• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rx1 won't Idle and takes off and surges to 6,000Rpms

Carbs may be out of sync, they need to be synced everytime they have been off the sled IMO. Get hold of a good carb sync tool....

RX1 Idle still jacked !

O.K. guys, cleaned the jets again. bought the Yamaha Carb cleaner this time soaked and cleaned up better this time. Could see through pilots this time. changed plugs, put her all back together and the same problem. Tank, lines and complete carb disassemble next. I seem to be wasting alot of time? atleast its summer! Right?

Have you checked your carb boots, if they crack you will have air sucked in after the carbs making one or more cylinders running lean, that may explain the idle problems and when you give it a little throttle rpms runs up fast, very typical signs of a lean condition. Also, are you 100% sure you have installed the air filter boots correctly onto the carbs?

I say it again.... syncronize the carbs, they may be way off creating lean conditions in one or more cylinders. Every time I check mine I have to adjust, they're always off a little. When I've had the carbs off and cleaned them, they are always way off and the sled will not run right.

Good luck, and thank god it's summer still, would have been a bad situation if it was winter already and the sled wasn't running right, you know what I mean LOL :)

Thanks RX, I did not notice the carb boots but will check again. The old plugs look pretty dark and no evidence of any lean condition. I plan on taking the carbs apart again and will do more investgating. It acts almost like vacume leak so I plan on really checking everthing. If I can't fix and or plan on taking to dealer for pre season check up, carb syn........

They won't go white from idleing the sled you gotta run it WOT for a while before you get the correct color to them. I don't know the answere to your problem, seems like a tricky problem you've got there. Hope it all works out well before riding season :)

Spray some ether or carb cleaner around the boots while its running and see if it pick up speed, then you know you found a leak.

You sure its revving to 6000 rpms? That is a lot even for a lean condition. How is your throttle tension? Got the recoomended slop in it?

Soon I am going to check these things out. I picked up an 05 RX1 War and boy its nice to hear that motor purrrrrrr. My 03 will comeback right I am sure! Thanks guys

RX1 saga continues

Back working on my 03 RX1. Started the sled just to see what she would run like, One side was flooding out ( fuel running out vent lines) shut her down. Pulled the carbs yesterday, they look the worst yet, two bowls full of sediment! other two not quite as bad. Looks almost like someone dumped ash or belt dust into the fuel system! The pieces of crap are pretty large in size( How does that stuff get buy the inside fuel filters! I guess I now have no choice but to clean the tank! How is the best way to clean tank, replace internal tank filters? fuel pumps? Any ideas? I have been using alot of fuel system cleaners since I started with this issue, I guess the stuff had been in the tank and is now broken up and making it's way out? Let me hear what you guys think?

Well I think the best way to clean the tank would be to take it off. That will only be your first step as you have to find the source of the debris a line or a diaphragm in the fuel pump has deteriorated and needs replacement. I am thinking its one of the lines that are inside the tank.

Pumped out Tank

Yesterday I removed 99% of the fuel using a wet vac dumping into a gas can. Looks like the source was in the tank. I noticed the same debris looking through a flashlight down the cap hole. I plan on removing the inside filters through the acess holes line attach to. Sledhead thanks for the input, I agree some of the matrial could be Black hose but thier appears to be some green also showing up in the carb bowls. I will post more info once I can see inside the tank with the internal filters removed. I am thinking of using some line filters also to help in the future. The tanks looked pretty dirty inside. I think it was in there when I bought the sled last year and just losened up with all the fuel cleaners I have used?

I would put inline filters on for sure and get some aviation fuel in there as well. It still has lead in it and will kill any kind of growth going on in the system. Make sure all your lines are good to go as well clean your carbs one last time and you should have it fixed.

Towards end of last season my RX1 started to exhibit the same symptoms. I traced to back to arcing coils. I removed the gromet seals on top of the coils (right below the connector), slide them down and off. Reinstall them and start the sled. I noticed arcing even at idle, when i burped the throttle, WOW fireworks show. Sad thing, ALL four are finished. Interestingly enough, my second ride last year it ran fine. Two weeks later went to go for another ride and as soon as i started it up and it came to idle, i noticed my RPM's were lower at idle. Thought one of my friends was playing a trick on me. Later in the season it got progressively worse. Anyways, give it a try and check it out - its an easy test.

Nick...

If you ever going to change out the coils go with 2005 coils, they stick really well into the plug holes. Very hard to remove.

RX1 update

Pulled off the carbs, cleaned and blew out all lines,jets..... cleaned and flushed the tank as best as possible. In tank filters looked O.K. Added two filters inline between tank and fuel pump. Fuel system is as clean as I think I can get it. Going today to buy new plastic gas can and fresh gas for attempted start tonight. I will post the result's tommorrow. Wish me luck. I also installed my ECP kit with Evac ( since had her tore down anyway). Thanks to all who have posted helpfull hints. I also plan on syncronizing the carbs if she runs better!

Good luck Bluebullet :) you'll get it running I'm sure of. With the ECP filter kit, go with 165 mains and 2 turns out on the pilot screws for your altitude. The silver carb springs from Holtzman Engineering will give you better throttle response and a few HP more. Carb sync is MANDATORY when going to KN style filters, just do it and you will find that some of the carbs are way off, some of them always are. Any question, feel free to ask, I've ran the ECP with evac kit in both my '03 and '05 RX-1s way back.

rxrider

Back