snowcovered bean field and I will say that ripsaw really hooks, the ZR guy said he was slipping and was overreving..oh well. So for now the clutching is going to stay right where it is. One bad thing.. with the loose track the studs ripped off the rear of my heat shield.

03 RX-1, ripsaw track, 120 woodys down the middle, HH's, Team roller secondary, green Holtzman spring, Max performance rear shocks and front spring, Long link.

iarx-1... How did the green springs work for you?? I tried them and noticed a slight hesitation around 5-6000 rpm when I quickly go to WOT. Did you notice this ? Did you fix it ????? By the way...how are those HH 's??

Back