• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

HID headlight issue driving me crazy

karlburns

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 apex xtx
2010 vector ltx gt
Okay so before I just rip the dash out and install a 40” light bar to be dramatic someone tell me why my hids hate me this year.

I installed a set of ddm tuning hids two years ago in my 2010 vector that worked great until the end of last season. When you start the sled they both fire up then going down the trail I’ll hit a bump and the left side goes out. If I ride long enough with just one eventually it’ll go out as well. If I stop at any point and shut it off and restart they both kick on. I thought it was a bad ground on the one side so I rewired it to a ground I know is good but it did it again yesterday. I checked over all the other plugs and didn’t find anything lose. Any thoughts? Is this a symptom of the bulbs dying or what? Thanks in advance

Had the same issue with DDM ballasts in my truck. I swapped to morimoto ballasts 35W not the 55w which HIDS were never designed to handle. Never had a issue again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i put the ddm hid in my apex mabe 4 years ago and havent had a problem since, last year i boght the ssme kit to put in my peterbilt hiway tractor because they worked so good! wrong! had nuthin but problems with it, took out and put ddm led light bulbs in, way brighter light, basically zero install procedure, no ballast , and think it was only like 30 bucks more for that kit compared to hid, when my apex hids start giving me problems im just switchin to led!

Does anyone remember what the bulb types are that these sleds run? I want to order a replacement and can’t get to the sled atm. Also do you think I need two new ballasts or just the one that goes out first?

Had a similar issue and found that on one of the quick connectors to the ballast/lamps had the steel portion inside back out into the base of the plastic connector, difficult to see until you look into each connector to make sure they are in position. Worth a peek to rule it out.

Back